Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper

This is a discussion on Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; For years I have had a Remington 1100 with slug barrel I picked up for $175.00 last January I picked up a Mossberg 500 with ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper

For years I have had a Remington 1100 with slug barrel I picked up for $175.00 last January I picked up a Mossberg 500 with 18 and 26 barrels for $350.00 including Brady I have been issued Remington 870's for decades. All work well all do the job you can't go wrong with these.

If you get a Mossberg, do yourself a favor and replace the tang safety button with one you make from metal. I heard about the buttons splitting but didn't have any trouble with mine until I left it in the closet for a year. I pulled it out and pushed the safety to take it off and it fell to the floor in two pieces. I made a new one from some 3/8" key stock I had on hand and it works fine. I even blackened it using a torch and oil. I may make another one and do a better job on the finish but the first one works fine - it just isn't as nicely finished as I would like and the shape is a little "off". That is my only complaint with my Mossberg 500 ATP-8 other than the lack of barrels for use with the long (7 round) magazine. The normal 500 barrels don't work unless you replace the magazine with the shorter one.

Last edited by PaulS; 03-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.

When my brother and I divided my fathers guns after his passing we came across a Benelli "bird" gun. Its semi auto, 12 gauge and to describe it lightly - BEAT TO HELL - scratches all over, wear on the bluing, but the insides looked fine, cleaned and oiled properly as my dad took pretty good care of his fireams. When my brother and I aged out of going hunting with dad and went our ways into careers he kept duck hunting religously for years. In the early years we were his "dogs" and would go pick up the birds. In his later years he was his own dog and picked up the birds himself going in and out of the blind. I'm assuming that's how his Benelli got beat up so bad. I hit 25/25 in trap within last summer, cleaned it up and recognize its the only shotgun I have. I'd kind of like a Mossy 510 for my wife but its not routinely in the stores around here and money is limited for right now. Thanks Dad; without his beat up ole benelli I'd be stuck with nothing but grandpas Model 12 - 16 gauge and the 4 boxes of shells I keep for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I've always been a po' boy, not very often can I buy any gun new - full retail. But I, like the original poster, love shotguns (and 22 cal rifles).
    I'm fortunate to have a fairly good basic knowledge of firearms, having been shooting, reading about, and owning them for over 50 years. This comes in handy for shopping for used guns. Here are a couple of my pawn shop/gunstore used rack purchases:
    Remington 870 Super Magnum Express 12 ga - $185, tax included
    Winchester 1300 Youth Model 20 ga - $165, tax included
    Ithaca 37 Featherlight DS Police Special 12 ga - $300 ( I really wanted it, so was willing to pay the price)

Why buy new? And one does not really need a tactical black plastic folding stock high capacity ghost ring sighted ninja zombie slayer shotgun. A plain bird gun will serve you just as well.
    Just my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I inherited a Rem 870 16ga from my dad, got it when i was around 14. I love it, problem is ammo is so expensive so i will invest in a 12ga one of these days.

I sold the H&R Topper no bar before SOCOM's post. I now have a 870 youth in 20, for $225 OTD used at the local pawn. The mag tube has no wear.

I paid a visit to a gun store about 30 minutes from me yesterday that up until about a week ago had been wholesale only. The place specializes in tactical shotguns. Must have been at least 50 Mossy 5xx's and Remmy 870's in differing modes of dress. Shotgun heaven, it is.

They also had about 5 pistols, lol.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I've never been a shotgun fan though I've had a few. To me the most common the 870 is the best for a prepper with how many parts and options are available and the steel receiver and quality. Than the 590. For a cheaper solution and still a very useable quality the IAC's are a good option. The Hawk which is patterned after the 870 and has some interchangeable parts with it, is a nice choice. They come with a good set of irons which can make a world of difference for the average shotgun user in hitting what they want to.

HAWK 12 GA. PUMP DEFENSE SHOTGUN

Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper-iac12-2-500x500.jpg

I have a little rossi 410. beats me up pretty bad. ill be going back and getting the semi auto 20ga some time this summer.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Jaye880 View Post
    I inherited a Rem 870 16ga from my dad, got it when i was around 14. I love it, problem is ammo is so expensive so i will invest in a 12ga one of these days.
    I just got my first 16 gauge last week - a 1941 Harrington & Richardson Model 120 tube magazine fed bolt action.
    I've got a sweet spot for old bolt action shotguns, this makes my third along with Mossbergs in 410 and 20.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I love my mossberg 500. With a nice stock and the right ammo it makes a fun shooter and a great self defense weapon. Picked mine up at turners for 299!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links