Need major help choosing my first bug out bag. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.

This is a discussion on Need major help choosing my first bug out bag. within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I am a big advocate of get what you are comfortable with, we can all make recommendations (and I will too) but the biggest factor ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need major help choosing my first bug out bag.

I am a big advocate of get what you are comfortable with, we can all make recommendations (and I will too) but the biggest factor is my book is size / comfort. If your pack regardless of size is not comfortable / digs into you / rubs you raw, then you won't wear it. In the very beginning I started with a $15 surplus ALICE pack, and I have moved on from there. I have left a trail of different packs along the way. And whatever you do resist the urge to carry to much stuff, last time I weighed my pack is was 23 lbs. And that is too much and I have been working on narrowing that down. It does depend a lot on what you are trying to accomplish, I am just trying to get home. But that is up to you, but of the packs I have seen folks just tend to pack too much junk.

Now for my recommendation I have been using these for awhile now, relatively new company, but great stuff, lots of innovative designs.

https://cannaeprogear.com/

Don't go with anything that screams "tactical".
    The last thing you want to do when bugging out is draw unwanted attention.
    No Molle webbing, no excess pockets and pouches. Stick with simple and comfortable. Bags intended for carrying a load, like hiking bags, are excellent. They will be easier to carry a long way, and are designed to minimize fatigue.

I give this advice to anyone looking for a bag.
    Firstly, FORGET THE BAG.
    It should NOT be your first consideration.
    You need to assemble all of the gear you think you will need for your expected trip.
    Gather it all in a pile, arrange it as best you can, and measure the pile. Length, width, thickness, and weight.
    Then, and ONLY then, you can start looking for a bag that fits that pile.

Buying a bag first is a pitfall we all fall into. The problem is, you often get more than you actually need, and once you've put your gear into it, you realize you've got more room. Your natural instinct kicks in, and says "Hey, I can fit more stuff, more stuff is good." Avoid this thinking by limiting your extra space.
    Trying to fit more crap into your bag will only lead to more weight, more pain, more struggle.
    Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. Resist the urge to overpack. No... you don't *need* that extra thing.
    Cover your basics, shelter(tent, clothing, fire), water, food, medical, protection... and forget the rest.
    Unless you're packing for a family of 4, your bag should be about the size of a school bag. More than that is too much.
    Denton, acidMia, warrior4 and 1 others like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Large ALICE pack with frame here. With a shelf and straps I can move stuff around easier like a real camel. Caution: not everyone is comfortable with this option. If you have friends that back pack try theirs first.
    Oddcaliber likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Oddcaliber likes this.
    oops

If you want to go with one of the bigger players in the space try Guardian Survival Gear and a lesser known company called Nexis Preparedness Systems has a ton of choices.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Don't go with anything that screams "tactical".
    The last thing you want to do when bugging out is draw unwanted attention.
    No Molle webbing, no excess pockets and pouches. Stick with simple and comfortable. Bags intended for carrying a load, like hiking bags, are excellent. They will be easier to carry a long way, and are designed to minimize fatigue.

I give this advice to anyone looking for a bag.
    Firstly, FORGET THE BAG.
    It should NOT be your first consideration.
    You need to assemble all of the gear you think you will need for your expected trip.
    Gather it all in a pile, arrange it as best you can, and measure the pile. Length, width, thickness, and weight.
    Then, and ONLY then, you can start looking for a bag that fits that pile.

Buying a bag first is a pitfall we all fall into. The problem is, you often get more than you actually need, and once you've put your gear into it, you realize you've got more room. Your natural instinct kicks in, and says "Hey, I can fit more stuff, more stuff is good." Avoid this thinking by limiting your extra space.
    Trying to fit more crap into your bag will only lead to more weight, more pain, more struggle.
    Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. Resist the urge to overpack. No... you don't *need* that extra thing.
    Cover your basics, shelter(tent, clothing, fire), water, food, medical, protection... and forget the rest.
    Unless you're packing for a family of 4, your bag should be about the size of a school bag. More than that is too much.
    Your right nobody will ever notice a adult scurrying along wearing a "Here kitty" backpack. A tactical bag would certainly be a dead give away that your not hauling crayons and a peanut butter and jelly sammich.
    Denton and A Watchman like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

When I'm out and about I tend to notice there are quite a few people walking around with day packs, they can't all be students. Maybe it's just something that's happening here or maybe it's just that I tend to notice such things.

Anyway there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the style of packs I see people carry. I've seen everything from Military to Hello Kitty and the occasional murse (messenger bag), have to say what I see people carrying around seem pretty random.
    hawgrider likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    When I'm out and about I tend to notice there are quite a few people walking around with day packs, they can't all be students. Maybe it's just something that's happening here or maybe it's just that I tend to notice such things.

Anyway there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the style of packs I see people carry. I've seen everything from Military to Hello Kitty and the occasional murse (messenger bag), have to say what I see people carrying around seem pretty random.
    Hahahaha I said "Here kitty" shows how much I know... your correct its Hello Kitty LOL !

Seneca and A Watchman like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

I didn't notice here instead of hello, wasn't trying to correct you...I need a couple of cups of coffee in the morning to wake up the brain cells before things like that start to click. I was on about bag style, because I can't figure out why it's that big of an issue. When what I see walking around says it isn't.

That aside;
    I care more about the contents of the bag than the bag it self. If a person wants to go light a day pack is fine, just don't whine if after three night out in the weather the flimsy Mylar space blanket doesn't cut it. Bugging out with a pack=home on your back. You may be out a day or two or you may be out longer than that. I say plan accordingly.

Banned

Tactical bags are in fashion.

Who sells them in my city :

Walmart, all 7 or 8 locations.
    Gander Mountain
    Field & Stream
    Academy Sports
    Army navy supply store
    Local sporting good stores/outfitter camping supplies etc., about 10 of them.

They're literally everywhere. I see soccer moms with 5:11 tac shirts on.....
    Last edited by Operator6; 06-09-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links