What do you think about mini trucks?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What do you think about mini trucks? within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; So, I got a little side cash and I figured it's time for an upgrade to my ATV. It's still running good and all, just ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What do you think about mini trucks?

Banned

What do you think about mini trucks?-mini-truck.jpg

So, I got a little side cash and I figured it's time for an upgrade to my ATV. It's still running good and all, just want something....different. the atv gets little use now (though today I'm definitely feeling my feet) and I got looking around.

No polaris. I am NOT giving you 14,000 dollars for a mid sized ATV. I'm just not. BUT I have had my eyes on these things for some years. it would actually be smaller than my trailer and take up less room. Has a cab, a/c it's 4x4. 660cc engine 3cyl, 900lb payload 1700lb towing capacity the bed folds into a flatbed, radio heat and room for extras like lights cb etc.

I think it could be a lot of fun and get some fairly serious work done. somewhere between a side by side and a gator? People live by them in japan. My mechanic bill could work on it, it's just a honda. Parts apparently are easy to come by on ebay. most of it is CR-V and civic stuff.

what you think?

Will admit to looking at those Roxors. Little out of my price range being a cheap bastard. Will most likely pick up a Ranger reg cab 4x4 if I can find a nice one. Plan on keeping it under 3k.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

Denton, Slippy and Smitty901 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini truck.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	106517

So, I got a little side cash and I figured it's time for an upgrade to my ATV. It's still running good and all, just want something....different. the atv gets little use now (though today I'm definitely feeling my feet) and I got looking around.

No polaris. I am NOT giving you 14,000 dollars for a mid sized ATV. I'm just not. BUT I have had my eyes on these things for some years. it would actually be smaller than my trailer and take up less room. Has a cab, a/c it's 4x4. 660cc engine 3cyl, 900lb payload 1700lb towing capacity the bed folds into a flatbed, radio heat and room for extras like lights cb etc.

I think it could be a lot of fun and get some fairly serious work done. somewhere between a side by side and a gator? People live by them in japan. My mechanic bill could work on it, it's just a honda. Parts apparently are easy to come by on ebay. most of it is CR-V and civic stuff.

what you think?
    Leon,

Can't find too many Cons about that little truck especially for around the farm etc.

Pros;

A/C-WOW! "Nuff Said here in the south!
    900lb payload-decent and comparable to the UTV's
    Same with towing

Cons (for me)
    I'm 6'4" and there is no way in hell I'm squeezing myself in that little cab and enjoying it. Probably good for a little fella like you.

Keep us posted on the results!

But since you asked, I've been saving my money for a Bobcat Toolcat! I need something with a little more HP (60HP in the Toolcat) and a little more towing (4000lbs in the Toolcat) and more front end loader capacity than my tractor (Toolcat has 2000lb)

One day, one day. This I shit you not...

Last edited by Slippy; 05-30-2020 at 02:41 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What is it classed as in you state. Here in many areas ATV's can be operated on public roads. But if some like that can be licensed for public road use you then must register it and put plates on it and insurance all the thing you do for a normal car or truck.
    Leon, 65mustang and stevekozak like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    What is it classed as in you state. Here in many areas ATV's can be operated on public roads. But if some like that can be licensed for public road use you then must register it and put plates on it and insurance all the thing you do for a normal car or truck.
    Yeah it's kind of iffy here, the seller says you can tag and insure it, yet others say you can't. But you CAN if you can justify it being for farm use? I could argue yes I farm stuff (whatever amount of bean sprouts I got in the garden) and put a warning triangle on the headache rack? That's how I see most the american ones on youtube. So technically with my insurance, orange reflector triangle on the back and license in pocket I can drive it up to the corner store to gas it up.

Or can you? On a federal level no. State yes. But like in states where you can drive them it's on roads 55 or less and the car actually stands as a classic because it's of such an age. There is a guy I see all the time run his kubota utv up the road his has the triangle. I drive my atv up the shoulder but I go the same way. This thing could drive up the shoulder, that shoulder runs fairly flat for a good long ways either way. If I drive it on the shoulder there's nothing anyone can do. It's like a told a cop one time who stopped me for riding there are no laws regulating driving atv's on the shoulder. None. I had my helmet on there was nothing he could do. He was fairly surprised when it was true. But another cop I asked, larry he said hell yes you can drive it with tag and insurance he sees amish driving goddamn horses and buggies on the highway- again, with an orange triangle on the back. Freeway still off limits.

I guess what constitutes a 'farm' or agricultural property is a broad term.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Yeah it's kind of iffy here, the seller says you can tag and insure it, yet others say you can't. But you CAN if you can justify it being for farm use? I could argue yes I farm stuff (whatever amount of bean sprouts I got in the garden) and put a warning triangle on the headache rack? That's how I see most the american ones on youtube. So technically with my insurance, orange reflector triangle on the back and license in pocket I can drive it up to the corner store to gas it up.

Or can you? On a federal level no. State yes. But like in states where you can drive them it's on roads 55 or less and the car actually stands as a classic because it's of such an age. There is a guy I see all the time run his kubota utv up the road his has the triangle. I drive my atv up the shoulder but I go the same way. This thing could drive up the shoulder, that shoulder runs fairly flat for a good long ways either way. If I drive it on the shoulder there's nothing anyone can do. It's like a told a cop one time who stopped me for riding there are no laws regulating driving atv's on the shoulder. None. I had my helmet on there was nothing he could do. He was fairly surprised when it was true. But another cop I asked, larry he said hell yes you can drive it with tag and insurance he sees amish driving goddamn horses and buggies on the highway- again, with an orange triangle on the back. Freeway still off limits.

I guess what constitutes a 'farm' or agricultural property is a broad term.
    I have no idea about your state. A check with your DOT would likely give you the answer. In most state if it can be licensed for road use and you do not operate it on a public road all is good ride it around on private land all you wish. But the second you set foot on a public road it comes under their authority and you will pay. ATV's can not be licensed . In some states if it can be licensed and you do not because you use it on private land and are caught on a public road you can be forced to pay for plates from the day you purchased it. They treat it as you have been doing it all along. In many states driving anything on the shoulder is a no go.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 05-30-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Around here it's pretty rural with the occasional farm tractor on the road. ATVs and UTVs are generally allowed on the road for short distances, less than about about 2-3 miles. But if you're in one of the small local towns you'll need a helmet if you're on an ATV.

Two years ago they opened up many roads to ATV's. Speed limited to 35mph under 18 helmet required . Limit short use of the shoulder on state roads to get to another road . It has worked well so far no real problems. I support the move. You can run all over the place if you figure out the routes. Not uncommon to have a group of 5-10 come riding by. Lot of older people.
    That said. get caught with a vehicle that would normally be licensed as a Motor vehicle. You better have have some cash in the bank.

Atv's and UTV's are legal to drive on the roads & highways and in the cities. Need turn & brake lights, tags, insurance. Looks to be more room in that little cabover than there is in my Rhino and I'm 6'2" and I fit in the Rhino pretty well. How much do they cost? Who makes them?

Many "rural" states have laws that allow 'off-road' vehicles on public roads even when they're not insured, plated, registed and have no lights. They may be restricted solely to farm or agricultural use when on the road, but it would be allowed.

No farmers around me have plates, brake lights etc. when they're running their tractors, combines and other machinery down the road. Just the orange "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign on the back is all they need.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links