Packing a bag
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Packing a bag

This is a discussion on Packing a bag within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; So I have what was sold as a 72 hour bag that I use more as an overnight bag. When y'all discuss what goes into ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Packing a bag

Packing a bag

So I have what was sold as a 72 hour bag that I use more as an overnight bag. When y'all discuss what goes into a bob or ghb, how much is clothing? Or do you plan on wearing the same clothes until they fall off? What I'm getting at is, with pj's and a set of clothes for the next day, the main compartment of my bag is full with little room for other things. Maybe since I was never in the military, I don't know how to pack the bag? Thanks.

How much clothing depends on the season. If it's in the dead of winter, I'll be packing far more in the way of thermal duds.

But 'everyday' clothes like shirts, pants etc... I don't pack any in the bag. Skivvies and socks, yes.

I do maintain an 'accessory' bag that holds many ancillary items: Extra food, water, ammo, meds and clothing. But it's more of a gym bag. I'd grab it if I'm bugging out by vehicle.

If your bag is too full, you either are trying to carry too much, or your bag itself is too small. Either obtain a larger bag (remember... you gotta be able to carry it), or start making choices about what's really needing to be in it.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rmcmurry View Post
    So I have what was sold as a 72 hour bag that I use more as an overnight bag. When y'all discuss what goes into a bob or ghb, how much is clothing? Or do you plan on wearing the same clothes until they fall off? What I'm getting at is, with pj's and a set of clothes for the next day, the main compartment of my bag is full with little room for other things. Maybe since I was never in the military, I don't know how to pack the bag? Thanks.
    When I pack my bag in anticipation of a 3 day hike back to Slippy Lodge in 95 degree 100% humidity with zombies ready to eat my flesh and motorcycle marauders around every corner waiting to ambush me/kill me, PJ's are the first thing I make sure I have packed!

PS Hey Rmac, why don't you take a mulligan on this thread?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Try to swap out your clothing choices with more packing-friendly options. You don't need those canvas cargo pants with the 12 pockets. Try a lightweight nylon pair of shorts instead. Underarmor shirts pack away smaller than a pair of socks.
    Whatever environmental protection gear you plan to take should just be worn, weather permitting. There are some really nice packable jackets, but they can be expensive for the good ones. The only footwear you should be taking should stay on your feet and be waterproof, but have new socks for every day. Keep those feet dry. Disposable ponchos can replace bulky water-repellent jackets, and are crazy cheap and thin.

All this assumes you even bother with changing clothes. You can live in your own filth for a few days, can't you? But keep those feet dry...
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

WB edited to specific:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    All this assumes you even bother with changing clothes. You can live in your own filth for a few days, can't you? But keep those feet dry...
    Once upon a time; many, many years ago; in a land far far away I wound up taking long walks in a very hot, very humid, very densely overgrown area. Some people might even apply the term jungle to it. My job was to keep the others up and able to keep walking their long walks. Anytime I could convince the guy in charge I'd have the guys wash as much as they could of their bodies. More than twice I went toe to toe with the guy in charge about allowing the guys to lager in and expose their feet to the open air and sun. It's amazing how much easier it is to keep making the long walks when you take the time needed to keep your feet dry.

The edited to specific quote above is as the English say: "Spot on"
    Smitty901 likes this.

Yes I do have a set of cloths in my BOB. For the colder months it's warm clothing so if I have to bug out and I don't have warm clothes on I don't freeze to death. In the warm weather months I have some earth toned light weight hiking pants and a tshirt. As if I am my work clothes the safety orange might not ne a good thing to be wearing. Also trying to hike in warm weather in Jean's socks. After I have a chance to change I would ditch the other cloths as they take up space and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
    WB edited to specific:
    Once upon a time; many, many years ago; in a land far far away I wound up taking long walks in a very hot, very humid, very densely overgrown area. Some people might even apply the term jungle to it. My job was to keep the others up and able to keep walking their long walks. Anytime I could convince the guy in charge I'd have the guys wash as much as they could of their bodies. More than twice I went toe to toe with the guy in charge about allowing the guys to lager in and expose their feet to the open air and sun. It's amazing how much easier it is to keep making the long walks when you take the time needed to keep your feet dry.

The edited to specific quote above is as the English say: "Spot on"
    Foot inspection is an NCO task.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Foot inspection is an NCO task.
    Good Medics also do that. At least this one did.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    WolfBrother

Most are happy to be part of the Good Shepherds flock.
    Some choose to be a Wolf and prey on the flock.
    Others choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a Sheepdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    When I pack my bag in anticipation of a 3 day hike back to Slippy Lodge in 95 degree 100% humidity with zombies ready to eat my flesh and motorcycle marauders around every corner waiting to ambush me/kill me, PJ's are the first thing I make sure I have packed!

PS Hey Rmac, why don't you take a mulligan on this thread?
    OK! OK! I'll take the PJ's out of my BOB. But they are so soft, fluffy, and they have the bunny feet and all.
    Slippy, shooter and WolfBrother like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
    Good Medics also do that. At least this one did.
    They did when you had them with you now most often you have combat lifesavers.. Combat lifesavers is another infantry soldiers with some extra training . Medics take on a much larger duty in today's infantry. Can't say I ever had a combat medic 68W or 18D that was anything but outstanding
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-30-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links