Multi-purpose sites
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Multi-purpose sites

This is a discussion on Multi-purpose sites within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have a low budget .45 cal hi-point carbine. It is perfect for me because: 1. It was cheap 2. It can serve a self ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Multi-purpose sites

Multi-purpose sites

I have a low budget .45 cal hi-point carbine. It is perfect for me because:
    1. It was cheap
    2. It can serve a self defense purpose
    3. I can use it deer hunting in Ohio (infrequent just to learn)
    4. I got a cheap .45 pistol to match. Same ammo, magazines.

I love it. Fun to shoot and meets all of my needs perfectly. Have some other stuff too but letís focus here for now.

Now my thought/question. I have the scope shown here.

Most of my time is at indoor range and I have laser, scope, and reticle all set the same. Now Iím thinking about setting my scope out as far as this thing will go (maybe 75 or 80 yards). Then set reticle and laser up for short range self defense situations at like 20 yards or less.

All sites have windage and distance adjustments but Iím kind of thinking of zeroing like this. Any one do it? Any other strategies to share?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RedLion and Stockton like this.

Super Moderator

I use the iron sites of the Hi-Point .45 carbine. I don't figure using it past 50 yards. There are better deer hunting rifles, and they don't have to be expensive.
    RedLion likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

First off, welcome! I might have missed your intro thread, so I wanted to extend the welcome here.

Second, that's not a bad carbine. If you know what it is, and what to expect from it, it will serve you well.
    One of those things I'm not sure you should expect from it is hunting deer.
    *Can* a .45 slug take a deer? Yes.
    Can it take a deer when being shot by someone who's "learning"? Not likely.
    Oh, the deer may die, but it will have run 1-200 yards away, crawled into a thicket, and will never be found.
    The .45ACP is a man-stopper, not a hunting round.
    Any low end, small caliber, rifle will out-perform a .45ACP in ballistics. .223, .243, .270... these are all going to take a deer much more effectively than a handgun round. Yeah, I know people hunt with handguns... but they're not "learning".
    As @Denton said, a good dedicated hunting rifle will serve you far better in this regard, and can be had on the cheap if you have a keen eye.

Third, a carbine's strength is its close range effectiveness. For all intents and purposes, it's a rifle length barrel on a handgun. That affords you much better close-quarters ballistics and aiming over just a handgun. I would not consider sighting a carbine in at anything over 50 yards. Yes it can make the shot, but we have to keep in mind what I mentioned earlier... know what it is, and what to expect from it, and it will serve you well. If you start to extend those expectations, you may lose effectiveness, and then lose confidence in the gun.

Just my opinions. Give them no more consideration than they deserve. Have fun with that gun, and keep practicing.
    RedLion and Denton like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Since you have 3 different sighting systems, you should have one zeroed for longer range. Also, .45 ACP is not the best round for hunting whitetail unless it is those "baby" ones down south. Consider adding another rifle or shotgun to your stable for hunting. I guarantee that you can buy a used 870 for little, but it would serve you very well in hunting whitetail.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Since you have 3 different sighting systems, you should have one zeroed for longer range. Also, .45 ACP is not the best round for hunting whitetail unless it is those "baby" ones down south. Consider adding another rifle or shotgun to your stable for hunting. I guarantee that you can buy a used 870 for little, but it would serve you very well in hunting whitetail.
    I wouldn't use the .45 for our deer, either. Were I to use a handgun round for deer, it'd be a magnum.
    bigwheel, rstanek and RedLion like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I wouldn't use the .45 for our deer, either. Were I to use a handgun round for deer, it'd be a magnum.
    .45 is for shooting communists lefties. .357 and .44 mag will do the job.
    Denton, bigwheel and SOCOM42 like this.

Nice looking optics. Did that cost more than the gun?
    Denton likes this.

Budget is an issue to me as well. I opted for a 1911 45 acp for my handgun, first, and am
    glad I got the 22 LR conversion kit. I have shot a lot more of the 22LR then the 45. I
    never heard anything good about the hi point rifles. I'd love to afford that KRISS firearm
    which many gave good reviews. But its out of my budget. However I budget and as
    my savings grow I think a gun like the KRISS is next. If CA doesn't ban it first.
    Denton and RedLion like this.

Had to googling on that. Looks very cool.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISS_Vector

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    .45 is for shooting communists lefties. .357 and .44 mag will do the job.
    The .357 and 44 Mag will work well on commie bastards also.
    RedLion and Camel923 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links