Advice on Shell loads
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Advice on Shell loads

This is a discussion on Advice on Shell loads within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Hi I am new to prepping and live in a country were the largest size of ammo I can get is BB. I currently have ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice on Shell loads

Advice on Shell loads

Hi I am new to prepping and live in a country were the largest size of ammo I can get is BB. I currently have a few packs of 9 shot and a few 5 and 6.

They range from 24 grams to 36 grams

What are the best for prepping? I have seen a video on you tube for prepping and they say to have a wide variety so you can hunt small birds and protect your house.

Can someone advise which are best to keep a few boxes of? also has anyone found a website that shows the damage caused but each size of shell?

One could always cut around the case where the cushion part of the wad is to make what the rednecks call a "Cutshell".

My friends and I would craft the change to our field loads and shoot them at water jugs for a splash.

Cutting around the shell leaves the front part intact around the wad. When fired the wad and front part stay together with the shot`and it act's like a slug.

Neo... If you are limited on what you can purchase... then it should cost you a lot less to stock up on all options. Keep in mind that prepping considers all possible situations. Besides the normal disaster types, one of those could include additional gov't restrictions on the types of ammo you can purchase. So... if you buy now you are usually grandfathered with the law. Besides... what they don't know they can't do anything about.

Another reason to have a wide range and large stockpile is that any excess you don't need can be used as a barter item to get what you do need. You may prep... but that doesn't mean your neighbors do. It's better to have something to trade them and make them feel secure than to have to fight them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

#9 shot is mostly used for shooting clay pigions in trap and skeet competition.
    #6 is used for hunting game birds such as dove, quail, etc.
    #5 and #4 shot is used for larger birds such as turkey, pheasant, etc.
    Steel BB is used here in the states where lead shot is banned for use - hunting migratory waterfowl like geese and ducks. The shot used is larger in size because it weighs less than lead and has to be bigger to kill the bird.
    If the BB size shot available to you is lead that's even better.
    Myself, if I was limited to your options I would keep #6 for hunting - good for smaller birds, rabbits, squirrels, and similar sized game. I would keep BB for self defense, at ranges of 5 meters or less it would be deadly; at 10 meters it would at least make an adversary run away.
    What country do you live in? What gauge shotgun do you have?
    survival likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

my shotgun is a 12 guage and I in Europe I would rather not say which country at this time
    Last edited by neo4516; 11-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Go old school for home defense and fill some loads with rock salt

Neo,
    I would say get what you can and try to get a variety of shots.

even if you only get #9 loads. They will still do the job (be it defense or killing birds or animals). Some might say using #9 for defense will not stop a man. Well I would say otherwise because when 30-60 pellets are shot all over your body you will be in extreme agony, pump a couple more shots on you and you will be dead. For hunting, most people dont like #9 because the spread is to much and also too many pellets. meaning if you shoot a turkey with #9 shots then you will end up having a lot of pellets in your teeth when you are eating it.

So the best advise will be get what your can get and try to get a variety, if not any shots is better than no shots.

After a lot of research I have found these two videos

Saw this video after watching the video you posted.
    This is a much better video. It shows bird shots on a big slab of meat. and look closely on the birdshots pellets all over the thing creating a big crater.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gq3RVvL9ZjU
    I like buckets Hidden Content

very nice video, nice to see that bird shot is getting some good testing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links