Camper shell outfitting tips and ideas
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Camper shell outfitting tips and ideas within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I was recently given a camper shell that matches and fits my 2011 f-150 king ranch. Ive been using c-clamps to get by. But plan ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Turboyeehaw
  • 1 Post By bigwheel

Thread: Camper shell outfitting tips and ideas

I was recently given a camper shell that matches and fits my 2011 f-150 king ranch. Ive been using c-clamps to get by. But plan on getting proper shell clamps. Any suggestions.

The shell is off at the moment. I just had the bed rhino lined. While i have it off i was gonna go ahead and do any upgrades and start planning out how I wanna set it up. Im pretty good on general prepping gear food equipment generators jumper packs etc.

Im looking at a folding memory foam mattress. Adding battery powered or solar led’s and outlets to power electronics.

the back glass that is behind my rear window is solid at the time so there is no way at the moment to pipe in the trucks ac/heater. I would like suggestions on how i may do that.

Me and my little boy are taking it on a rafting trip in a couple weeks so im sure that will be a good dry run to see what else’s is needed. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all.
    bigwheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboyeehaw View Post
    I was recently given a camper shell that matches and fits my 2011 f-150 king ranch. Ive been using c-clamps to get by. But plan on getting proper shell clamps. Any suggestions.

The shell is off at the moment. I just had the bed rhino lined. While i have it off i was gonna go ahead and do any upgrades and start planning out how I wanna set it up. Im pretty good on general prepping gear food equipment generators jumper packs etc.

Im looking at a folding memory foam mattress. Adding battery powered or solar led’s and outlets to power electronics.

the back glass that is behind my rear window is solid at the time so there is no way at the moment to pipe in the trucks ac/heater. I would like suggestions on how i may do that.

Me and my little boy are taking it on a rafting trip in a couple weeks so im sure that will be a good dry run to see what else’s is needed. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all.
    Welcome, please head on over to the Member Introduction section and tell us a little bit about yourself! We'd love to hear.

Here is a link to one such site that can steer you in the right direction;
    https://www.truckoutfittersplus.com/...mps.htm#clamps

Ordinarily, I have no problem "jimmi-riggin' most things but as far as securing a camper shell or anything else on a truck that might be reaching speeds of 90+ miles per hour on the Interstates and potentially killing someone if the load falls off, I'd go with the manufacturers suggested clamps for your truck and your camper shell.

Yeah, I know, I'm a kill-joy...

PS
    Where are you going rafting? Whitewater or lazy river style?

First off, welcome!

Secondly, I love the idea. Is this intended to act as just a sleeping area, or a mini-camper setup? Space is limited, so my guess is just sleeping, with any creature comforts that can be made to work.
    I would caution the use of the vehicle's heater/AC while idle. You'll be sleeping in your own exhaust fumes. You might go to bed comfy, but wake up dead. If you vented the exhaust away from the sleeping area, that would alleviate the issue. I imagine a dryer vent hose would work for this, but you'd want to be sure it could take the heat.
    Piping the cab's air into the camper could be accomplished from the windows. A simple cardboard cutout that fits across the top of the window when rolled down a few inches, a hole or two, flexible AC vent pipe routed from the cardboard to the sleeper. The whole thing can collapse back down to packing size. I would leave the final step to you, as it would take knowledge of your shell's design and/or compromising the shell itself. That might kill the whole idea.

I'd be interested to see the final result. Sounds like a great little camping setup.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Turboyeehaw View Post

Thanks to all.
    My dear old chum had a cool shell we used for deer hunting. He had a piece of plywood with a stablizing runner or two which he laid across the bed crossways. Made a great bed for two and two or three more could stetch out lingthwise underneath. Good storage under the top bed when not it use by a bunch of drunk sportsmen and or lady sports enthusiasts. Deer hunters can be a hot commodity for the ladies who inhabit small town dance halls they say.
    Slippy likes this.

Check out Expedition Portal. Lots of great ideas on that forum.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/

You can buy regular topper (camper shell) hold down clamps at an RV store or,amazon.made of aluminum think C clamps with pads to protect both sides.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Sponsored Links