Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper

This is a discussion on Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Budget and effective not a cheapy but low cost Simple Mossberg Maverick model 88 can be had for 159-189 shop around they are about 38 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Budget Shotguns for the Frugal Prepper

Budget and effective not a cheapy but low cost
    Simple Mossberg Maverick model 88 can be had for 159-189 shop around they are about 38 inch over all not to short not to long good for both hunting and Defense.
    At that price you can afford to have a couple extra around.

Quote Originally Posted by aquahull View Post
    i picked up a 1976 era , pre transfer bar, h&r topper youth model in 20 gauge last week or so for $85.
    I will advise everyone here, DO NOT, repeat DO NOT get any h&r with a transfer bar.

If you have one, get rid of it NOW!

The bar will break, not a question of if but when.

They are powdered parts made by presmet corp. In Worcester ma.

Over the last five years i have replaced at least 28 of them.

They all break in the same place.

I bought the last 11 that GPC had in stock, I now have four left. They are for the gun shops i repair guns for .

I also advised them not to take any in on trade or buy outright.

The guns are junk. The cock notch on the hammer also breaks off. Did at least 6 of those also in the same time frame.

JUST MY OPINION FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I will advise everyone here, DO NOT, repeat DO NOT get any h&r with a transfer bar.

If you have one, get rid of it NOW!

The bar will break, not a question of if but when.

They are powdered parts made by presmet corp. In Worcester ma.

Over the last five years i have replaced at least 28 of them.

They all break in the same place.

I bought the last 11 that GPC had in stock, I now have four left. They are for the gun shops i repair guns for .

I also advised them not to take any in on trade or buy outright.

The guns are junk. The cock notch on the hammer also breaks off. Did at least 6 of those also in the same time frame.

JUST MY OPINION FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.
    I'll bet that's news to the guys over on the H&R boards at Marlin Firearms Forum, or graybeardsoutdors. I've had no problems with H&R/New England Firearms single shot shotguns or rifles. Been using them for years. 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410, 22 Hornet, 45-70 Government.
    Of course, if anyone wants to take socom42's advice and get rid of them, just give them to me. And being a nice guy, I'll pay the FFL transfer fee.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 12-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    i'll bet that's news to the guys over on the h&r boards at marlin firearms forum, or graybeardsoutdors. I've had no problems with h&r/new england firearms single shot shotguns or rifles. Been using them for years. 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410, 22 hornet, 45-70 government.
    Of course, if anyone wants to take socom42's advice and get rid of them, just give them to me. And being a nice guy, i'll pay the ffl transfer fee.
    just a hint, i worked at h&r for 17 years. Toolmaker/process engineer.

The older ones, pre t-bar are fine. THEY ARE MUCH BETTER MADE GUNS.

I AM REFERRING TO THE ONES MADE IN GARDENER, MA. I CANNOT SPEAK OF THE NEW OWNERS QUALITY.

I WOULD HATE TO SEE SOMEONE HAVE THEIR LIFE DEPEND ON A T-BAR GUN. THE HAMMERS ARE ALSO POWDER PARTS.

IF YOU THINK I AM TALKING THROUGH MY A$$, FINE, I DO NOT CARE.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 12-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Check local pawn shops for a used Mossberg 500 A....Should run $150-200 tops. I bought a used one and after a steady diet of Mag #4 buck it is still running strong. I am gonna guess 5000 plus rounds out of a 16 inch barrel, it rattles like a rock in a tin can but still goes bang every time.

Karsten

I agree with what many are saying.

a Maverick 88 is good enough. I have one and I love mine. The current cheapest price brand new retail are at about 160. Note you can easily buy shorter barrels that are made for the Mossberg 500 and swap it in. If you dont want the long barrel. Also pretty much the parts made for a Moss 500 are interchangeable with the Maverick.

Off course if you have the money around to spend then buy a Mossberg 500. They are pretty cheap. The mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 are probably the most common shotguns around. So parts are easy to frankenstein together if when SHTF and your gun messes up.

Also the Remington 870 are quite common but cost a bit more since the military uses them and thus for no reason at all it is usually priced higher than the Mossberg 500 which is used by police officers. By this I mean there are more 500 deployed in the cities and towns in the US than the 870 in military setting.

Two more points I would like to point out for those who are frugal preppers are these ;

First is stick with a 12 gauge because is is a common gauge so finding ammo for it is qute easy if you have to break into abandon houses to look for some chances are you will find 12 ga. Also 12 ga shotshells are cheaper than the other gauges. You can easily buy them too at Walmart for dirt cheap and they are not even locked behind the glass cabinet. It really doesnt matter if you get buckshots or number 9 shots. It is best to have something than nothing (you can always pick up a rock!!). And remember this: If you shot at something with enough shots it will die!!! So if you are frugal just go ahead and buy up all the birdshots you can buy with your budget they go about 23 bucks per 100 shotshells. So they are pretty cheap.

Second is ummm shotgun dont have rifling or other issues that other firearms has. So it is perfectly fine to just go to the local pawn shop and get a shotgun used from them. There is no point of paying brand new retail price for a shotgun. (Really !!! ) Shotgun are made for rough use. If you think about it. It is really just a piece of metal tube that dispenses a huge amount of little metal balls at whatever you are pointing the tube at. So as long at the gun dont rattle too much and all the function works fine with not too much rust, you are good to go. So if your local pawn shop have shotguns that are reasonably price if not quit cheap then why not? Now be aware that some pawn shop people rip off people with their expensive prices. So at least know what it is price retail from those big box store then browse a few pawn shop to determined which one seems reasonable. Side note......pick one that holds the most rounds like a 9 round rather than a 6 round. Hey!! those two or three extra rounds might matter!!!

So in the end, I just wanted to say go with a common shotgun like the mossberg 500 or maverick 88 or Renmington 870, get a 12 ga so that you can load up with more ammo than you would with weird gauges, buy one cheap at the pawn shop or if the local gun store see if they have any cheapy ones that they got from trade ins.

Not only that it is okay to buy little metal balls dispensing metal tubing used, but it is probably a smart idea.

I am not a gun collector ,I dont need my guns to be shinny and nice. I want them all to work when I need them to work.

And also while you are at it, buy a couple of 5 gallon buckets also. I love buckets :D
    I like buckets Hidden Content

I just picked up a Rock Island Armory M5 for $169.00 and its a solid running shotgun. Gotta warn you though it's heavy. The other complaint is there are no after market parts for it so it is what it is. I think the Mossberg or Remington are the way to go because there are a million and one parts out there for them.
    Last edited by Meangreen; 12-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.

One advantage with the 870 over the mossberg is, that you can get extension tubes to make it up to 8-10 shots.

The older 870's are as simple to convert by just unscrewing the end cap, popping out the spring retainer, removing spring and follower.

Newer models need the dimples removed.

There are several manufactures you can select from. Brownell's sells them and scattergun tech .

They come in 12 and 20 gage and fit the 1100, 1148 and 1187 also.

As with the 500, you can get all sorts of barrel lengths.

Just saw a new H and R Pardner at Wally world for 179.99

I picked up my Remington 870 Tactical last January for $350 or so at Wal-Mart. I like it a whole lot more than the Mossberg 500s I've used in the military, and it wasn't at all hard to get a good retractable stock for it. Definitely has my vote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links