Looking for Guidance
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Looking for Guidance

This is a discussion on Looking for Guidance within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; My bug out bag is dedicated to getting me to my bug out location either by foot or by vehicle depending on the situation. Let's ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Looking for Guidance

Looking for Guidance

My bug out bag is dedicated to getting me to my bug out location either by foot or by vehicle depending on the situation. Let's say it's roughly 150 miles away in a dead straight shot. If I avoid main roads it's 220. What do I need? I have a large well made bag and maybe 8 days of food in it. I know that's not enough but I know the area and how to hunt and fish it. I have a small .22 Ruger take down to put on the bag as well as a Sig Sauer P220 on my hip. I'm a bigger guy but I've picked up a work out regiment since this has become a hobby of mine. All tips welcome.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    RedLion, Crunch and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnathang2005 View Post
    My bug out bag is dedicated to getting me to my bug out location either by foot or by vehicle depending on the situation. Let's say it's roughly 150 miles away in a dead straight shot. If I avoid main roads it's 220. What do I need? I have a large well made bag and maybe 8 days of food in it. I know that's not enough but I know the area and how to hunt and fish it. I have a small .22 Ruger take down to put on the bag as well as a Sig Sauer P220 on my hip. I'm a bigger guy but I've picked up a work out regiment since this has become a hobby of mine. All tips welcome.

Well say hello first.

Fishing equipment, wild foods book(s). Learn to forage your location. Some snares don't take up room and can be used for other purposes.Proper clothes and shelter. First aid. Water purifier.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-13-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Well say hello first.

Fishing equipment, wild foods book(s). Learn to forage your location. Some snares don't take up room and can be used for other purposes.Proper clothes and shelter. First aid.
    I appreciate this!! I have a basic hook and line set in there. No books or snares though. Some basic first aid equipment and some of the other basic stuff there's a lot in there and I don't think I could list it all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johnathang2005 View Post
    I appreciate this!! I have a basic hook and line set in there. No books or snares though. Some basic first aid equipment and some of the other basic stuff there's a lot in there and I don't think I could list it all.

Where you at? Climate?

A 3-piece take down rod and a tube will be better than basic line/hook. Braid line is handy for mending things. Winter a tipup(s) is great.

I used to go out 2-3 weeks but that was a big pack and I'd set up for days at a time.

An axe and sven folding saw is handy
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-13-2020 at 12:50 AM.

I live in the Midwest. I don't have a rod for it but will definitely look into it. I do keep braided line as my main line I can't remember what the lb test is but I will look when I get chance. I keep three different sizes of hooks as well. Nothing terribly large because you can catch a big fish on a little hook but not vice versa.

US GI modular sleep systems are great as they modify to the weather. https://colemans.com/us-gi-modular-sleep-system-mss A tarp and cord would be great to cut wind/rain exposure. perhaps reflect heat from a fire. Under the category of your vehicle breaks down or excessive traffic makes you take off on foot.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I would suggest setting up a couple resupply stashes along the route you plan on traveling. Your not going to be able or want to carry 8 days of supply's on your back. For water focus on purification whether filter or boiling not carrying large amounts. Should be able to shoot or forage something during your travels. Keep it lite weight for speed and get to your BOL asap. The longer your out traveling on your own the more vulnerable you'll be. Setting up a camp and going fishing would be the last priority for me.
    rstanek, 0rocky and RedLion like this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I would suggest setting up a couple resupply stashes along the route you plan on traveling. Your not going to be able or want to carry 8 days of supply's on your back. For water focus on purification whether filter or boiling not carrying large amounts. Should be able to shoot or forage something during your travels. Keep it lite weight for speed and get to your BOL asap. The longer your out traveling on your own the more vulnerable you'll be. Setting up a camp and going fishing would be the last priority for me.
    Like he said.....

Super Moderator

Many variables are unknown, such as your age, training and knowledge. I find it concerning that you are asking what should be in your BOB but have already determined that your BOL is 150-220 miles away from home.
    Not knowing what is coming down the pike, prepping for the worst-case scenario would be best. Have you considered picking a route and prepositioning supplies? A buried case of canned beans every twenty or so miles along the route would help a lot.
    0rocky and RedLion like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Oh, and a BOV. Assuming an EMP/CME event is a concern, get an older truck, the spare parts stored in a manner that would protect them from an EMP, along with the tools and knowledge that will allow you to replace the damaged components.
    If you can only travel 50 miles before having to ditch the vehicle, that's 50 miles you didn't walk. That'll come in handy when you are walking the last 50 miles.
    RedLion, Prepared One and Crunch like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links