Tactical 12 gauge shotguns for home defense
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Tactical 12 gauge shotguns for home defense within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I would personally not recommend a shotgun as a primary only because of its limited range. I've seen guys putting a laser, bayonette, a scope ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Tactical 12 gauge shotguns for home defense

I would personally not recommend a shotgun as a primary only because of its limited range. I've seen guys putting a laser, bayonette, a scope and slugs won't change that limited range and accuracy. If you get into a firefight with some guy who has a rifle he can hit you from way farther and even a rifled barrel and slugs won't match the accuracy of a rifle even using plain iron sights agianst an of these tactical shotguns all over you tube. A shotgun in my opinion IS THE ULTIMATE close quarters weapon but you don't want to be close. I would get a SKS or AK if on a budget they have more moving parts but still very reliable. I have an 8rd Mossberg Maverick 88 (with all kinds accessories) to make it as usable to anyone to everyone in my family as I can, and I love this thing. For home defense Its my go to but if I had to choose one and run I would take the AR because it can reach out and touch someone from a safe distance. If we get and injured and our wounds get infected during a SHTF senario your SOL.I make alot more points my new youtube vids (I do youtube urban prepping under the radar on youtube) and show how to have a pretty decent way to make a good shotgun vest, tell me what you think

also join the "SONS OF LIBERTY" right here on this forum under community and groups

Last edited by thomasdangerpowers; 06-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.

I agree that the shotgun is for close quarters. No question that a rifle would have a distant advantage. Therefore, I suggest a shotgun and and an AR

Currently, I have a Remington 870 with an extended tube. Saving for a Colt AR!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check out Hidden Content a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Check our sister forum DefensiveCarry.com Hidden Content A lot of good information and dialogue.

I have an old Mossberg 550, when i was a kid i loaded a shotshell that i took out the lead shot so i could fire off for the 4th. It just went "Fooof", so i loaded a second good shell and fired it off. Only prob was the wad from the first was still in the barrel. BANG!! It split the barrel at exactly 18 inches. So i hacksawed it off and now its my "tatical" shotgun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have always thought when I get some extra money to invest in a shot gun for my wife, me personal I will stick with my glock, way to good of a shot to use anything else...
    Stick likes this.

I added some Trijican HD's to my Glock, they have that eerie green radioactive glow that really shows up in the dark. My hallway dictates a left-handed shot, which is easier with a pistol than a long gun.
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.

I have a 12 Gauge Mossberg 500 I use for home defense, but I agree I would not think of the 12 g. as a primary weapon. For that a rifle is a must. Ideally one ought to have both but if you can't the rifle takes predominance.

My Siaga 12 does very well. I had a very nice opportunity to use mine in a shoot house a while back. It preformed very well in the multi roomed house. It does have a decent amount of muzzle flash. (event was held at night w/ tac light to simulate home defense scenario) only disadvantage is when I run out of magazines and drums, it's hard to throw a shell in the chamber and slide it home. Much easier in a pump action.

OP, what do you consider "limited range"?
    A shotgun with slugs can get combat accurate hits at 100 yards.
    If you are in a "firefight" @ 100+ yards, then you need to leave.
    Freedom Fighter
    Guns kill people like pencils make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by yzingerr View Post
    OP, what do you consider "limited range"?
    A shotgun with slugs can get combat accurate hits at 100 yards.
    If you are in a "firefight" @ 100+ yards, then you need to leave.
    But, as with anything, it takes lots of practice.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I still see it that for defense against humans, if your good enough with a carbine or rifle and it's manueverable indoors and can hit at combat range outside, there's little need for a shotgun. You can get faster followups, higher capacity, longer range and more precision at distance, lower recoil, and carry more ammo. A shotgun hits harder up close that's no doubt, and it's a more pc one shot stop too at close range, but after that it looses appeal to me. I liked my last one, an 11-87, but really just didn't need it much when it came down to it. Like all my shotguns, I like a stock and even with 18 inch barrels there still pretty long. At home first and foremost I grab a pistol. It's the most maneuverable and concealable which I need at times to find out what the problem is before putting holes into things. If I feel the need to grab a long gun, there's a good reason and that reason would make me grab a carbine, not a shotgun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links