Choosing the right bag to be your BOB
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Choosing the right bag to be your BOB within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I wrote this article a little while ago about considerations to make when choosing your BOB Have a read and see what you think Choosing ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Choosing the right bag to be your BOB

I wrote this article a little while ago about considerations to make when choosing your BOB

Have a read and see what you think

Choosing A Bag To Build Your BOB | BoomerPreps
    M118LR and Arklatex like this.
    The Real Survivalists
    @realsurvivor1
    Hidden Content

So, Can you recommend any bags? If you are looking for a hiking type bag with MOLLE/PALS, good luck. Not that many options. Camelback makes some big ones, but they are sort of really big rucks. Arc'teryx has a waterproof one, but it is mucho dinero, compadre.

Good article.
    RealSurvivor1 likes this.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

The main recommendation I would offer is get the things you need together first. Then get a bag that organizes those things well. Dont do bag first. You may not get the right one, regardless of how much you spend.

Trust me on this. Get the stuff you feel you need first. Then the bag. It helps narrow the seach and it gets you the right bag the first time.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCanuck View Post
    The main recommendation I would offer is get the things you need together first. Then get a bag that organizes those things well. Dont do bag first. You may not get the right one, regardless of how much you spend.

Trust me on this. Get the stuff you feel you need first. Then the bag. It helps narrow the seach and it gets you the right bag the first time.
    No kidding. I have a Large A.L.I.C.E., MOLLE II Ruck with Sleep System Carrier, A Tactical Tailor Removable Operators Pack, and a CFP-90 Mountain Ruck

I'm still searching
    I have 2 different Sea Bags that work well,but the Rucks are ??????
    TacticalCanuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCanuck View Post

Absolutely. If you buy a big bag first, it's easy to pack too much unnecessary crap in order to fill the bag. Gather the items you NEED first, and then find a bag that suits. IMO, a bag should contain: shelter (like a small tarp), fire making items, a change of clothes to suit climate/season, some small food items (a few 5hr energies, Snickers, i.e. stuff that gives energy), weapon(s), 1 or 2 water containers with purification tabs or some way to purify water, and an IFAK. Those to me are the basics.

Choose a bag that can be organized easily. Something strong and well built. Old ALICE packs, especially if they come with the frame, are perfect for a single person. The frame pulls double duty once you're at your BOL. There's some YouTube videos about that subject. Choose a nonchalant appearance if you're in an urban environment. Rural folks need not worry as much.

I have a 3 day pack. It's a little larger than your typical backpack. But that's all I need since it's just me, and I live in south central TX where it doesn't get cold enough for large coats and whatnot. If I lived where it got cold as hell, then I'd have something larger like an FILBE so I'd have the room for larger clothing items and a good sleeping bag and shelter. Weight matters. Ounces=pounds, pounds=pain. If I'm bugging out, I'm going to moving and moving fast. I don't want a big heavy pack slowing me down and affecting mobility.

But every ones situation is unique, some may require bigger packs with more gear to get where they are going. Just make sure whatever you buy is of good quality. The last thing you want is to have to stop and make a repair attempt on a pack. Or have the bottom fall out of it dumping your gear. I would also get one that has a waist belt and shoulder strap buckle. If you're running and jumping, you'll be glad you have them.

Disclaimer**I am not an expert on this subject matter. Just my thoughts. Between Boy Scouts and the Marine Corps, I've humped many miles with a variety of packs.
    Last edited by txmarine6531; 11-21-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Arklatex likes this.

This is a great thread for me. I am in the process of building a couple of BOB's for my in-laws. They are both in their early 60's and in good shape. I would expect that if they are ever needed, they would need to travel less than 20 miles to my ranch. I am in favor of a couple of Alice packs, but haven't made a final decision yet.

Banned

My idea of a good BOB and something I've never seen mentioned here.
    A small narrow 4 wheel cart that you can push or pull should be part of your BOB plans. 30-40 lb medium sized bag on your back small and lightweight with only the minimal essentials for 3 days and defense. The small cart will allow you to carry twice as much yet still be able to abandon it instantly and move fast if your life depends on it.

A kid's wagon will work but something more like a small gardening cart would be better. something like this.http://www.amazon.com/VonHaus-Terrai...n+cart+4+wheel large wheels but still low to the ground for stability, large pull handle, vertical sides you can hook straps to. Narrow enough to pull down a foot trail. Put some gloves in it to protect your hands and you may be able to hook it to your waist strap for pulling hands free on level ground.

So 70 lbs on your back dragging you down or... 120 lbs, some on your back, some in your cart, giving you more gear and more options.
    Last edited by 8301; 11-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go2ndAmend View Post
    This is a great thread for me. I am in the process of building a couple of BOB's for my in-laws. They are both in their early 60's and in good shape. I would expect that if they are ever needed, they would need to travel less than 20 miles to my ranch. I am in favor of a couple of Alice packs, but haven't made a final decision yet.
    I would definitely pick something with really good shoulder and hip padding for in the event they had to walk all or most of the way to your place.

No longer here.

I've built my BOB's just like you would layering clothing. Started with the smallest container (items) and worked my way up as time and funding allowed. From Survival Tin to Medical Kit, to Messenger Bag, all the way up to Framed Large ALICE Pack. The small items that fill the Messenger Bag being the more critical then some of the larger equipment, if it becomes necessary to shed weight due to injury etc.. The Messenger bag can be removed from what would be the Radio Compartment in the ALICE. Using the same ideology, the web (duty) belt holds the absolute last items I would like to do without if the situation so required to effect survival and I could no longer have the Messenger Bag. Flexibility and the option of re-purposing as the situation requires. Nice Article.
    Arklatex likes this.

Nice article. Lays out the basics without overwhelming information.

BOB is always evolving and changing throughout the seasons especially in climates where there are severe weather variances. (I have different sleep set ups rigs for winter and summer bags.)

My son and wife have medium hiking bags and I carry a larger hiking pack.
    I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here. I don't belong here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links