a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

This is a discussion on a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have both a 12 and 20 870, keep the 20 handy in the house, the wife is on the small size, 20 is easier ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

I have both a 12 and 20 870, keep the 20 handy in the house, the wife is on the small size, 20 is easier for her to handle. Under 10 yards I don't think the BG will know the difference.
    MisterMills357 likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

I can say this about the young man that started this thread, he has never had or used a firearm in his life, Now I have, and have had, many different firearms in my life and was a weapons expert in Vietnam in the Army. I do know a little about firearms and I do know that a 12 gauge shotgun will kill you graveyard dead at 100 yards with just a 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. This young man needs to get better acquainted with life and firearms. But, hey, just my opinion.
    rice paddy daddy and RedLion like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
    I can say this about the young man that started this thread, he has never had or used a firearm in his life, Now I have, and have had, many different firearms in my life and was a weapons expert in Vietnam in the Army. I do know a little about firearms and I do know that a 12 gauge shotgun will kill you graveyard dead at 100 yards with just a 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. This young man needs to get better acquainted with life and firearms. But, hey, just my opinion.
    okey was a moron. He was more into starting than anything else. That's why he was banned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I read an article not long ago, . . . it talked about the guns of the old west.

Most of us think in terms of the 45-70 or the .45 Scofield, or the .45 Colt being the "weapon that won the West".

The author apparently had done some serious research, . . . turns out the 12 gauge shotgun did more than the other 3 put together.

Made sense to me.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    inceptor and Smitty901 like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Another big advantage to shot gun is reloading . It is so darn easy to reload shot gun shells and you can be very creative with them.
    inceptor likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I’m looking for a used 590A1 right now.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’m looking for a used 590A1 right now.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...ction-shotguns

I want something smaller.
    Have mercy on me a sinner.

Don't Dick Around; Best Of Both Worlds.

I am not a gun person other than now I have been trained. I can't argue which gun is better than another. I can only tell you what our survival retreat has set up in way of defense.

Gate guards will have ARs. They will also have spare shotguns in event of a jam.
    They will be protected 30 feet from the gate with intruders penned in like a line of ducks, with no cover.

Gatewhacker. One foot on our side of the gate is a football tackeling machine, 15 feet wide with 5 uprisers with their pads removed.
    (You can fabricate one out of pipes). Each upriser has a 12 gauge shot gun alarm on it. The round is pointed horizontally and has a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe slid over the shell. The pipe is two inchs longer than the round. We are using #8 birdshot. A pull string runs underground in PVC pipe and one pull fires all five rounds through the 15 foot gate. The gate has a camo tarp hanging over it. The same pullcord automatically drops the tarp when the Gatewhacker has been fired. It also activates two high beam 12 volt lights mounted in trees, blinding the intruders.
    We have a second volley of 5 more alarms loaded with Buckshot.

The pull cord has a loop (washer) in it draped over a nail. The guard must first pull a cord removing the nail (on the Gatewhacker) before he fires that Gatewhacker volley.
    The alarms are $30 each.

I am guessing that a shotgun or AR costs around $300. The ten alarms cost us $300, but they will be pretty much arms-length shots hitting most of the intruders.

Safe Haven for Intruders. If the guards are overwhelmed, they will fall back to coral the intruders in a bare field. There is only one defensive position there for the intruders, a horseshoe shaped mound of dirt.
    That position will be about 60 feet from the three guard firing positions ringing it from three sides.
    Intruders will rush there after a bull horn orders the gate guards to "Retreat to George's house while we load the truck with the food and escape out the back."

Did I mention that the dirt mound is actually a hollow built up platform/frame covered by metal screen wire covered in a thin layer of dirt?

After all this has been utilized then we can argue about the best gun to have!
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Jim! Assuming you are truthful:
    You have given us your name and your location in Florida. Now you are broadcasting to the public the details of your group’s defensive measures. From this data any competent internet geek can probably gather a whole lot of info on you and yours, and probably your retreat property. Did you ever hear of OPSEC?
    inceptor and Slippy like this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Jim! Assuming you are truthful:
    You have given us your name and your location in Florida. Now you are broadcasting to the public the details of your group’s defensive measures. From this data any competent internet geek can probably gather a whole lot of info on you and yours, and probably your retreat property. Did you ever hear of OPSEC?
    Agree

inceptor likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links