Gun range report
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gun range report

This is a discussion on Gun range report within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Today I found myself at Lytle creek gun range out here in California. I just purchased a mossberg 500 persuader in 12 gauge. It is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun range report

Gun range report

Today I found myself at Lytle creek gun range out here in California. I just purchased a mossberg 500 persuader in 12 gauge. It is a black mean looking shotgun and that is honestly what attracted me to it in the first place. Took some bird shot, 00 Buck, 00Buck law enforcement reduced recoil, and some slugs of course For starters my expectations were high given the appearance of the weapon and the reputation Mossberg 500's carry. First shell chambered was a Slug. Holy crap! Damn shotgun almost flew out of my arms haha! Next round a regular 00buck, same thing pretty powerful and did not feel good on my hand. 00buck reduced recoil was next and it felt a whole lot better. Bird shot actually was not bad either. Next time I think I will be leaning more toward the Reduced recoil rounds and the bird-shot. The shotgun for sure needs a stock, for a day at the range the jerk was so bad In a self defense situation I don't know if the barrel would be pointing at the intruder or my loved ones. Accuracy from hip fire was bad until about 20 rounds I found my sweet spot. I highly recommend cleaning/oiling the gun even if its fresh out of the box. Learned my lesson today. Overall I was happy with the mossberg the power was very nice and I know with the right stock and ammo I would be 100 percent happy with it.

Also shot a mossberg 715t 22lr tactical and a hipower 9mm. Mossberg was a fun little gun to shoot. hit a target 200 yards out and was impressed by its accuracy. Only con was that it felt like if I dropped it who knows if it would make it. The hipower 9mm was also nice for its 200 dollar price tag it did its job nothing special about it.

Seen some guns that caught my eye. The remington 700 was a real beauty. Made a real impression on me.

Anyway! Feeling wiped from all the shooting this morning. Hope my review helps someone. And if you have any recommendations please post. I am in the market for a nice stock.

thank you for the range report. we looked at the mossbergs too, but i ended up getting both my sons the rem870 tac.
    i had magpul furniture put on, brings a whole new sexy to the gun, specially since my boys are 6'4 220 lbs, it kinda bulks the gun up.
    do you have a photo of your gun?

check magpul for furniture, they have neat colors.

Thanks for the taking the time to put up the range report. It made for a great read about your experiences with the mossy 500
    Juggernaut and shotlady like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I will upload one tomorrow. I have my case coming and my tactical rail so It will add a little sexy to it If your son gets a chance have him get some Winchester slugs. It was like shooting a cannon ball. Made a cool thump sound coming out too haha. I wonder if magpul sells some nice grips for my persuader. The recoil was eating away at my thumb skin. Still pumped
    shotlady likes this.

Good to hear a range report. Yeah the pistol grip only guns can be a hand full for sure. They due make a shotgun a bit more handy in tighter confines. But to be honest with you, the reduced loads in OO-Buck and slugs is all you really need. I have found that not only is the lighter recoil conducive to follow on shots...if one is needed, are much quicker, but the patterns with shot are actually tighter in most cases and the penetration is actually better due to less pellet deformation and slightly lower impact velocities. At least thats been my experience when shooting Hogs and Deer and doing patterning at the range. YMMV...
    shotlady likes this.

They're out of stock on just about everything but MidwayUSA lists 4 pages worth of stocks for that gun. Stocks | Mossberg 500 | Mossberg I'd look into a collapsible model or maybe a folder for it. Those short barrel pistol gripped shotguns can be quite a handful I much prefer a full buttstock, even when firing from the hip.

-Infidel
    shotlady and Juggernaut like this.

i did buy them the winchester slugs. like a yrs supply. lol the cool thing about the magpul that we needed was the extenders for the stock it has 4 quarter inch extenders. the store charge us 149 and 69. but you get them online for cheaper. i went back and had them refund the difference. fucking me is shitty. specially for the volume of guns and ammo i buy...shouldnt be sticking it to me.

Im with Infidel on the stock issue and thats coming from a retired Weapons Tech with 3 combat tours and a lot of time spent at the range and running armorys. Unless concealment or having to fight from a vehicle is the MO of the day I most definitely prefer a full stock model on a shotgun. The standard type stock with a pistol grip might also be a viable option for you and is something I am pretty down with all though I typical shy away from the tacticool look for the most part. I would much rather have some trijicon Rifle Sights or Ghost Ring sights than a pistol grip or even a folding stock. But then again I am a simple kinda guy and like simple kind of things. So Im more into basics than fads. Magpul has some great accessories out there though for your gun and have a reputation for innovation as well as quality!!!
    shotlady and inceptor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
    thank you for the range report. we looked at the mossbergs too, but i ended up getting both my sons the rem870 tac.
    i had magpul furniture put on, brings a whole new sexy to the gun, specially since my boys are 6'4 220 lbs, it kinda bulks the gun up.
    do you have a photo of your gun?

check magpul for furniture, they have neat colors.

Will you adopt me...please??

IMO pistol grip on a shot gun a no go. I have none anymore with them.
    Mossberg makes a great product and a fair price
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links