M-37 Ithaca - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

M-37 Ithaca

This is a discussion on M-37 Ithaca within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Slippy Every man needs a stable of shotguns! I think I have 14, I'm not really sure. I'd have to find them ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: M-37 Ithaca

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Every man needs a stable of shotguns!
    I think I have 14, I'm not really sure. I'd have to find them all and count them.
    My barn gun is a 1930's era Stevens 12 ga single shot, my truck gun (at the moment) is a Stevens 67E 12 ga pump, my bedside gun is a Stoeger Uplander 20 ga SXS, behind the bedroom door is a .410, a 20 and a 12 - all single shot H&R's, leaning up against the dresser ready to head out to the chicken pen at 0200 hours is a Mossberg 12 ga O/U.

I know that close at hand and all loaded are a 1940 Mossberg 20 bolt action, a Mossberg 183KE .410 bolt action, a Stoeger Uplander SXS .410.
    Somewhere there is a Remington 870 12 ga, another Stevens 12 ga single shot, a beautiful H&R Classic Youth Model 20 ga single, and a project gun that needs some parts and work - 1941 H&R Model 120 Game Gun, a bolt action tube magazine 16 ga.

Plus the Ithaca, I THINK that's all I have.

And calling my name from the pawn shop next town down the line is a classic Mossberg bolt action 16 ga with adjustable choke. The detachable box magazine is there too - those are almost impossible to get. They only want $150. I'm going to have to put it on lay away.

Yep!! Shotguns are cool, cheap to buy when used, cheap to feed, and the 12 ga is the poor man's nuclear weapon.
    Oh, I forgot. I bought my wife a 20 ga Winchester 1300 Youth Model. She keeps it loaded with #3 buck for when I'm away from the homestead.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    The "slamfire" was built into the guns at the factory, mostly in riot and trench guns.

All three of these have the "slamfire" capability.

They were made without a disconnect.
    Question for the Guru - my Ithaca says on the barrel: Model 37 Featherlight 12 ga 2 3/4 Chamber. Above that is stamped D.S. Police Special. Engraved on the sides of the receiver are ducks in flight on one side, a dog with upland birds on the other.
    Barrel is 20" and rifle sighted. I'm assuming it is a cylinder bore. Serial number is 984XXX.
    Is this a slam fire? I've never tried it, and probably wouldn't do so even if it was.
    Any idea of age? 1970's maybe?
    There is a worn spot in the bluing on top of the barrel where it evidently rode in a cruiser rack for years. Otherwise it is in great shape, apparently carried much and fired little.

I paid $300 plus tax plus call in fee for it a dozen years ago. I think I got a good deal. At least, I'm happy with it.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Question for the Guru - my Ithaca says on the barrel: Model 37 Featherlight 12 ga 2 3/4 Chamber. Above that is stamped D.S. Police Special. Engraved on the sides of the receiver are ducks in flight on one side, a dog with upland birds on the other.
    Barrel is 20" and rifle sighted. I'm assuming it is a cylinder bore. Serial number is 984XXX.
    Is this a slam fire? I've never tried it, and probably wouldn't do so even if it was.
    Any idea of age? 1970's maybe?
    There is a worn spot in the bluing on top of the barrel where it evidently rode in a cruiser rack for years. Otherwise it is in great shape, apparently carried much and fired little.

I paid $300 plus tax plus call in fee for it a dozen years ago. I think I got a good deal. At least, I'm happy with it.

Hard to say, it could have been ordered with it.

That I don't believe was a contract gun but one pulled from the commercial line and built to order.

As a police model it is a cylinder bore.

Mine are all contract guns and have no side engraving.

I had one just like yours, gave it to a friend for SD.

There is a place online where you can check for production dates.

The short one I showed has a serial number way above yours @ 1010XXX, it was made in the late 60s.

Have had that one for 30 years now. It is a contract gun.

To check if it does have slam, unload it, put in battery and dry fire it,

rack the slide back and then back into battery without letting the trigger go.

Release the trigger and pull again if the hammer drops it does not have it

Let me correct something here, it is not really a slamfire,

the bolt is locked in battery before the hammer is released.

The action is similar to that of a full auto M16 as in hammer release timing.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-16-2020 at 02:45 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I think I have 14, I'm not really sure. I'd have to find them all and count them.
    My barn gun is a 1930's era Stevens 12 ga single shot, my truck gun (at the moment) is a Stevens 67E 12 ga pump, my bedside gun is a Stoeger Uplander 20 ga SXS, behind the bedroom door is a .410, a 20 and a 12 - all single shot H&R's, leaning up against the dresser ready to head out to the chicken pen at 0200 hours is a Mossberg 12 ga O/U.

I know that close at hand and all loaded are a 1940 Mossberg 20 bolt action, a Mossberg 183KE .410 bolt action, a Stoeger Uplander SXS .410.
    Somewhere there is a Remington 870 12 ga, another Stevens 12 ga single shot, a beautiful H&R Classic Youth Model 20 ga single, and a project gun that needs some parts and work - 1941 H&R Model 120 Game Gun, a bolt action tube magazine 16 ga.

Plus the Ithaca, I THINK that's all I have.

And calling my name from the pawn shop next town down the line is a classic Mossberg bolt action 16 ga with adjustable choke. The detachable box magazine is there too - those are almost impossible to get. They only want $150. I'm going to have to put it on lay away.

Yep!! Shotguns are cool, cheap to buy when used, cheap to feed, and the 12 ga is the poor man's nuclear weapon.
    Oh, I forgot. I bought my wife a 20 ga Winchester 1300 Youth Model. She keeps it loaded with #3 buck for when I'm away from the homestead.
    RPD's post ^^^^^^made me smile like dadgum kid looking at the candy store window!

Funny story, yesterday we had Son1 and a couple of his friends over for lunch. One couple brought their 3 year old little girl. Our home is NOT kid proof so prior to their arrival, me and Mrs Slippy went around the main rooms collecting the firearms that we have strategically placed and put them in my locked closet while the child was here.

It made me smile to do a mental inventory of our defensive cache of weaponry! God Bless Our Founding Fathers and their 2nd Amendment Brilliance!

@rice paddy daddy , yours was made in 1946 or 1947.

That is depending on what list you read.

My short one was made in 1968.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-16-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

@rice paddy daddy , yours was made in 1946 or 1947.

That is depending on what list you read.

My short one was made in 1968.
    Thank you, sir. As a big fan of classic firearms, that makes me smile!!

In my own mind I wonder WHY someone would want a brand new Mossberg 500 instead of a wood and blue steel classic like this.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

Thank you, sir. As a big fan of classic firearms, that makes me smile!!

In my own mind I wonder WHY someone would want a brand new Mossberg 500 instead of a wood and blue steel classic like this.

About 15 years ago at the LGS,

the owner gave me a price on an 870 Wingmaster made in the 70's, that was $150.00, remember I repair his guns.

The 870 was almost like new, short barreled riot gun.

I said OK on the price, then he proceeded to offer me an 500 as an alternate, declined.

Then asked if I would buy it too, if the price was right, $50.00 he said, sold, it too was in like new condition and a SD gun also.

Walked out with both of them that day, went back home and ordered 2K of 00.

Today they both do duty a room cleaners, each in their own location.

Back then I was a shift commander and carried the 870 along with a full auto M4 in my Grand Cherokee.

My M37 was a Christmas present from Mom and Dad ( I got the present early, so I could make deer season ).

It was used but near new condition. It's a featherlight, has the engraved receiver, and checkered rather than ribbed forearm. From serial # made in late 1950s. Came with two barrels, a 28" modified choke w/florescent orange bead on front, the other a 26" "deerslayer" open cylinder barrel w/rifle sights similar to the one on SOCOM's. That is a great sight for low light conditions, semi-buckhorn in the back, and florescent triangle up front.

The choked barrel does well on birds, bunnies, and squirrels. The slug barrel throws foster slugs excellent, 97 paces is my farthest one shot on a deer with it (double lunger). It will do tennis ball sized groups at 75 yds (outer spread), which ain't bad considering a 12ga foster slug is > 0.6" itself. Plenty good for deer with opens.

The M37 is well balanced and handles well. The bottom load and eject helps keep foul weather out of the receiver, barrel comes off for cleaning in seconds. One of the many great JMB designs.

On the other topic.

I used to take care of computers that ran scientific instruments for a science department. Some were old beasts that ran DOS, most everything newer were Windows based. I dreaded "upgrading" software/computers, when what was in place worked well and bugs all fixed. Besides getting the computer/software to work, I also had to tutor everyone on use, AARRGGHH!!!!!!

The computers were mostly Dells, and I've spent time, in Dell Hell......

This is to @rice paddy daddy and @Mad Trapper .

Here are pictures of my three Mod 37's.

Basically this is a test of me trying this new computer with Win-10+,

Have used Win-7 for 10 years, inching my way through this system.

There two eight shot and one five shot guns.

The eight shot ones are brand new unfired prison guns that never were shipped.

The five shot is a retired police gun that had surface/handling wear, little shooting.

I refinished it in the original Parko process, added the sling swivels.

I have a bunch more scatter guns, this is just the Ithaca's.

Attachment 107881

Well that worked, but what sucks is that I had file names on each set.

Now they are listed by dates taken which means nothing to me for reference.
    Good work. That was the standard trunk gun in Texas Hypo cars till they got tired of accidental slam fires and took em away and gave us 870 Reminingtons. Always worked fine. Liked the old gun better. I was there when the guy training us about slam fires shot a hole in the ceiling to demonstrate. Rumor was it was going to cost took much to fix a few thousand. Now I see folks brag on having one that has that flaw. Smart boys knew to keep the booger hookes off the bang switch when working the slide. Weve had windoze 10 for a couple of years. Cant tell it aniy better or worse than the one before.

@bigwheel , read post #13 in this thread on the slamfires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links