New BO rig
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New BO rig

This is a discussion on New BO rig within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Went for a motorcycle ride early this morning before the heat and humidity got to bad. Cruising around a corner into this small town for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New BO rig

New BO rig

Went for a motorcycle ride early this morning before the heat and humidity got to bad. Cruising around a corner into this small town for gas and boy you couldn't miss this. Sitting in a yard with a for sale sign, $3200. Has to be a 460 gas engine I think and go on to the gas station. Well I just couldn't help myself so back to check it out. Looks nicer when your not flying by on bike. Check the fuel cap and holy crap it's a diesel.

About this time a truck pulls up and here the owner gets out he was getting coffee and the same gas station. He fires her up and it's the smoothest sweetest running 7.3l diesel I've heard in years. I look inside and it's just broken in with only 111000 miles on her. I quickly offered $2500 cash and we settled at $2800 I couldn't fricken believe it.

She's a 1994 F-350 4x4 with 7.3L non turbo diesel. Yeah the mechanic injection no fricken GD computer engine. BUT it's and auto trans which I can change to a 5 speed to have an all mechanical EMP proof rig. Has the Dana 60 front axle and manual transfer case with auto hubs, which will get change to manual. XL with no power window, locks cruise etc but it does have AC.

Called a buddy for a favor and a couple hours later she's in my yard. Cruised down the highway at 60-65 no problem. Have to fix a few minor things and give it a good going over. Wasn't really looking for a project but you HAVE to pick this stuff up when it falls in your lap.

Looking for any ideas or plans if others have turned one of these into a SHTF rig. Rip the back seat out and make a bed with lockable storage underneath. Ranch hand front bumper or maybe a homemade cattle catcher. Paint it so we could hide out in the woods or leave it as is. Could easily pass as an emergency vehicle with township fire painted on the side. Couple led lights on the roof. Flatbed with side tanks for water and extra fuel. Camper on back??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New BO rig-dsc01986.jpg  

New BO rig-dsc01987.jpg  

Camel923, inceptor, Slippy and 6 others like this.

Nice snag. Great price. Might pass as a township/county/state or emergency vehicle. That has positive and negative points. People may think public property and entitlement. That color does stand out. Best of luck with it.
    Last edited by Camel923; 08-12-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Paint it school bus yellow. I used to drive a crew cab long box for work, the only thing it was missing was the stop sign and flashing lights
    Glad my GMC is only 19'+

I'd say definitely paint it a low key color. A metal topper to help secure your gear and maybe a fold down shelf with a sleeping pad would be more comfortable than sleeping in the cab, unless your 5'4"
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Excellent! Great looking truck Chipper!

Gray Man or Yellow Man? Who cares, excellent find!
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Get yourself a couple of big magnetic signs for both sides that read "Hazmat Emergency Response Unit" and keep them behind the seat. Might be able to roll right through any number of roadblocks/problems with just the right toxic story to go along with it. "For crying out loud, STAND BACK and let us through! We got a hot boiling barrel of irradiated X96 hydrochlorethylyne back there!!!"

Awesome! Friend of mine does slate roofs, he’s run to NA 7.3s well north of 300k. Awesome vehicles.

Great snag. Congrats.

Looks like it was a volunteer fire department truck at one time. My local department had trucks this color with the strip. Does it look like they had radios mounted in it, how about some mounts in the back for a water tank?

Sounds like a plan Good luck with it.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Yeah, there are holes drilled all over the dash and trans tunnel. Bunch of non factory wiring hanging under the dash I'll have to sort out. Holes in the roof from antennas etc. Box had some sort of slide in tool box in the back the guy sold before I got to it.
    RJAMES likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links