Diesel vs Gasoline - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Diesel vs Gasoline

This is a discussion on Diesel vs Gasoline within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Originally Posted by jimb1972 A diesel will run on about anything, Mineral oil, vegetable oil, jet fuel, the first one made ran on peanut oil. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Diesel vs Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    A diesel will run on about anything, Mineral oil, vegetable oil, jet fuel, the first one made ran on peanut oil. No electronics necessary on the older ones.
    Interesting. I thought it ran on coal ash , the first diesel engine that it.

The first diesel was designed to run on coal powder but the experiment failed because the inventor could not accurately meter the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder.

Any thoughts on ethanol? Depending on where you live ( I am brazilian), ethanol is the cheapest fuel. In my state the price is almost the same of gasoline, but in other states, it gets at almost half the price.
    My mother used to have a F-1000 truck long ago, and in winter it would not start.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Part of reason people are switching to gas is the buy in cost. Plus all the new emission BS on the newer diesels. IMHO after the early 2000's the manufactures slit their throats with the new engines. Doesn't mean they are dead. Just have to educate yourself on what to buy and what to avoid.

Personally I won't buy anything newer then 1994 for a Ford IDI diesel. Mainly for the reasons others have already mentioned. Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
    Slippy and Smitty901 like this.

Back in the early 80s almost 50% of the cars in Brazil were running on alcohol. They were designed for it. But I wouldn’t want to pay the same price for ethanol and gasoline. Ethanol has less energy so you would be paying for fewer kilometers per liter vs gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavanna View Post
    Any thoughts on ethanol? Depending on where you live ( I am brazilian), ethanol is the cheapest fuel. In my state the price is almost the same of gasoline, but in other states, it gets at almost half the price.
    My mother used to have a F-1000 truck long ago, and in winter it would not start.
    Ethanol is of the devil.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    My company truck, a GMC Sierra, runs on regular gas, just rolled 204,000 hard miles. We have a regular PM program at our company and run only synthetic oil. We routinely get 3, 400,000 or more. At about 200K they usually send them back to our service department to utilize and the salesmen gets a new truck. Besides a radiator, tires, and breaks I have had to do very little in actual repairs.
    In 11 years and 199,000 miles I'm on my 3rd set of Goodyear Wranglers.
    Factory brakes lasted me 120,000 miles on the front, and 140,000 on the rears. When I had the rears replaced a leaking wheel cylinder was replaced also.
    The alternator was replaced a month ago.
    I have done engine belts, need to replace radiator hoses. Spark plugs were replaced at 160,000.
    Other than that, plus three transmission servicings, I have had to do nothing else.

I am very happy with my GMC Sierra 1500, in a lifetime of Ford trucks this is only the 2nd General Motors I have owned.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Newer diesel are much harder to covenrt to run on other fuels . To many emission systems added to them. The older Detroit diesel were a 2 cycle diesel. injectors not pump control fuel. You could do a lot with them.
    Mule13 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Newer diesel are much harder to covenrt to run on other fuels . To many emission systems added to them. The older Detroit diesel were a 2 cycle diesel. injectors not pump control fuel. You could do a lot with them.
    Agreed, any product that adds soot/ash content to the exhaust will cause a system failure of the exhast aftertreatment system.

Another point to consider is that the fuel pressure has increased substantially while operating tolerances have become tighter. This has caused fuel contamination to be a huge issue.

In the 60's, the avg pump/injection pressure was 5000-7250psi with operating tolerances of 50 micron. In the 90's, pressure increased to 18,000-22,000 psi with operating tolerances of 35 micron.
    Today, we have pressures up to 36,000psi and a tolerance of 2-4 micron. For reference, the diameter of a red blood cell is 8 micron. We cannot physically see the contamination that can damage fuel systems. That small particle passing thru your fuel system at high pressure is now eroding fuel system components, sticking valves and clogging or sticking open injectors. Sure, fuel filtration has gotten better, but none of them are 100%. Fuel quality is a major issue on todays engines.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MD1908; 10-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD1908 View Post
    Agreed, any product that adds soot/ash content to the exhaust will cause a system failure of the exhast aftertreatment system.

Another point to consider is that the fuel pressure has increased substantially while operating tolerances have become tighter. This has caused fuel contamination to be a huge issue.

In the 60's, the avg pump/injection pressure was 5000-7250psi with operating tolerances of 50 micron. In the 90's, pressure increased to 18,000-22,000 psi with operating tolerances of 35 micron.
    Today, we have pressures up to 36,000psi and a tolerance of 2-4 micron. For reference, the diameter of a red blood cell is 8 micron. We cannot physically see the contamination that can damage fuel systems. That small particle passing thru your fuel system at high pressure is now eroding fuel system components, sticking valves and clogging or sticking open injectors. Sure, fuel filtration has gotten better, but none of them are 100%. Fuel quality is a major issue on todays engines.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    My sick mind has always dreamed of putting a 6V53 Detroit in a pick up truck
    MD1908 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links