Boiling Water in SS Water Bottle
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Boiling Water in SS Water Bottle within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I've read that a lot of people like to keep a single layer metal water bottle as a backup way to boil water. Great, I ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By thatguyoverthere
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42
  • 2 Post By 1skrewsloose
  • 3 Post By Robie

Thread: Boiling Water in SS Water Bottle

I've read that a lot of people like to keep a single layer metal water bottle as a backup way to boil water. Great, I like the idea of backups. I was a little concerned about coatings and so forth but it just so happens that my fiancées mother has a degree in Industrial Material Sciences (what a great resource for this) so she was able to pick out a bottle for this purpose that was food safe, can withstand the temperature etc.

Over the past few weeks I've been testing everything in my bug-out-bag (despite growing up in a rural area, a lot of these things are new to me), and I finally got around to boiling some water in the water bottle in my kitchen, just to make sure it didn't misshape, or burst or make the water taste weird. I did it, no problem. Then I had this boiling hot water bottle and it occurred to me:

After boiling water in the 1 layer SS bottle, how do you then pour the boiling water into something (i.e. dehydrated food packet) without burning yourself?

I feel like there is probably a really simple answer to this question, but I just haven't clued in. Using sleeves does not seem like a viable option, regular clothing fabrics aren't designed for it and it rains like crazy where I live (if you've ever tried using an oven mitt when it's wet, you know that wet fabric doesn't work for this purpose). Does everyone who does this secretly keep an oven mitt in their bag?
    bigwheel likes this.

Have no experience boiling water in a bottle, but have used USGI SS canteen cups for the purpose since 1960, they have handles.

There is even a stove that fits around the cup for storage in the cover.

You use trioxane fuel tabs for heat,

you will get a buildup of residue in the bottle from boiling you will not be able to clean out like in the cup.

At one time the canteen itself was SS, now are plastic.

Hell, even my arctic double wall canteen has a canteen cup with it.

How about a poncho over your head in the rain?
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-13-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    paraquack likes this.

Maybe a big pair of channel locks.
    SOCOM42 and Michael_Js like this.
    I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post

you will get a buildup of residue in the bottle from boiling you will not be able to clean out like in the cup.

Hell, even my arctic double wall canteen has a canteen cup with it.

How about a poncho over your head in the rain?
    Aha...it's not really that kind of rain, annual precipitation approaches 4000mm (13 feet) per year where I live. When outside, even with a full set of raingear, the water just seeps in after a while, through ends of the sleeves or around the exposed face.

I actually didn't consider the issue of buildup inside the bottle, but luckily for other reasons I got a wide mouth so it is pretty cleanable. I can definitely get a cup that fits it, which in retrospect seems like an obvious choice (I'm going to do that), but a number of people specifically mentioned the idea of boiling in the stainless steel bottle so I still wonder if there is an easy way with just the bottle and something else that everyone has.

Channel Lock not a bad idea if I happened to have them.

Kleen Kanteen's are great. I've used them for years.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection in the Home
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

I just use the leather gloves in my Camelback Ridgerunner
    Bucket-Back since 2004

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    If leather gloves aren’t the answer (they do get slimy very quickly when wet) then I would suggest a pair of extreme heat resistant oven gloves. They have silicon outer covering that grips great and can handle just about anything that’s not direct flame. The inner is a wool or cotton removable glove and the whole thing works great. Amazon has a lot of different offerings.

I do it fairly often. I use a fish mouth opener regardless of if I'm hanging the bottle or setting it in the fire and then a forked branch to steady the bottom of the bottle.
    If leather gloves are around, I grab the bottom with them or a handkerchief which is always on me.

Boiling Water in SS Water Bottle-download-58-.jpg
    SOCOM42, Bigfoot63 and Elvis like this.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Insulated leather gloves: good idea. I should add that to the bag anyways.

Fish mouth opener: exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere View Post
    I've read that a lot of people like to keep a single layer metal water bottle as a backup way to boil water. Great, I like the idea of backups. I was a little concerned about coatings and so forth but it just so happens that my fiancées mother has a degree in Industrial Material Sciences (what a great resource for this) so she was able to pick out a bottle for this purpose that was food safe, can withstand the temperature etc.

Over the past few weeks I've been testing everything in my bug-out-bag (despite growing up in a rural area, a lot of these things are new to me), and I finally got around to boiling some water in the water bottle in my kitchen, just to make sure it didn't misshape, or burst or make the water taste weird. I did it, no problem. Then I had this boiling hot water bottle and it occurred to me:

After boiling water in the 1 layer SS bottle, how do you then pour the boiling water into something (i.e. dehydrated food packet) without burning yourself?

I feel like there is probably a really simple answer to this question, but I just haven't clued in. Using sleeves does not seem like a viable option, regular clothing fabrics aren't designed for it and it rains like crazy where I live (if you've ever tried using an oven mitt when it's wet, you know that wet fabric doesn't work for this purpose). Does everyone who does this secretly keep an oven mitt in their bag?
    Us old Boy Scouts was taught to make water as safe to drink as its going get by putting a a bit of bleach or iodine in it. Would be easier than trying to build a fire etc. Just stick a small jug of clorox in the bug out bag about the size of the SS mug. There ya go.
    https://myoutdoorslife.com/basics/ho...th-bleach.html
    Last edited by bigwheel; 01-16-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Sponsored Links