Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.

This is a discussion on Need major help choosing my first bug out bag. within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Hello all, i'm new here and to prepping and i want to know which bag would you get as you bug out bag? I've been ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.

Question Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.

Hello all, i'm new here and to prepping and i want to know which bag would you get as you bug out bag?
    I've been looking at these 2 here.
    The 1st link which is the SOG is nearly half the price of the other bag and it offers almost double the capacity.
    The 2nd one is obviously better quality but why is it only 1920 cubic inches and still nearly $170
    If you have any other bags to recommend i will be more the welcome to any recommendations.

Thanks In Advance
    Happy Prepping!

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Barrage-Ta...s=sog+backpack
    http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Action-...=direct+action
    Last edited by AestheticPrep; 05-09-2016 at 12:18 AM.

I have several, here are my qualifiers:

I liked them
    I was willing to carry them if needed be
    I could afford to buy stuff to put in them after paying for the bag
    I was successful
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

A good milsurp ALICE pack suits my needs.
    M118LR and Lady Patriot like this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I went with comfort and durability. Remember, if your bugging out your going to have to lug that pack on your back so comfort is important. Also, your not going to want it coming apart at the seams as you go. All my bags where in the middle of the road money wise. I have changed them only a couple of times before I settled on both GHB's and BOB's that where comfortable, practical, and pretty good quality.
    RedLion and Dawnajoy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Get what you think you need first. Then get a bag that can carry all of it. Then test it, trek off for 3 days and see how you do.

Then when you get back get a garbage bag out toss half the stuff you thought you needed and the bag and buy a smaller one to hold the stuff you actually need.

Not being a punk here but this is exactly what i went through lol. Even after asking and searching your initial ideas are often just a starting point. To be honest i am in the process of revamping my familys go bags given the tragic occurances in fort mcmurray alberta. It can happen to anyone any time for reasons you didnt even think of.

Good on you for taking the first step to a more prepared life.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Yeah, just saw that huge price difference with less space than the cheaper one and didn't know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I went with comfort and durability. Remember, if your bugging out your going to have to lug that pack on your back so comfort is important. Also, your not going to want it coming apart at the seams as you go. All my bags where in the middle of the road money wise. I have changed them only a couple of times before I settled on both GHB's and BOB's that where comfortable, practical, and pretty good quality.
    I pretty much agree here. Comfort and durability are #1.

I persinally avoid sog bags, or any bag made by a company not known as a bag maker.
    I use a lowe alpine bag, an also have a Whitaker mountaineering, and a north face(pre vanity fair), and a my EDC bag is a camel bak trail blazer or a recently aquiered mountainsmith lumbar back.
    Arklatex and RJAMES like this.

For a BOB I tend to look at bags designed for backpacking. They are generally built for comfort, roomy and adjustable.
    For a vehicle bag I like a medium sized rucksack. It needs to be made from fairly durable material because it's going to be knocking around in the trunk.
    For short day trips a good day pack or military style rucksack such as the 5.11. I only need enough room for the 10 essentials and a bit of gear.

I tend to buy my bags a bit larger than what I think I need, my reasoning is it's better to have space left over than to not have enough space. I find that it is easy to move things around in a roomy bag and it is a PITA to have to pull things out just to put them back in.

My first few bags were actually too small and I'm surprised I didn't bust a zipper or leave an item along the trail because I didn't get it put it back in the bag.
    Arklatex, hawgrider and RJAMES like this.

I agree with Seneca and Jim. I was into backpacking long before I ever knew what a prepper or Bob was. These bags are designed correctly to carry all you need properly. Kelty makes some affordable high quality ones. The little tactical type bags are great for a ghb. JM2C
    Seneca, hawgrider and RJAMES like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links