Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here

This is a discussion on Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; When you buy... you need to consider what you will use it for. It is truly a 72 hr bag? Or... do you plan on ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here

When you buy... you need to consider what you will use it for. It is truly a 72 hr bag? Or... do you plan on hoofing it for weeks on end? Will you be climbing mountainous terrain with it? Do you want everything inside it... or do you want to hang objects from it? Things like this determine if you need a waist belt (for a lot of weight... i.e., carrying extra items for a small child) or if you can just go with a smaller pack and a chest strap (which I highly recommend...) Of course, these can be added after the fact as well... but a waist belt is usually integral to a pack. Do you want a hard frame, or no frame? Do you want an internal or external frame (so you can pull the pack off and use the frame for carrying other items)? It all depends on how you plan to use it. Learn from others... sure... but buy what you need and can afford, not what someone else has just because they recommend it. Their situation is very different than yours. And... I very much expect that you will buy one... use it, but dislike something about it, and over time will try and buy others. But... have something... even if it's not the "ideal" pack for your situation.
    Fuzzee and Tundra Dweller like this.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.

In a quick roundabout it's a Maxpedition Vulture II in OD with a usgi canteen, cup and pouch on the side and a Cold Steel Latin machete on the other. My UglyStick 2 piece also gets tied off with the machete side. That's a usgi poncho liner on top and a Recon III sleeping bag on the bottom strapped off. In the pack is a variety of food, (mre entree's, peanut butter, granola, spice mix, bouillon cubes, etc) and the necessaries for fire, water, shelter, food gathering, mapping, health care, alternative clothing. (OD BDU's) Things like headgear, knives, 550, fishing kit, sewing kit, poncho, gloves, survival books, cards, lighters, firesteel, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, vitamins, antibiotics, hygeine supplies, towel, Katadyn mini ceramic water filter, water purification tablets, hand saw, tweezers, nailclippers, cooking utensils, more 550, spare fishing line, flashlight and extra batteries, spare pistol mags, slingshot, etc, etc.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    When you buy... you need to consider what you will use it for. It is truly a 72 hr bag? Or... do you plan on hoofing it for weeks on end? Will you be climbing mountainous terrain with it? Do you want everything inside it... or do you want to hang objects from it? Things like this determine if you need a waist belt (for a lot of weight... i.e., carrying extra items for a small child) or if you can just go with a smaller pack and a chest strap (which I highly recommend...) Of course, these can be added after the fact as well... but a waist belt is usually integral to a pack. Do you want a hard frame, or no frame? Do you want an internal or external frame (so you can pull the pack off and use the frame for carrying other items)? It all depends on how you plan to use it. Learn from others... sure... but buy what you need and can afford, not what someone else has just because they recommend it. Their situation is very different than yours. And... I very much expect that you will buy one... use it, but dislike something about it, and over time will try and buy others. But... have something... even if it's not the "ideal" pack for your situation.
    That's sound advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

More of a GHB, but to give an idea:

http://www.truenorthgear.com/_large/25ff213_lo_01.jpg

2500 cu.in, main pack detaches from the frame, accessory pouch is permanently attached.

Adjust your packing list for the season. Extreme cold, summer, and mild temps. No need to carry a -30 degree sleeping bag in June.

Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here-img_20130211_144110.jpg
    MOS 13F

Yeah! I've found that surplus stores aren't what they used to be. They aren't places you can find deals anymore. Their only specialty is getting items you can only find there...and you pay for it! I like CheaperThanDirt.com (excpet for ammo).
    "Better to be lookin' at than lookin' for it!" Hidden Content

Former Texas Peace Officer, Fleet Marine Force combat Corpsman,
    CASEVAC and Combat Aircrew, Iraq vet (ground and air)
    Combat medical founder/owner/trainer for DTS North Texas
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TxCombatMedic View Post
    Yeah! I've found that surplus stores aren't what they used to be. They aren't places you can find deals anymore. Their only specialty is getting items you can only find there...and you pay for it! I like CheaperThanDirt.com (excpet for ammo).
    True most all surplus stores sell chinese product made for well, surplus/dollar stores. Try checking our old hardware stores, old western auto stores, go antiquing in small towns where you live, even old run down gas stations that have dusty items on pegboards behind the register. I have found original Stanley tools back when they were made here in the U.S. (Bridgeport, CT) now sold in walmart made in china. The new stuff is not bad, But I picked up the original Stanley tools for the old original faded price and the old guy was gentleman and I was happy to buy all he was willing to sell. I have found old signs, soda crates, Deitz oil lamps, railroad items, Hand pumps and had a blast with family and met some great folks along the way. I hope this helps. Good luck!

punch

Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    True most all surplus stores sell chinese product made for well, surplus/dollar stores. Try checking our old hardware stores, old western auto stores, go antiquing in small towns where you live, even old run down gas stations that have dusty items on pegboards behind the register. I have found original Stanley tools back when they were made here in the U.S. (Bridgeport, CT) now sold in walmart made in china. The new stuff is not bad, But I picked up the original Stanley tools for the old original faded price and the old guy was gentleman and I was happy to buy all he was willing to sell. I have found old signs, soda crates, Deitz oil lamps, railroad items, Hand pumps and had a blast with family and met some great folks along the way. I hope this helps. Good luck!

punch
    Remember when you could buy ammo at a feed store and rifles at the Gibsons or Motts five and dimes? Man, I miss those days...and I'm only 38.
    "Better to be lookin' at than lookin' for it!" Hidden Content

Former Texas Peace Officer, Fleet Marine Force combat Corpsman,
    CASEVAC and Combat Aircrew, Iraq vet (ground and air)
    Combat medical founder/owner/trainer for DTS North Texas
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TxCombatMedic View Post
    Remember when you could buy ammo at a feed store and rifles at the Gibsons or Motts five and dimes? Man, I miss those days...and I'm only 38.

Yup, you could dig out a couple of sks rifles out of a wooden barrel in woolworths in downtown Houston and spend less than a hundred bucks. I thought I had a handy parts/donor gun and ended up with two pretty good rifles. I'm a bit older than you and i miss them days too. You must have great memories of a paw-paw, dad or uncle taking you to those places and teaching hunting and fishing and family traditions.
    Thank you for your service TCM, its the gentlemen like you that made it possible for all of us to live in a free country.
    But for how much longer? Lets all hang together and work together for those who can't or never made it back because they already did. God Bless you and yours sir. Thank you for your service! And God Bless America.

punch (so glad you made it back to us)
    Last edited by punch; 02-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.

What I learned from setting up this bag is that I need a bigger bag for a full on BOB

Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here-2013-02-12-21.26.47.jpg

Here it is all packed up.

Please Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag Here-2013-02-12-21.31.57.jpg

Fixed blade knife
    Holster
    Xd 40 + 2 12 round mags
    SOG folder
    Lansky multitool
    Navigation Kit in a waterproof bag: Map, compass, instructions for emergency radio
    50 rounds
    Mag light
    pen & Paper
    Sunglasses
    Boots + 2 pair extra socks
    Pocket saw
    50 ft parachord
    Beany + Cold weather gloves
    Emergency blanket
    Fire kit: Bic, striker with magnesium, cotton, waterproof matches, chapstick
    Rain Gear
    Towel
    Extra batteries in dry bag
    Pocket stove + 6 fuel pellets
    Emergency radio
    Back Pack
    First aid kit
    Camel back 26 oz. Water bottle
    Last edited by Carp614; 02-13-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Redwood Country likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links