Salty's Gun Review: "Ole Smoke Pole", a discussion review about single shot shottys
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Salty's Gun Review: "Ole Smoke Pole", a discussion review about single shot shottys

This is a discussion on Salty's Gun Review: "Ole Smoke Pole", a discussion review about single shot shottys within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Salty's Gun Review: "Ole Smoke Pole", a discussion review about single shot shottys

I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, and I will pull no punches... these are guns I own and shoot, and I will address them from a "prepping/survival perspective".

Today's review is of the “The Ole Smoke Pole”

This review is going to be completely different, because I am not talking about one gun, I am talking about one TYPE of gun, a gun you probably already own, a single shot standard-gauge shotgun, typically 12 & 20 gauge, and also .410 caliber. This also includes any other single shot break-loading shotty, from 8 gauge on down.

The first gun I ever owned is a smoke pole. My father gave it to me in 1975, it’s an H&R Topper Youth Model 20 gauge, blued barrel, stainless receiver and black stock and fore grip. Dad and I would go out to Pilot’s Bluff and hunt rattlers… we must have killed hundreds of them with our “Ole Smoke Pole’s”. Dad used an old Stevens Special “Smoke Pole”, which is pictured here (I don’t actually shoot this gun any more and I have very much outgrown the Topper, but it has sentimental value at least to me. It’s now a wall-hanger).

This is an interactive review, I am going to present a philosophy of use and some options and hopefully generate a discussion about whether these guns are something every prepper should have, or something best left as decorations on the wall.

Additionally, the merits of a double barrel (whether shotty, coach gun or over/under rifle/shotty combo) can be discussed here as well…

Philosophy Of Use: The idea of a “Smoke Pole” for prepping is simple, as simple as the guns themselves.

They give you one shot of extremely violent firepower for hunting & self preservation in a light, easily carried absolutely bombproof package that is so simple that virtually ANYBODY can use one.

These guns break down into a compact and light weight group of 3 parts, something easily stored in a truck or pack.

Additionally, they are easily convertible into other firearms by the use of “inserts” in the barrel. You can get inserts in all popular shotgun shell sizes, and you can get inserts in pistol and rifle calibers as well. These inserts vary in effectiveness depending upon their size, length, rifling (if applicable) and the sighting system of the firearm.

12 gauge to 20 gauge insert

The idea behind this gun, especially if you own inserts, is that you can easily carry a firearm that can shoot many different types of calibers (to varying degrees of effectiveness).

I personally only own two adapters, from 12 gauge down to 20 gauge, and 12 down to .410. I will discuss them in the shooting section of the review.

Design: As simple as can be. Break open at the breech of the barrel. Shell ejector pops the round lose. Generally they disassemble into 3 major pieces (give or take one screw).

Tale Of The Tape:

Here’s the specs on my 12 gauge H&R Topper (not pictured)

Stock: Wood, black
    Capacity: 1 shell
    Finish: Blued & stainless
    Barrel Length: 28”
    Overall Length: 43”
    Front Sight: Bead
    Rear Sight: Notch
    Weight: 5.52 LBS
    Choke: Modified

Ammunition: Any standard 12 gauge ammo

Shooting:

These guns kick like a bloody mule, but… you know… that’s rather comforting, kind of like an old friend punching you on the shoulder to say “hello, how are you?”

There’s really not much to say about a 12 gauge shotty, either you’ve shot one or you haven’t. However, I can talk a bit about the inserts because they are a bit different.

I have both the 20 gauge and .410 caliber inserts, and they both shoot great.

12 gauge to .410 caliber insert

In my H&R, the 20 gauge is, frankly, exactly the same as shooting a 20 gauge shell out of a 20 gauge single shot modified choke. There’s no difference whatever, which in my mind makes this a handy little “arsenal multiplier”.

12 gauge to 20 gauge insert

I find that the .410, however, behaves a bit differently… it has a larger dispersal pattern than if coming out of a .410 shotgun… it’s pretty much like shooting a .410 open bore, which is pretty fun since I don’t own one of those… making the insert another valuable “arsenal multiplier”.

I don’t own any of the pistol or rifle caliber inserts, but I am curious if any of you have shot them. If you have, please leave replies to this review.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Everybody has one of these guns (or, IMHO, if they don’t, they should) and there are definite survival uses for one, and they might be an option to consider in a GHB/BOB type situation where compactness is important.

They are not a self-defense weapon if you have ANY other option, since the one shot with slow reload is a bit 1862 for most people’s taste today… but you could use your one shot and then swing the shotty like a club…

Some survivalist guru’s go nuts over how good of a survival/prepping gun this is while others disregard it entirely. I fall somewhere in the middle… it has it’s place as a hunting gun, but there are far better choices for self defense.

---------------------------

Here are links of my other reviews:

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Henry AR-7 .22LR Semi-Auto Survival Rifle

Marlin X7 Bolt Action Rifle

The Ole Smoke Pole: Review & Discussion Of Single-Shot Shottys

Henry Golden Boy .22

Phoenix Arms HP22A

Chiappa 1911-22

Windham Weaponry M4 AR-15 SRC

Rock Island Armscor M200 .38 Special

Kel-tec PF9

Ruger American Rifle .22LR Bolt Action

ISSC .22LR Semi-Auto (Glock clone)

North American Arms .22 Magnum/22LR/L/S convertible w/holster grip

Nagant Revolver (just for fun)

Glock 26 as a CCW/BOB/GHB option

Crickett Kids Rifle For Training Younglings & As A BOB/GHB Option

Mossberg 702 Plinkster

Ye Ole .22 Single Shot

Ruger SR-22 Semi-Auto Pistol

Hi-Point C9 Semi Auto Pistol

Heritage Arms .22 Convertible Revolvers

Ruger LCR .357 and .22LR revolvers

Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 Gauge Shotgun

Ruger Mini-30

Cobra Small Derringer

Chiappa Little Badger Survival Rifle

Ye 'Ole .22 Single Shot Old Rifle
    Last edited by Salt-N-Pepper; 03-08-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    tks, bigwheel, Slippy and 2 others like this.

Nice little piece of writing, Salt-N-Pepper. Brings back a lot of memories of bird hunting in my youth. One of the first guns I purchased was a Winchester Model 37 single shot 12 ga. It got me a few doves in my day. Mostly it got me out into the woods with a lightweight, inexpensive gun.

Attachment 7934

The great thing about the single shot was its ability to break down. I used to break it down, put it in my backpack, and hike into the Allegheny National Forest and camp for 3 days in search of turkeys.

Attachment 7935

Thanks for reminding me to get the ol' smokepole out of the closet and oil her. It's one firearm that I will die owning.

The Good Cop

Oh, S&P, you are talking my language here. I have modern weapons for sure, but old shotguns and rifles float my boat.
    I have a J. Stevens 12 ga just like your picture, made some time in the 1930's (in 1937 J.Stevens was bought by Savage and became Stevens, without the J). I still shoot the old gal, she's a little loose but I have safely fired OO buck and slugs thru her. She's my stormy-night-chickens-raising-a fuss-gotta-check-it-out gun because with all the finish gone it doesn't matter if it gets wet.
    For a long time my barn yard defender was a New England Firearms Pardner 12 ga single. You are right, recoil is stout but I can attest when your adreneline is up and you fire a 3 inch #4 buck round at that critter after your chickens you never even feel it.
    I also have an H&R Topper Junior Classic 20 ga, and an NEF .410, which is my day time chore gun - I even put a sling on it so I could carry it and tools at the same time.
    But being hampered by just one shot has caused me to also expand into doubles, one 12 ga O/U, one 20 ga SXS, and one .410 SXS.
    I have a few pump guns, but since most often my shotguns are used after dark I can scan for beady predator eyes with a Maglight held in my off hand, and if needed the shotgun swings right up into place using my trigger hand and I can grip the fore end and Maglight at the same time. I can not, however, work the slide of a pump while holding the light, effectively making it a single shot anyway.
    I also have a scoped NEF Handi Rifle in 22 Hornet, and an iron sighted NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70. Both of these are single shot also.

There is nothing finer for me than woods walking with a 12 ga single shot in hand and a single action revolver and bowie knife on my belt. It puts me in touch with my ancestors.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 11-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here is and old LC Smith field grade double 12 that has been in my family for decades. Pre 1950 if I recall correctly. I have slain many critters with it. It has never let me or anyone that has used it down. Solid and reliable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salty's Gun Review: "Ole Smoke Pole", a discussion review about single shot shottys-uploadfromtaptalk1415814824165.jpg  

rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

The Good Cop

Beautiful, Arklatex. That shotgun has character, looks better to me than any brand new Mossberg 500.
    I like the double trigger, a lot of newer guns only have one.
    My two SXS's are both Stoeger Uplanders (20 & 410) and are double trigger. I like to keep birdshot in one barrel and buckshot in the other so I'm ready for anything from a small egg stealing possum to coyote, simply by pressing the propper trigger.

Man, I need to quit procrastinating and load the program disc that came with the camera I bought (5 years ago) into the computer so I can upload pics.
    You see, I also have an affliction that's worse than single shots - bolt action shotguns. One 1940 H&R Game Gun 16 gauge tube magazine fed, one 1941 Mossberg 85D detachable box magazine 20 ga, and a simply beautiful 1960's era Mossberg 183KE 410 repeater with C-Lect choke.

One other thing- fast reloads can be done with singles. Chuck an old bore brush in a variable speed drill and polish the chamber and when you break the action open it will sling the empty over your shoulder. Hold a couple rounds between the fingers of your off hand and without even removing the butt from your shoulder you can get off three or so aimed shots just as fast as a pump.
    I polish the chambers of all my break action shotguns like this, using mineral spirits as a lubricant.
    Arklatex likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

tks

Thanks for your reviews. I know how to shoot em, clean em, and load em, that's it. Your reviews are great, even for a novice like me. I've learned a lot. I'm totes showing this one to hubs, I think he has something similar to this in the closet.

I need an insert for my grand prize winning Ithica lever action single shot. What to insert and where to buy it is the key. Also how much is it? Thanks.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I need an insert for my grand prize winning Ithica lever action single shot. What to insert and where to buy it is the key. Also how much is it? Thanks.
    Ahhh! The Ithaca Model 66 Super Single?
    I had one in 20 ga, but didn't care for it because it only extracted, it didn't eject. I paid $20 for it to a coworker who wanted beer money. I traded it for the above mentioned H&R 16 ga bolt action.
    For inserts, MCACE in Alaska has been around a long time and gotten good reviews. MCA Sports: Chamber Adapters, Inserts and Cast Bullets, Our Home Page!
    bigwheel likes this.

Thanks por this thread. I'm breaking out the old single shot 20 ga. this weekend.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Where the ones pictured here came from... they are of good quality and came quickly after I ordered them.

NOTE: I don't know the manufacturer personally and have no business interest in their products whatever, I'm just a customer.

Shotgunadapter.com Home (CLICKY)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links