Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What is your bug out mess kit?

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  MaterielGeneral 
#1 ·
I have recently been interested in replacing my cookset. Curious as to what yall have. I screwed up and got a esbit large size last year and it is too big for my preferred cookpot. I am considering the solo stove. Any thoughts and suggestions based on experience would be appreciated. Pics of your setup will be very informative!

#3 ·
not sure if this is allowed i'm brand new to the site i'm sorry ahead of time i dont have a pic of my set because well its 10 degrees outside and it in the garage for winter so here's a link i bought this set its a coghlans aluminum set we like it not the most expensive but it works fine for two people

Hard Anodized Aluminum Cookset | Cook & Grill | Coghlan's

#13 ·
I don't have a mess kit either. I carry a titanium fork and spoon and a large can of beef stew. I will eat the stew first, then use the can as a pot. I also carry 2 x 1 liter uninsulated stainless steel water bottles that have wide mouths and could be used to cook in if needed.

Reactions: Big Country1
#14 ·
Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the BOB part of it. I don't carry a mess kit in my GHB. My BOB is bicycle panniers so in that I do. If I bug out, it's with a bicycle (even if I have to walk it, I am using the bike to pack the weight).

#15 · (Edited)
I carry two ways to cook in my INCH bag the SRO water bottle kit and a military mess kit. I keep the SRO water bottle filled with rice and a couple of bouillon cubes. Water around here is everywhere. No need to carry a lot. The SRO kit is well made and does what it is suppose to. The stove is what it is nothing special. What can I say about the military mess kit that has not already been said.

Used U.S. Military Surplus Stainless Mess Kit - 216231, Mess Kits & Cooking at Sportsman's Guide

32oz. - GEN3 Bottle & Nesting Cup Set with Bottle Stove Combo - Self Reliance Outfitters?

#22 ·
I like Canterbury and his teachings, but 79 bucks for that kit?? Steal from the knucklehead fans, I guess.
I carry two ways to cook in my INCH bag the SRO water bottle kit and a military mess kit. I keep the SRO water bottle filled with rice and a couple of bouillon cubes. Water around here is everywhere. No need to carry a lot. The SRO kit is well made and does what it is suppose to. The stove is what it is nothing special. What can I say about the military mess kit that has not already been said.

Used U.S. Military Surplus Stainless Mess Kit - 216231, Mess Kits & Cooking at Sportsman's Guide

32oz. - GEN3 Bottle & Nesting Cup Set with Bottle Stove Combo - Self Reliance Outfitters?

#16 ·
I carry a 1qt stainless cup that belonged to my grandfather, and a small stainless pan for cooking. I also have a homemade wood gas stove, similar too the solo stove, that fits snuglly into my cup.

#17 ·
Since my BOL is my home, I just keep bottled water and a few cans of Spam, Vienna Sausage, etc under the back seat of my truck along with a pack to carry it in incase I get stuck in the woods or on the road. I'm an old soldier, I'm used to eating cold food out of cans.
For camping I have a Coleman propane stove, Coleman lantern and such, but I would not be back pacing these anywhere.

Reactions: Oneman
#18 ·
I Keep mine nice and simple, Set of British Army mess tins, had them for years, Solid fuel "Hexi Stove" with fuel tablets, KFS,and brew kit packed inside; Hexi not good in Tactical situation due to the smell it gives of,[In that case eat cold food out of Tins] but mostly use open camp fire, also nice to sleep by at night, as I don't have/Use a tent, just a poncho if weather bad.

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.