Question regarding a 20 Ga.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question regarding a 20 Ga.

This is a discussion on Question regarding a 20 Ga. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Paul S posted a thread about the effective range of his guns and it reminded me of a question that I have had for quite ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Question regarding a 20 Ga.

Question Question regarding a 20 Ga.

Paul S posted a thread about the effective range of his guns and it reminded me of a question that I have had for quite some time...I have a 20 Ga. pump action shotgun with a modified choke, what would the effective range be for this gun on a man sized target? What about a whitetail deer? Thank you for your input!
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.

I really want one of these!Hidden Content

practice with the gun it is the only way to really find out there is a difference between shooting at a deer and wounding or incapacitating a human accuracy with a modified choke and no school can be very difficult at long distance 80 yards and the bead on the end of the gun looks like a basketball. also consider the power of the rounds that you're purchasing for it. 3 inch Magnum 20 gauge buckshot will usually incapacitate a human being at 100 yards

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by alterego View Post
    practice with the gun it is the only way to really find out there is a difference between shooting at a deer and wounding or incapacitating a human accuracy with a modified choke and no school can be very difficult at long distance 80 yards and the bead on the end of the gun looks like a basketball. also consider the power of the rounds that you're purchasing for it. 3 inch Magnum 20 gauge buckshot will usually incapacitate a human being at 100 yards
    Agreed! Also, hitting a practice target at 100 yards and hitting an object in motion / while you are in motion at 100 yards are two very different things.

I find number 8 effective at knocking a raccoon out of a tree at 20 yards or so . If some sob tries climbing to get away, I'll let you know what happens...

I have the same question. I am ready to buy a Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge, for home defense. So we're talking about shorter range - not shooting a deer. I will look up the link you provided, Paraquak. Thanks. But as a quick answer, what would be the best ammo, short of buck shot, to drop someone, say at 20 yards. That would be someone in my fenced backyard.
    Slippy, CWOLDOJAX, ekim and 1 others like this.

RN

I prefer the Winchester PDX brand for personal protection. Federal makes a personal defense load as well. Slugs or buckshot in my opinion are excellent for defense. Good luck.
    See links.

Winchester PDX1 Defender Ammo 20 Ga 2-3/4 3/4oz Segmenting Slug

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammo 20 Ga 2-3/4 #4 Buckshot Shot 24
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

12 20 410 all have same muzzle velocity...so

Thanks, Slippy.

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    I have the same question. I am ready to buy a Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge, for home defense. So we're talking about shorter range - not shooting a deer. I will look up the link you provided, Paraquak. Thanks. But as a quick answer, what would be the best ammo, short of buck shot, to drop someone, say at 20 yards. That would be someone in my fenced backyard.
    Next best besides Slug or Buck would be a BB load of Bismuth or other non steel duck/goose load.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links