a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

This is a discussion on a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Shotguns are very useful weapons. Small game, big game, and fine man eaters. OK, they may be wearing armor. Aim for the groin. You catch ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

Shotguns are very useful weapons. Small game, big game, and fine man eaters. OK, they may be wearing armor. Aim for the groin. You catch a load of buckshot in the pelvis, lower abdomen, and thighs you won't think about continuing a fight.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Quote Originally Posted by keith9365 View Post
    Shotguns are very useful weapons. Small game, big game, and fine man eaters. OK, they may be wearing armor. Aim for the groin. You catch a load of buckshot in the pelvis, lower abdomen, and thighs you won't think about continuing a fight.
    Good point! They will move much more slowly and thoughtfully if walking is an issue.
    StratMaster likes this.

The Good Cop

We live on a farm in a rural area.
    Shotguns are a valuable tool, as are a Mini 14 for varmints and a 30-06 for serious work.

At the head of the bed, in case I have to boogie quickly out to the hen house at 2:00 AM, is a 20 ga SXS double barrel with a 3" #5 turkey load in one tube and a 3" #2 buck in the other.
    Just inside the bedroom closet door is an Ithaca DS Police Special full of OO buck, a Remington 870 loaded with turkey loads, and a Stevens 67E full of #4 & #6 birdshot.

Then I've go my fun guns, my woods walking guns - single shots and bolt actions in .410, 20 ga, 16 ga, 12 ga.

I pity the guy who only has one shotgun. What fun is that?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Preparedness hit me within the last ten years as the opportunity to retire (mostly) at a healthy young age came upon me. I lived in a condo in the waterfront area of San Francisco. I inherited a 1911 used in WWII and a duck hunting Benelli shotgun my dad had hunted with and had just passed away. That shotgun made me feel a whole lot safer than that 1911 I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with.
    StratMaster, Denton, Robie and 1 others like this.

I can't remember if I posted in this troll thread before, but I will just say shotguns are awesome tools which can be used awesomely. There are other tools that are better at other things, but if I were limited to one gun for the rest of my life, it would be a shotgun.

An aside....for those people who think the shotgun is an across the room distance only weapon, go buy a shotgun if you don't own one, buy slugs, buckshot, game loads ...and start practicing. It will do much more than you think!
    Camel923 likes this.

Like anything else, the right tool for the right job. Shotguns have their place. I have several that would come into play under a few different scenarios, particularly in home protection.
    Camel923, inceptor and Smitty901 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    We live on a farm in a rural area.
    Shotguns are a valuable tool, as are a Mini 14 for varmints and a 30-06 for serious work.
    I long for the day Ruger makes a Mini 14 that will take a PMAG
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    1 Peter 2:24 KJV
    Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiverGeorge View Post
    I long for the day Ruger makes a Mini 14 that will take a PMAG
    I've got two factory 20 rounders, and one factory 5 rounder. That's all I really need.
    The 5 rounder is the best - it fits flush with the stock, and that is right where you naturally want to grasp the rifle while taking a stroll in the woods.
    I put a sling on it as a shooting aid, not as a carry strap.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I do the same, 5 rounder for the m1a NM and that's why I like the sks also, just easier to handle without a big honking mag that you won't need stomping thru the woods anyway.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Shot gun is flexible. So much it can do. Hunters been killing deer with good slugs at 100-120 yard for years around here. Shot guns have put a lot of food on the table. If they can do that they can put BG down. No one weapon fills every need .
    There will always be a shot in the corner around here.
    Most people defending what is theirs will never take a shot over 100 yards if that far.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links