a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. - Page 9
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

This is a discussion on a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Annie When applying for homeowners insurance I was asked twice if my dog was a pitbull... Take my word, they're not covered. ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    When applying for homeowners insurance I was asked twice if my dog was a pitbull... Take my word, they're not covered.
    I know. I wanted a smaller, less excitable, more portable dog. I was overruled.
    bigwheel likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I know. I wanted a smaller, less excitable, more portable dog. I was overruled.
    I understand their charm. I really do. If you're their person, they've got this winning personality. But they're high maintenance for sure. At least that was my experience.
    csi-tech likes this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

I have a 30 lbs furry chicken that barks when it hears something. That's good enough for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    When applying for homeowners insurance I was asked twice if my dog was a pitbull... Take my word, they're not covered.
    Feels your pain on that When we started buying at our little empty nester crib a decade or two back we had a nice 150 Pound Rot who was a proud member of the family. had all kinds of intrigue getting home owners insurance. Nobody would sell me any till I got rid of the pooch. Finally found a company that would called Germania. They love big dogs. We been faithful custumers for years. They are wonderful for car insurance too..especially if you let them cover both. They have a credit unoin which do not mind to finance high dollar sleds. lol.
    https://www.germaniainsurance.com/
    Annie likes this.

My last impulse purchase was a used Benelli Supernova Tactical. Gun was practically new with less than 100 shells run through it, I couldn't pass it up.
    bigwheel and phrogman like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by okey View Post
    find some solid cover, have a buddy stick out an 8" cardboard circle on a long stick, for 1-1.5 seconds, and then pull it back to cover, while you try to hit it, at a mere 35 yds, with slugs. you wont be hitting it with buckshot and a riot barrel, other than a 1 in 5 fluke. Try it for 5 shots. Most people are smarter than you. They'll be using cover, or be head on prone towards you, while wearing soft armor and a Kevlar helmet, neither of which your shotgun can pierce.

Put up 5 silohuettes, abreast in a line, 2m between each of the targets, at 25m, fire one rd of standard 9 pellet 00 buck at each, with a riot barrel. Do this REALLY fast, say in 2 seconds, from low ready to the 5th shot, as you'd need to do if you were to have a CHANCE of stopping 1 or more of them from firing back at you. Then go count the pellet- hits in the 10" chest circle. You'll be VERY underwhelmed. At that range, each pellet hits no harder than .38 lrn out of a snubby does( at 10 ft) So the 1-2 pellets that hit the vitals will absolutely NOT be likely to result in the "hittee" not being able to shoot back at you, maybe quite a large number of rds, actually. Your patterns wont be centered on the "man", just like they wont in combat. If you were the type to have that sort of skill, you'd be practicing with 30c each 223's, not $1 per rd buckshot and slugs Your inability/unwillingness to practice that much is why you rely on the buckshot pattern.

Sure, you can invest in a special tight choke, have all the pellets on the chest at 25m, but then they'll only be 3" wide at 10m, which is no real help at hitting. you'll not hit anything like that more than you'd hit with the rifle, and the rifle can be silenced and reach 3x as far as you can hope to do with 12 ga slugs. The 223 auto can have a .22lr conversion unit, for quiet foraging, indoor range use, 6c per shot practice, handling most shtf challenges (ie, head shots in the dark) using 60 gr subsonic Aquila .22 subsonic ammo. The parts swap between calibers takes just 10 seconds. The unit weighs just 3/4 lb, costs $300, fits in the thigh pocket of cammies. and it will group 2" at 50 yds or better and impact within 2" of the 223's POI at that distance, too. That's plenty good enough. for snapshooting training and slowfire hunting/sentry removal. . You can just "hold off" the amount needed to get the hit for a precision sort of shot. there's also a way to have both the 223 and the .22lr ammo zeroed to the sights, since you've got 2 wings on the rear sight.

So you can hit a dove on the wing with the 12 ga, so what? you get 2 ozs of meat, while calling in your killers and then you can't even handle them if all they's got is .22 rifles and know to use cover from 100 yds. I've taken literally thousands of birds with .22lr rifles and pistols. They all land and you'd need a scores of tjhem per day in order for them to feed you adequately, or you'd need several each ducks/pheasants, or an entire goose. The ducks and geese have some fat, so you MIGHT get 1000 calories per lb, but the amount of meat needed just doesn't justify the bulk, weight, expense, and noise, flash at night, lack of takedown concealment, lack of a chromed bore and chamber, lack of luminous sights, lack of ability to be used worth a hoot with just one hand. The pump gun is a real pita to use from the prone firing position, and is very prone to being short-stroked when the user is under lethal stress.
    Well lets talk about just how stupid it is to have a machete...makes a terrible carving knife....doesn't cut your steak well. unwieldy in tight quarters. not nearly as good of a throwing knife as most others are. Balance is all off.

See when you compare apples and oranges....its easy to hit the pros and cons that you want.....but it doesn't lessen the argument that a person should eat fruits and veggies....

You sir, are making an apples and oranges comparison....but if your going to have one SHTF gun....have it be one that suits YOUR needs, not someone else's.
    inceptor likes this.

I strongly believe that a good shotgun should be considered for anyone’s arsenal. With different loads, barrels, and on some shotguns chokes, it can be used to take any game in North America. Although possible to take pheasants, geese, and ducks with a rifle, most people would have better luck with a shotgun. It can also be used for self defense. I own several shotguns and in addition to their long barrels own a smooth bore 20” slug barrel and a rifled barrel for shooting sabot rounds for longer distances.

I have different firearms for most situations that I can think of, including shotguns. If someone could only own one firearm I would not criticize them if they chose a shotgun, especially if they lived in an area where because of trees/brush was heavy enough that in most cases their visibility was limited. Yes, there are disadvantages to shotguns including limited range and the weight of the ammunition, there are advantages to owning one because of their versatility. One last thought, I believe that some people focus entirely on self defense and ignore hunting for putting food on the table. Personally I try to cover both.
    Suck it up buttercup.

The right tool for the right job. Shotguns are among the many tools I have at my disposal.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

How about a ML at 900m with open sights?

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.-gibbs.png

Honestly my shotgun is the go-to home defender. Should we have to fall back, regroup and up-arm there are battle rifles and so forth. I really want an Mp-5. I still think the little subgun is the perfect CQB weapon. Rifled slug at 30 yards? all day long in a paper plate.
    Last edited by csi-tech; 08-26-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links