Grizzly bear takes shotgun blast at point-blank range and keeps charging. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Grizzly bear takes shotgun blast at point-blank range and keeps charging.

This is a discussion on Grizzly bear takes shotgun blast at point-blank range and keeps charging. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by dwight55 Thankfully . . . bears don't inhabit central Ohio . . . if they died . . . my M1A with ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Grizzly bear takes shotgun blast at point-blank range and keeps charging.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Thankfully . . . bears don't inhabit central Ohio . . . if they died . . . my M1A with a 20 round mag would be my "weapon of choice".

The 308 Winny round may not be the slickest bear round in the world . . . but I figure it'll do the job. Shotguns are more for two legged night time varmits or 4 legged night time varmits.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    The 7.62 NATO / .308 Winchester works much, much better against two legged varmints than the 5.56 NATO / .223 Remington.
    Light years better - one hit center mass and it's game over.

My Mini 14 is strictly for small nusiance animals around the homestead.
    Bigger animals need bigger projectiles.
    dwight55 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post

This is why I advise buckshot or slugs for defense against a bear. This bear was turned and flipped by the shot, but it was not stopped.
    She meant to kill that guy, and he was brave to stand his ground and shoot.
    Believe I would choose slugs for that job or leave the bear along would be a first choice.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Believe I would choose slugs for that job or leave the bear along would be a first choice.
    I would have to say she is one mean mama bear. Scary. We get black bear here in North Jersey, but my gracious not like that. Usually you just shout and clang some pots and pans and she's gone. They're after the trash or a bird feeder, that sort of thing.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Dwight, you hand load?

Might want to have a M14 magazine w/165gr Nosler partitions, ~41.5 gr 4195, handy. Loaded for bear.
    Actually . . . got out of reloading for a long time . . . got back in for handguns . . . got back out (my niece and her husband "had to have" my Hornady progressive) so I sold it to them and just got back in the game a few months back.

Spent the time to build an automatic case feeder . . . friend of mine and I are looking to put up a couple thousand 7.62x51 this fall . . . providing of course Antifa doesn't come along and we have to burn the ammo we have now . . . then we'll reload 5 thousand . . . or so.

But thanks for the recipe for the bear loads. I'd imagine they would be pretty fair for white tails as well.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

It says 'he aimed at her side.' Man, I'd have shot to kill.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It says 'he aimed at her side.' Man, I'd have shot to kill.
    Very cruel to wound an animal and let it get away to suffer.
    Annie and JustAnotherNut like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Very cruel to wound an animal and let it get away to suffer.
    Yes, I agree. I'm thinking he thought it was a kindness. Even so, nothing that big charging toward you from like 20 feet away deserves any kindness.

Hidden Content

So they knew it was a Mama bear with cubs......should have been the first clue to skedaddle back to the house, and no need to shoot, unless she's running faster than you.

He also needs a new dog that isn't going to run off when the master is in danger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links