a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. - Page 10
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

This is a discussion on a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader. within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Why don't one of those shotgun haters come stand out in front of one and put their life on the line. A little ballistic test ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.

Why don't one of those shotgun haters come stand out in front of one and put their life on the line. A little ballistic test will end the argument one way or the other. C'mon boyz put up or shut up. Take your chances at see if that buck shot is really that ineffective.

Yeah that's what I thought.
    Last edited by Chipper; 08-26-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    csi-tech and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Why don't one of those shotgun haters come stand out in front of one and put their life on the line. A little ballistic test will end the argument one way or the other. C'mon boyz put up or shut up. Take your chances at see if that buck shot is really that ineffective.

Yeah that's what I thought.
    True story. Back in the early 70's, my best friend bought a motorcycle from a finance company. He got a hell of a deal on this because he had to repo it. As he was riding away on the bike, the guy shot him with a shotgun. My friend was far enough away that he only caught some of the buckshot. He went to the ER and they told him there was nothing they could do for him. The buckshot was scattered across his back and legs. They said eventually the shot will work it's way out.

For a long time afterwards my friend would be walking across the room and, at times, you would hear a BB bounce across the floor. It was several years before we quit hearing the BB's.
    bigwheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    True story. Back in the early 70's, my best friend bought a motorcycle from a finance company. He got a hell of a deal on this because he had to repo it. As he was riding away on the bike, the guy shot him with a shotgun. My friend was far enough away that he only caught some of the buckshot. He went to the ER and they told him there was nothing they could do for him. The buckshot was scattered across his back and legs. They said eventually the shot will work it's way out.

For a long time afterwards my friend would be walking across the room and, at times, you would hear a BB bounce across the floor. It was several years before we quit hearing the BB's.
    Sure it was not birdshot? OO buck is ~0.33 caliber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Sure it was not birdshot? OO buck is ~0.33 caliber.
    It was birdshot. I didn't realize that I didn't state it that way until you brought it up.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    It was birdshot. I didn't realize that I didn't state it that way until you brought it up.
    That is what I suspected.

What people don't realize is that even though a shotgun spreads out buckshot at range, a OO pellet will kill you at 100yds if it hits a vital.

I had a good friend who deer hunted swamps with an A5 Belgian Browning w/xfull choke, a 60-70yard away deer usually didn't get out of the swamp alive. At that range his groups were pie plate size. And it would have been tough to take with a rifle.

P.S. my friends, or any 12ga puts out 15 OO buck/0.33 cal pellets per shot, 3" loads. With an Auto 5 that is 75 OO bucks in about 2-3 seconds. It an be reloaded in about the same time.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 08-27-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

Another thought on shotguns.

I used to deer hunt in a state that was bow, ML, or shotgun only. For shotgun I used an old M37 Ithaca deerslayer w/26" slug barrel, not rifled, w/1 oz foster slugs. I have double lunged deer out to 90 paces. A 1 oz slug leaves a hole you can nearly see through.

I moved on to traditional ML for deer in that state. A .54 PRB from a rifle gives a pass through on deer to > 125 yds, as far as most shots and as far as I like to shoot with opens.

Here is a 5 shot group from a traditional .50 at 50 yds with opens shooting a 375 gr conical. Lyman book said load should be ~ 1400 fps.

a shotgun is a sucker's choice of a shtf longarm, almost as bad as a muzzleloader.-50cal50yds5shts.jpg

There are guys out west, shooting deer/elk/pronghorns with similar loads in traditional .45/.50 MLers, based on TC Hawkens, at 300 yds with open/peep sights.

There are truly long range traditional MLers that hit things at 1000 yds, w/open sights. Gibbs and Whitworth repros.
    Slippy likes this.

The OP was banned on another site in short order. What a wing nut

I have a TON of experience with the 12 gauge platform. buckshot is lethal. I prefer 00 buck at 25 yards and in. A rifled slug at 100 yards with a riot shotgun is doable every time with a bead sight. You just have to know your gun. Ghost rings are better.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I have a TON of experience with the 12 gauge platform. buckshot is lethal. I prefer 00 buck at 25 yards and in. A rifled slug at 100 yards with a riot shotgun is doable every time with a bead sight. You just have to know your gun. Ghost rings are better.
    About a decade ago I picked up an Ithaca Model 37 DS Featherweight Police Special for $300.
    This is a rifle sighted, 12 ga, 18" barrel, open choke sweetheart. Commonly called a "riot gun".
    Right now she's loaded with 3 OO buck followed by 2 one oz slugs.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Oh yeah. My single shot full choke 12 gauge killed a coyote at 40 yards with number 9 low base low bid skeet loads. Dont make me show pics of the flock of dead winter turkeys. Anyway I personally shot a .12 slug into the trunk of a full sized car at eye level and saw where it came out through the front grill. Dont think it went through the engine prob just bent around. Could not check cause it was a inoperative car used for shooting drills. Shotguns are dangerous. lol. Not to enough mention my old neighbor up in Wilbarger county who took a pretty close dose of birdwhot to his face by one of his careless pals. He had bbs in his lips for a long time and embedded in his gunstock forever. He was not a happy camper. Or a dear old state Trooper who took a real close dose of birdshot to the chest while dove hunting with his young son. They say he ran for a bit then keeled over dead. Sure that kid still feels like an a-hole over that.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 08-27-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Sponsored Links