Looking for Guidance - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Looking for Guidance

This is a discussion on Looking for Guidance within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Maybe not what you were looking for John, but some suggestions from someone that used to be in your situation of being a couple hundred ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Looking for Guidance

Maybe not what you were looking for John, but some suggestions from someone that used to be in your situation of being a couple hundred miles from the BOL, and now in your family's situation of hoping you can make it to the BOL with us if disaster strikes.

1) Get early warning of significant events so you can get on the road quickly before most others. Phone alerts and a weather alert radio at a minimum. The best plan is just driving to the BOL, so try to maximize the odds of making that plan work. Decide beforehand what your trigger events are for bugging out, have everything packed and ready, and get on the road ASAP. Don't wait around at home listening to the news to decide if you should, listen to it in the car/vehicle on the way to the BOL. If it turns out the situation isn't that bad and bugging out wasn't required, just turn around and go home. Better bugging out a day early than a minute too late.

2) Have a second means of travel in the BOV before having to resort to walking. Bike, cross country skis, anything that is faster than the shoe leather express. Preferably motorized if finances allow. This is in the event you do get stuck/trapped in traffic that isn't moving, you may want to separate yourself (and hopefully get in front of) the miles of other vehicles full of trapped refugees quickly.

3) Let those at the BOL know the routes (primary, alternates) that you plan to take, maybe designate some meetup places they can check for you at assuming that's possible for them.

4) Communication plan with family/friends. A phone obviously and a way to charge it, who knows, a text message might get through even if hours or days later. Radios, even handheld short-range ones, might make meeting up with family faster when you consider just a mile of range means 3.14 miles of area coverage. That's do-able for $25 (each), and depending, you might be able to significantly increase that range if any repeaters are still working. At the very low cost end, have marking tape or spray paint; mark a tree or road sign every mile or so if you had to abandon the vehicle, at least it'll cut down on their search area and let them know the route you're taking.

Good luck!

I appreciate this very much, I just drove the route today looking for land marks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johnathang2005 View Post
    My bug out bag is dedicated to getting me to my bug out location either by foot or by vehicle depending on the situation. Let's say it's roughly 150 miles away in a dead straight shot. If I avoid main roads it's 220. What do I need? I have a large well made bag and maybe 8 days of food in it. I know that's not enough but I know the area and how to hunt and fish it. I have a small .22 Ruger take down to put on the bag as well as a Sig Sauer P220 on my hip. I'm a bigger guy but I've picked up a work out regiment since this has become a hobby of mine. All tips welcome.

I would vote to buy a cheap used travel trailer and keep your stuff in there. When the world appears coming to an end jump in there and take off. In the meantime leave it parked in the yard and used it for a guest house.There ya go. Thats what I was gonna do..maybe spend hot weather in Colorado and stuff like that.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

That's a good idea!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links