WARNING - Virus Popup
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

WARNING - Virus Popup

This is a discussion on WARNING - Virus Popup within the Site Recommendations, Questions, and Support forums, part of the Site Support, Rules, Guidelines, Suggestions, Changes, Plans category; Hey Honchos After I opened the site on my PC, as I began to log in, a wild popup appeared that set off all my ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: WARNING - Virus Popup

WARNING - Virus Popup

Hey Honchos

After I opened the site on my PC, as I began to log in, a wild popup appeared that set off all my WARNING-Virus/Malware alarms (along with my pop-up blocker). I got it clicked off quickly but it was trying to take over my keystrokes.

Cant tell you any more about it - gone too fast - only that it came up when I clicked on the 'Remember me" box, which I click before typing in username/password...so maybe check around there. :shrug:

Good luck!
    Denton likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

Banned

Sounds like a browser hijack. Try rebooting your computer and using a different browser
    bigwheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Verba Bellum View Post
    Sounds like a browser hijack. Try rebooting your computer and using a different browser
    BAD ADVICE

Some crap 'installs' itself via reboot. Surprised you didn't know that - giving you benefit of the doubt that you didn't plant it or that your 're-boot' advice wasn't malicious.

I'm going to strip/clean the system before I do anything.
    Denton and RubberDuck like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Any time I get a pop-up like that, I get a screen shot to study. I then use another machine to investigate the issue. Only then do I start using the 'infected' computer again and then only to clean it up. Either run a full virus scan, or start manually deleting files/directories the infection needs to operate if there are any.

Sometimes pop-ups don't really do anything to your machine other than try to scare you into clicking on it. Once they are closed, you're done with it. And never "X" out of a pop-up to close it. Always use the Task Manager.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Windows 10 run the full scan then do the boot scan pretty darn effective . The boot scan scan before operating system is active.
    MountainGirl and Denton like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    BAD ADVICE

Some crap 'installs' itself via reboot. Surprised you didn't know that - giving you benefit of the doubt that you didn't plant it or that your 're-boot' advice wasn't malicious.

I'm going to strip/clean the system before I do anything.
    The fact that your browser scanner picked it up on the site means that it's on the server side. It's not local to your computer. A reboot will reset your cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Verba Bellum View Post
    The fact that your browser scanner picked it up on the site means that it's on the server side. It's not local to your computer. A reboot will reset your cache.
    Yes, it's on the site's server - which is why I made the thread; to let PF know.
    Rebooting does a lot more than 'reset cache' - and only then if settings are in place to empty cache while rebooting.
    Interesting that you keep pushing 'reboot'... but then again, if all one has is a hammer, everything looks like nails.

I appreciate your wanting to help, if that is what you're doing, but no thanks.
    I've read your other posts dude and frankly you have no cred with me.

So...
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 02-02-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    Denton and SGG like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Hey Honchos

After I opened the site on my PC, as I began to log in, a wild popup appeared that set off all my WARNING-Virus/Malware alarms (along with my pop-up blocker). I got it clicked off quickly but it was trying to take over my keystrokes.

Cant tell you any more about it - gone too fast - only that it came up when I clicked on the 'Remember me" box, which I click before typing in username/password...so maybe check around there. :shrug:

Good luck!
    Sounds like scareware. Run your AV/anti spyware program and it should take care of it.
    MountainGirl and Denton like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    And never "X" out of a pop-up to close it. Always use the Task Manager.
    This is good advice.

Administrator

Next time you get it on the site, copy the link of the page you are on here, and let me know any details you can. A screenshot would be good, or if you anti-virus gives you a URL that is being blocked, whatever you got

Kevin
    Slippy likes this.
    admin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links