Red Dot AR sight - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Red Dot AR sight

This is a discussion on Red Dot AR sight within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by trail999blazer I just bought a Vortex spitfire. It was on clearance at cabelas for half off. I sighted it in for 25 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Red Dot AR sight

Quote Originally Posted by trail999blazer View Post
    I just bought a Vortex spitfire. It was on clearance at cabelas for half off. I sighted it in for 25 yards today. So far I'm loving the thing. A few quick adjustments and 5 shots = one ragged hole. I'll sight it in at 50 yards later. I took my daughter out for her first time shooting her first rifle and we just used the same target.
    I sight all my ARs with optics in for a 100 yard point of aim-point of impact. Sight in at 25 yards with the group being 1.5 inches low. That will be point of aim point of impact at 100 yards. Iron sights I sight point of aim point of impact at 25 yards. At 100 yards, you aim below the target. The target should look like a lollipop on top of the front sight post.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Those type hand guards move to much for effective sight mounts. The mounts are for lights and other tools but nit sights or scopes.
    Good to know they're a bit loose. I'll keep that in mind if I ever think about using them.
    The one I installed mates to the receiver tight, and doesn't move a fraction, so mine can sustain proper zero.
    What is your plan if the batteries fail?
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Good to know they're a bit loose. I'll keep that in mind if I ever think about using them.
    The one I installed mates to the receiver tight, and doesn't move a fraction, so mine can sustain proper zero.
    What is your plan if the batteries fail?
    I have plenty of other options to use. This Ar was assembled using lowcost not cheap parts for something to do. It not a one and only. They only rails/hand-guards fit for mounting sights are ones that remove the snap ring and either mount to the barrel nut or replace the barrel nut. Most are free float type but there are some that hard mount to the barrel also.
    The greater the distance between front and rear sight the more accurate they will be. This is often over looked with what we no call an AR's . A reason I like 15 inch rails. Some may not want to hear it but Iron is not the first choice anymore. Those days are long over . Good reflex, Red dot rule the day. Yes back up iron and knowing how to use them is important and every shooter should start out on iron. Most of the time I find that flip ups are the way to go for me . with primary being a Red Dot or good scope, different tools for different work.
    Setting co-witness up for lower 1/3 also has advantages, but in the end just comes down to personal choice.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-29-2018 at 04:53 AM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've really been liking the PA/Holosun with the ACSS reticle. It's an off-shore manufacture, but it's every bit as solid as my T1 at just about 1/3 the price. The ACSS chevron essentially gives you a zero-MOA point with windage, elevation and ranging features. The 65MOA horseshoe makes it nice for CQB or Shotgun applications. A 3x fold-over easily puts you out to 300 meters. 50,000 hour battery life with motion activated auto-on is good for lazy folks like me I've got four of them now and have nothing but good things to say about 'em

Last edited by whoppo; 01-29-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I've really been liking the PA/Holosun with the ACSS reticle. It's an off-shore manufacture, but it's every bit as solid as my T1 at just about 1/3 the price. The ACSS chevron essentially gives you a zero-MOA point with windage, elevation and ranging features. The 65MOA horseshoe makes it nice for CQB or Shotgun applications. A 3x fold-over easily puts you out to 300 meters. 50,000 hour battery life with motion activated auto-on is good for lazy folks like me I've got four of them now and have nothing but good things to say about 'em

Good to see some WINDHAM support

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Good to see some WINDHAM support
    WW, formerly REAL Bushmaster, is only 45 minutes from my house. Around here you can hardly swing a dead raccoon without hitting a Windham owner
    Smitty901 likes this.
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on one of my ARs and it has worked great for a few years now. It holds zero and battery life is good. I have wanted an ACOG for a long time but I could never get myself to fork over the cash so I started looking at the Aimpoint PRO because they are better priced but still I can't get myself to do it. I recently bought a Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot because it was on sale for about $140 or somewhere around there. I sighted in yesterday and it worked great. We will see how it holds up over time. By the way, I have back up irons on both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    WW, formerly REAL Bushmaster, is only 45 minutes from my house. Around here you can hardly swing a dead raccoon without hitting a Windham owner
    I am am up on the Windham/Bushmaster history . The Bushmaster brand was built by Windham. Then cheapened after the buy out.

posted twice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Dot AR sight-100_2332.jpg  

Last edited by Smitty901; 01-30-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: 2x

Arrived a day early, along with a couple other parts. The Vortex crossfire Has mounts for both low and 1/3 Co-witness. Mounted it with 1/3 mount for now. Zeroed in the house. It is 18 degrees out right now. 25 check on paper few adjustments and back to 50 yards.
    Good to go backed up to 100 yards good. Target was a 2 1/2 inch black spot on a bright sun day. Set on 6 at 50 yards and 8 at 100 yards. Every round well with in the circle. If it holds up , and I see no reason it won't. Heck of a value at $129 in your hand.
    I would not lose a bit of sleep had I paid a closer to $200 with shipping had it not been a sale. Red Dot is about rounds center-mass fast and often. The Crossfire will do. I burnt up 30 more rounds, doing a little reflex fire from different angles and ranges.
    Found it to be up to the task. It will go on the other one I need to finish for some more test . With sight no mag 6 pounds 7 oz not bad. At that price I will pick up another Crossfire.
    Red Dot AR sight-100_2332.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links