96 hour GHB
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

96 hour GHB

This is a discussion on 96 hour GHB within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Here's my current 96 hour GHB. I know a GHB is usually smaller than this and a bug out bag is usually considered a 72-96 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 96 hour GHB

96 hour GHB

Here's my current 96 hour GHB. I know a GHB is usually smaller than this and a bug out bag is usually considered a 72-96 hour bag, but I tend to think of the two differently than most.

My view on it is that a GHB should be able to sustain me for 72-96 hours of travel in the event that I have to walk home from somewhere. It's not uncommon for me to take day trips that would be a 3-4 day walk home, especially if I had to deal with disaster type circumstances such as looters, blocked/flooded roads, bad weather, etc. I also feel like it should be useful in case I need to shelter in place because of a weather event, such as being snowed in the office and having to sleep a few nights there. I also tend to keep some luxury stuff in there so minor stuff like getting snowed in turns out to be kinda fun. Also just like my EDC I like for the bag to help out with day to day stuff to give me an excuse to get into it regularly. That way it doesn't just become a paperweight in the trunk.

A bug out bag on the other hand is something I would have pre-packed to throw in the vehicle if we got evacuated for some reason. I honestly can't say I have one set up yet, but it would be more along the lines of extra clothes, important documents, and things like that.

That's just my opinion because for me bugging out would mean the whole family coming with. You can't fit all those necessities in any backpack I've ever seen.

There's too much in this beast to put it all in one picture so I'll just post the pics of what is in each pocket with the pocket open that it came out of, and an explanation below of why I chose those items.

96 hour GHB-ghb.jpg

The bag: Targus Drifter II
    It's a good quality laptop backpack that has plenty of pockets to help me keep things organized without resorting to MOLLE pouches. MOLLE is fun but the attachment gear is so much heavier than just having pouches that are already sewn on, and of course it screams military/police/prepared. For some of you that matters, for some it doesn't. I figured there might or might not be an advantage to looking like a normal guy with a backpack, but I can't see any advantage to looking tactical on US soil. Also the bag is still pretty toned down colors, so it doesn't stick out much in the woods. Even less if I wrap the green poncho over it. It's been sprayed with silicone waterproof "camp dry". The camp dry doesn't just make the pack water resistant to keep your gear dry, it also keeps the pack from absorbing water and getting heavier. I didn't spray the back pad because when I have done that in the past with other bags it ruins any moisture wicking properties it has.

96 hour GHB-ghbtools.jpeg

The tools pouch:
    Waterproof bag
    30 feet 550 cord (daisy chained)
    Gerber suspension multi-plier
    AWESOME knife sharpener (SelecTool)
    Fine tooth wire saw (for metal)
    Coarse tooth wire saw (for wood)
    Duct tape
    Fishing kit in a little black box
    Regular pen
    Gerber tactical pen
    Signal mirror
    Cheap binoculars
    Headlamp that clips onto a baseball cap brim

I keep the knife sharpener in there more for day to day use than survival use, but I guess it would be useful then too. It's easily the fastest and easiest to use sharpener I've ever owned.
    The wire saws actually work pretty well when you use some green wood to turn them into bow saws. A good quality fine tooth one can get through a non-hardened padlock in about 2 minutes with enough elbow work, if you lose your keys. Of course sawing wood with one is much quieter, and it's certainly lighter than a hatchet. The gerber tactical pen has a nice little glass breaker on it and could be used as a weapon if it came to that. There's usually a notepad in here too but I was using it the other day and took it out. The mirror gets a lot of day to day use picking my teeth and checking my hair (lol). It's also useful for inspecting yourself for ticks and other injuries.

96 hour GHB-ghbtrauma.jpeg

Trauma pouch:
    CAT tourniquet
    Compressed gauze
    ACE wrap
    Quickclot combat gauze
    EPI-pen
    14 GA needle
    Tegaderm
    Compound benzoin ticture

The trauma pouch is easily and quickly accessible on the outside of the pack. It's got pretty much everything you need to deal with a single life-threatening injury such as an allergic reaction, gunshot wound, severe laceration, sucking chest wound, etc. I opted for gauze and an ACE wrap instead of an Israeli dressing because you can pack a wound with the gauze. The ACE wrap could be useful for sprained ankles too, the most likely injury walking a long distance with a weighted backpack.

96 hour GHB-ghbwater.jpeg

Water pouch:
    Sawyer Mini water filter
    Straw and squeeze bag that came with the Sawyer
    Iodine tablets and neutralizer
    coffee filters
    2 1 Liter water bottles (not pictured)

I left the bottles out of the picture but I always have a case of 1L bottles in the trunk of the car and there are holders on each outside pouch (water and trauma pouches) for the bottles. The Sawyer mini filter is rated to .1 microns and the package claims it can filter "up to 100,00 gallons from freshwater lakes, rivers or streams." It can be backwashed and reused over and over according to the manufacturer. It comes with a straw and a squeeze bag it can screw on to. It also has the same threads as the cap to most water/soda bottles so you can use whatever clean bottle you find. I'm working on making an adapter to attach it to garden hoses or outdoor spigots, and probably another to screw it onto home faucets.

96 hour GHB-ghbclothes.jpeg

Clothes pouch:
    Kevlar gloves with goatskin leather palms and padded knuckles
    Frogg Togg poncho
    Shemagh
    Skivvy roll
    WASP survival bracelet

The gloves get use almost every week. From picking up nasty stuff to yardwork and loading bricks at the hardware store. The poncho could work for an improvised shelter and to keep you and the bag dry while moving. The shemagh was more of a winter item and usually gets changed out for a normal bandanna in the summer/spring months. The skivvy roll is boxer briefs and a t-shirt wrapped in fresh socks. In the winter I swap in "waffle-pro" long underwear (recent army vets will know what I'm talking about) and good waterproof backpacking socks (I can't remember the brand name). The WASP bracelet has pretty much everything in it you would find in an Altoids tin survival kit, and a handcuff key hidden inside the buckle. WASP also has a lifetime warranty that if you ever have to deploy the kit in an emergency they will replace it completely.

I guess I exceeded my size limit because it won't let me upload any more pictures. I'll post the rest in a reply. Sorry it's such a long post guys.

EDIT: Wigwam is the name of the socks.
    Last edited by SurvivingMike; 04-13-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: To add the name of the socks
    Arklatex and Pupil2Prodigy like this.

Very well thought out. Good job and thanks for posting.
    SurvivingMike likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Compass & possibly map I see missing.

And suggest replacing pen with pencil & pocket notebook. Ink gets wet & it smears. And ink/pen doesn't write on wet paper.

No mention of firearm so hope you atleast keep a handgun in the vehicle for self defense.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

96 Hour GHB continued

96 hour GHB-ghbincidentals.jpeg

Incidentals Pouch:
    Bug spray
    Sunscreen
    Spork
    Dental picks
    Ground cayenne pepper
    Wet wipes
    Hand sanitizer
    Bic lighter
    Sewing kit with spare buttons, safety pin, and needles with different color thread
    MIO energy
    MIO fit
    Earplugs with case and lanyard

The ground cayenne pepper is because I find that I can eat just about anything if I make it spicy enough, and a pinch on the tounge can also really clear your sinuses if you don't have any Sudafed handy. The MIO energy should help me get over my caffiene cravings, and the MIO fit will help replace electrolytes. Both of them just improve the taste of bland water.

96 hour GHB-ghbmain.jpeg

Main pouch:
    MSR pocket rocket and fuel
    Stainless steel cookpot with vented lid and folding handle
    Jolly ranchers
    1 pack Ramen noodles
    8 packs of instant oatmeal (4 different flavors)
    2 Fig newton bars
    2 Apple cinnamon 2400 calorie food bars
    Six serving bag of freeze dried creamy potato soup
    3 flavors of corn nuts
    My favorite firestarter
    Vietnam Airforce survival knife
    Casualty evacuation blanket

There are a million stoves out there and everyone has their reason for choosing whichever they have. The whole theme of this bag is getting home or sheltering in place, and this stove lets me cook FAST if I'm on the move, and it's relatively low odor so I'd feel comfortable using it indoors as long as it was really well ventilated or in a room that had a carbon monoxide detector.
    The meal plan if I'm on the move trying to get home would be hot oatmeal for breakfast, half a food bar for lunch (to eat on the move), and 2 servings of potato soup or the pack of ramen for dinner. This way I stay up around 2000 calories a day to keep my energy up, and I'm only taking the time to fire up the stove in the morning and at night when I'm already stationary.
    If I'm sheltering in place I'll probably just graze on the variety as I feel like it and save the food bars for if I'm stuck there a long time.
    I wish I could tell you the brand of the firestarter so you could order one but it's a handmade one from a local gunshow vendor. I'll try to get a full review of it written. The only thing I changed about it was to wrap the handle in jute twine for a better grip and because it makes such an excellent tinder even when it's wet.
    The surival knife is a family heirloom from my uncle Tom's time in Veitnam and has sentimental value along with the fact that it's a good solid piece of kit.
    The casualty blanket is basically a space blanket with rubber backing stitched on. This thing takes a beating waaaay better than space blankets. I have one that has been through about 4 years of field exercises and camping trips and is still useable.

96 hour GHB-ghbsickcall.jpeg

96 hour GHB-ghbsickcalllayout.jpeg

Sick call pouch:
    N95 respirator mask
    2 antiseptic towlettes
    2 Celox packets
    2 small gauze pads
    Iodine and alchohol pads
    bandaids
    Compound benxoin tincture
    Pill shaker
    Superglue
    IOSAT
    Suture kit
    Moleskin

The respirator and IOSAT are because I live close to a nuclear power plant. Celox is great for anything that is too big for a bandaid but too small for the trauma kit. Compound Benxoin tincture, needle, syringe, and moleskin are for blisters (check out the Wikipedia article on Benzoin ticture, it will explain). The pill shaker contains Benadryl, Lopermide, Flexeril (my prescription muscle relaxer), Fiorcet (my prescription for migraines), and Tylenol.

96 hour GHB-ghbkidney.jpeg

The kidney pad has a little compartment that holds my 2 spare magazines for my SR9. You can also see the tool hanging from the strap. It's a whistle, compass, thermometer, and magnifying glass.

The last pocket is the actual laptop compartment. It has 2 spare AR-15 magazines in a belt pouch and a roll of camo rifle tape. The extra space in there can hold my trunk gun disassembled (7.5" AR-15 pistol) if I choose to pack it with me.

So, what do you guys think? What bases didn't I cover? What pieces of gear would you suggest that could replace one of my items to improve the kit?
    Thanks for the input guys.

EDIT: Also I always have my EDC gear on me, which is a Ruger SR9, Powertac E5 with spare batteries, CRKT knife, Gerber artifact, wallet, and phone.
    Pupil2Prodigy likes this.

Banned

Outstanding setup! You don't mention shelter and clothing,they are the ones that I struggle with, care to share what you have?

Excellent! Very well thought out IMO. Have you considered adding a quality compass to backup that cheapo combo setup? Also, perhaps a cell phone charger. The 10,000 ma batteries should get you several charges.

Thanks for posting.

How much does that weigh?

Compass & possibly map I see missing.

And suggest replacing pen with pencil & pocket notebook. Ink gets wet & it smears. And ink/pen doesn't write on wet paper.
    I have a good lensatic compass and protractor that I haven't added until I get a good topographical map that makes them worth carrying. For now I'll just have to rely on my knowledge of the local area to find my way back.

The notebook usually in there is a write in the rain, and I haven't had any problems using it and the Gerber pen in wet conditions. A pencil would be a good idea though and I could carry a pencil sharpener too which would be great for making tinder. Great idea!

Outstanding setup! You don't mention shelter and clothing,they are the ones that I struggle with, care to share what you have?
    I don't keep a change of clothes in the pack, just the skivvy roll. I figure if I use the wet wipes daily for a "bird bath" it should eliminate most hygiene problems. Other than that I guess I'll just have to make due with what I'm wearing even if it gets dirty or wet. There really isn't room for a full change.

As for shelter you can make a few improvised shelters with the poncho, and I have spent a night outdoors in a hurricane once during a field exercise. I ended up taking my poncho hooch down because the wind blew too much rain in and just wore the poncho huddled up under a tree instead. It wasn't a fun night but I did survive... lol .The casualty blanket is a lot warmer than you would expect so I'm happy with it for now instead of a real sleeping bag packing on the pounds and taking up space. My region doesn't get all that cold even in the winter. I'm planning on getting an SOL escape bivvy in OD green before late fall when it gets cold again though. That should get me into at least a survivable temperature range here when combined with a fire, even in the dead of winter.

Also, perhaps a cell phone charger. The 10,000 ma batteries should get you several charges.
    Another good idea, I'll look into what they cost and weigh.

How much does that weigh?
    Don't laugh but I honestly don't own a scale. If I had to guess I would say probably no more than 40lbs with my trunk gun in it, and probably closer to 35.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Keep it coming!

I would stick to the Stove if you're going to be cooking anything. Wood Smoke can be smelled from a long way away. And where there's smoke, there's you. And your stuff. While a fire can be comforting, it can spell your doom (depending on the situation) if security is of paramount importance.

I carry 3600 Calorie Emergency Bars, Squeeze Packs of Peanut Butter, Tuna Fish (In the Bag), Crackers, the Jack Links Beef & Cheese Sticks, Nature Valley Granola Bars and 3 Liters of lightly salted water in a Camelback (to replenish salts and prevent cramping). Lightweight, hi calorie, hi fat, lots of protein. I pack with the understanding that there will not be a fire (except under extreme circumstances), and I will not be taking the time to cook. Meals will be cold, dry and for the most part, bland. At work, I am 26 miles from home on a huge, mostly rural peninsula with some difficult terrain and lots of hills. It will be a long 26 miles.
    "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"

Well thought out bag. Good post.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links