My first BOB: A photo Journal
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on My first BOB: A photo Journal within the Strictly Bug Out Bags forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Hello Everyone, So I have finally decided to get serious about putting together a BOB. I got a really great deal on a backpack last ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My first BOB: A photo Journal

Hello Everyone,

So I have finally decided to get serious about putting together a BOB. I got a really great deal on a backpack last week and thought it would be cool to chronical everything as I buy and add it to my pack. My wofe and I are both students so I will be trying to keep everything as cost effective as possible. I will be searching for deals and doing as much reaserch as I can as i put it together piece by piece. I will tally each Item in this initial post and keep a running tab on what I have spent. I am hopeing for help from you guys to figure out what is the most important to get next.

My first BOB: A photo Journal-img_1478.jpg
    This Bag is a Nargear toolbox that i found on clearance at a local sporting good store for 15 bucks. The cool thing about this pack is that it can be opened like a suit case so you have fast access to everything without having to unpack everything on top to get to the stuff at the bottom. It was missing a clip to allow a snowboard to be attached.
    My first BOB: A photo Journal-img_1481.jpg
    I also purchased a few things over the last few days. 100ft of 550 cord for 8 bucks from a local murdoch's, 2 bic lighters from the checkout line for 2 dollars. A flint and magnisium fire starting stick for 5 bucks ( I started a small fire with a cotton ball in my side yard today just to see if I could get it to work.) A spork that I found for a dollar from an REI. I am also adding a couple things I already had like a knife my grandpa gave me when I was 8 a 250 lumen flashlight I got for christmas from my parents last year and some cotton balls as easy tinder. Also 2 alcohol swabs from a Buffalo Wild Wings. Also some ammunition for my Sks 40 rounds of 7.62 x 39 on stripper clips in hollow point was about 13 bucks

Bag:
    Nar Gear Toolbox - 15.00

Fire Starters:
    x2 Bic lighters - 2.00
    Firestarter - 5.00
    Cotton Balls - Priceless
    Lint- free
    watertight tuperware - 1.50

Food/cooking:
    Spork - 1.00
    x3 cans of sardines - 3.00
    x4 Clif Bars - free

Water:
    Camelbak Bladder 100oz - 15.00

Lights:
    250 Lumen flashlight - Gift
    Headlamp 80 lumens - 20.00

Kinves/ Multitool:
    Folding Knife - Gift
    Throwing knife - 10.00
    Small multi tool - gift

Clothes:
    2x pairs of wool socks - 10.00
    1x pair of coton socks - 2.00
    Patigonia Rain coat - 30.00
    waterproof pants - Gifts

Misc:
    100ft of green 550 cord - 8.00
    alchohol swabs - free
    TP - 1.00

Ammunition:
    40x 7.62x39 HP - 13.00
    100x 22lr. Blazer - 5.00

Total: 143.5
    Last edited by Kur0n; 10-24-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: additional items added
    Zed likes this.

Socks!!! Mole skin. Hat, poncho, map, compass, TP, cotton balls covered in vaseline, food, water, lint inside TP tubes makes great fire starters, meds...
    Last edited by Wise Prepper; 10-23-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Kur0n likes this.

Well good start...now focus on those things you need near term...water storage...either a canteen (2 quart) or bottled water. some energy bars. Then maybe something to purify water... something to boil water and also cook any food. Some Iodine drops...that can be used to treat cuts, purify water, and ward off infection. Basic weather gear...warm or cold depending on the season....You can never go wrong with a Water proof poncho or tarp. Think about longer term planning...what if you can't go home...fishing line, hooks, etc. Hygiene items...tooth brush, tooth paste...orajel....Knives...field knife... navigational aids..compass..map of area......Good luck.
    pheniox17 and Kur0n like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sweet thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a 100 oz water bladder that is an extra for my camelbak is that enough onhand water for a BOB? Also wise prepper when you say mole skin do you mean like the moleskin bandage or the notebook? Also should I include both wool and cotton socks or one or the other? Its about to get cold here in Montana. Also when including maps should they be specialized maps for the areas I plan on being in (I have very detailed topos of 3 of the nearest national forests) or should they be more of an atlas or both? I think all 4 might be the right choice as they all have thre primary uses.

Mole skin as in a bandage for bad skin areas. If your not used to walking your feet will take a beating. This will help them heal and take that beating. Socks depending on climate. Maps for where you live and will be bugging out to. Also OSFG pointed out water. A life straw would be great if there are some streams you will be passing. Really depends on your area. I dont have a BOB. All I need to do is get home!
    Kur0n and Arklatex like this.

You'll get lots of good suggestions on content, so all I'll say is consider a different knife for your bob.
    If that is a U.S. made Schrade, they're hard to find and expensive.
    If you lose your bob or it is stolen, you lose a very nice knife given to you by your Grandpa.
    Spend the money or put in a Christmas request for a good knife for you bob.
    pheniox17, Kur0n, Zed and 1 others like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Prepper View Post
    Mole skin as in a bandage for bad skin areas. If your not used to walking your feet will take a beating. This will help them heal and take that beating. Socks depending on climate. Maps for where you live and will be bugging out to. Also OSFG pointed out water. A life straw would be great if there are some streams you will be passing. Really depends on your area. I dont have a BOB. All I need to do is get home!
    There are many streams in the area as well as many rivers I will look into a life straw for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Dog View Post
    You'll get lots of good suggestions on content, so all I'll say is consider a different knife for your bob.
    If that is a U.S. made Schrade, they're hard to find and expensive.
    If you lose your bob or it is stolen, you lose a very nice knife given to you by your Grandpa.
    Spend the money or put in a Christmas request for a good knife for you bob.
    Thanks for the tip. While it holds alot of sentimental value I didnt realize it was such a hard to find knife. i will look for something else to replace it with on a side note being a stupid kid when I got it I almost immediatly lost the sheath to it, any idea where I can source one?

I like the pack and your first steep

First point, set up a "fire kit" a small waterproof container that contains all the important fire making materials

Then a little propane fueled hiking stoves (sometimes you can get one with pots included)

Water, do both filter, chemical, and boil plans (sometimes filter + boil is perfect, sometimes you won't have the chance to boil your water)

Food, carry a few days worth of meals (If you can) gum and high energy snacks

Book, SAS survival guide, study it well

Shelter, tarp, swag, tent, poncho, whatever works

A full change of cloths (in a water proof bag)

A mini first aid kit (and know how to use it)

And what osfg said...
    Kur0n and Zed like this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Someone mentioned cotton balls in vaseline. I wouldn't pre-mix them. Instead of vaseline, take a tube of chapstick. It does the same thing and it much more versatile (less messy).

Also, beware of those Buffalo Wild Wing wipes as I don't think they are alcohol wipes, atleast not the ones by me. Rather, they are just "wetnaps" that don't have the high alcohol content as the ones you would find at a doctor's office, used to wipe the skin before getting an injection. Your BWW varieties may have alcohol, but I believe they are just cleaning wipes, not disinfecting ones.
    Kur0n likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links