Do you have a handgun Caliber Carbine....
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Do you have a handgun Caliber Carbine.... within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Im just kind of curious....How many folks here see and have a value for a handgun caliber Carbine in your collection from a prepping standpoint ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Do you have a handgun Caliber Carbine....

Im just kind of curious....How many folks here see and have a value for a handgun caliber Carbine in your collection from a prepping standpoint if TSHTF situation? If you do what did you choose and why did you choose that combination?
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Hi-Point in .45 ACP. Figure blasting away in the neighborhood with the AR-10 or M1A might not be the best idea.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Do you count a .22 other than that no.
    Denton likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

S&W 357, no cross bolt safety Marlin 1894 carbine in 357.
    Have 10 K in JHP for them.

I want one that fires 9mm. Under controlled condition I did hit a man size target at 100Yards with a 9mm mid size auto. I would enjoy trying it with a 9mm carbine. I am sure the hold point won't be as high.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I do! I see a lot of value for doing so as well although I havent always thought that way in the past. Part of the reason for me evolving, if you will, was a result of Sandy Hook shooting and the resulting ammo shortage that resulted afterwards for about the next 12 months!!!

What I got...

I already had a Taurus PT-99 in 9mm. Even though I have some other hand guns in other calibers, I choose to pair that gun up with the Hi-Point 995 TS-FG. I didnt choose that model because its Tacticool, but I did like the fact that it was the most practical and cost efficient fire arm of the type I was looking for.

Why did I choose it?

It was the perfect canidate for the task at hand and it was at a very budget friendly price, that I just couldnt see how I could beat it choosing something else. Yeah I would have gotten a dedicated AR in 9mm if money was no object but I am a working class stiff not Cake Daddy War Bucks! Its a pretty robust although a bit heavy and bulky Ill admit. But like a Timex watch, its capable of taking a licking and keep on ticking so to speak. It had some fairly well protected sights that while not the best they are minute of pie plate capable at 50 yards plus. It had the ability to use a optic mount. The down side to that is the plastic stock they have it in is so flexible mounting anything other than a light weight Red Dot is kind of pointless as it will flex a lot even under the mild recoil to do any precise work. Thats cool cause I didnt need it to be all that accurate...it just needed to be minute of man and accurate enough to bust a bunny in the noggin'. Yeah it would have been cool if it took the same mags as my Taurus PT-99 or better yet a Glock 33 rounder but I figure the supplied 2 10 round mags will adequately pick up the check if need be. Yeah its a pain to break down and clean but they dont recommend that until about 2500 rounds according to the manuel it included...not that I would neglect it that badly by any stretch. Unlike other alternatives I have found it will digest any standard spec 9mm load all day long 8 days a week. Now thats a feature I like. With its preferred ammo its actually no joke out to 50 yards!!! The price was right at 299 in fun dollars out the door after your govenor and mines was added to the sale price. The pistol grip on the forend wasnt needed but I guess it kinda of comes in handy at times. Its made in 'Merica and has a life time warrenty, although I cant see ever needed to test that theory as robust as it is!

Why did I get it...its neither beast nor fowl, so what was the point?

Well trying to find 22 rim fire ammo until about the last 12 months was like searching for the holy grail. When you did find it, they were pretty proud of it and you didnt have much in the way of choice and had best buy what you could at what ever price you could. When you could find it locally they usually has a box restriction on how much you could buy to make it available to the widest number of customers and to try and put the brakes on the shortage and the scalpers buying it all up and raping you for a box on line. Yeah I had a lot of 22 rim fire on hand, more than the law should probably allow and no I got it all before the Sandy Hook Shooting so no I wasnt hording it so you couldnt buy any and no I wasnt about to let a round go under the circumstances or gouge someone on the price...I certianly could have and came out like a fat cat though... I was shooting reduced loads from a 223 and getting 22 LR or WRM velocities depending on how much powder I filled the case with. I wanted something a little more practical and a little cheaper. My answer the 9mm! I had a ton of it already in commercial loads and a gazillion rounds loaded and enough materials to load a whole lot more than that without buying more components to do so. I also wanted something that could be used for self defense or small game or pest control, something the 9mm is more versitile at than even the best 22 LR is. I also wanted something that could use lead RN or +P HP's too! It had to be something economical to reload as well and the 9mm is very tough to beat in that respect! No the 9mm is not my first choice in self defense rounds, got other guns that do that better, at least I think they do it better. That was just my first handgun that I had that I had a lot of ammo for shortly before I retired and went to the 45 ACP in a post High Capacity Magazine ban kind of 'Merica! With lead RN at modest speeds, its a bunny buster for sure (without blowing them to pieces in the process) and will make short work out of vermin visiting the chicken coop for late night take out so to speak. With +P ammo it will still reach out to 50 yards with enough gas in the tank to make a bad guy have a very bad day, in fact its surprisingly good at about 75-100 yards! We have no Bears here r I would have likely got a 44 Mag Lever Gun instead. Basically I just found it almost perfect for everything I wanted a carbine for...especially at the price I was willing to pay!
    Denton, diamondjim and ttrm007 like this.

I have not. I see minimal gain in obtaining one for my particular situation. I can see where it may be helpful to someone else. JMHO.
    Last edited by Camel923; 11-28-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Denton likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Do you count a .22 other than that no.
    No, I dont although it could be. I dont becuase it took 22 rim fire ammo about 3 years to come back to market after sandy hook and it did so at considerably elevated prices to the point it wasnt far off what it cost to by center fire ammo! Plus you cant reloaded it so when your out, your out! You cant reload it really without it being a major PITA.

i have a enforcer in .30 carbine. pretty bad a$$ , but has its limits
    LunaticFringeInc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    I have not. I see minimal gain in obtaining one for my particular situation. I can see where it may be helpful to someone else. JMHO.
    I can certainly respect that Bro'. Life is often full of comprimises and this was just one for me although a fairly small one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links