10/22 takedown experience
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on 10/22 takedown experience within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Hello all. I attended an APPLESEED event today and used my 10/22 takedown. I have never used a sling with this rifle before and had ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chiefster23
  • 1 Post By Chipper
  • 3 Post By Chiefster23

Thread: 10/22 takedown experience

Hello all. I attended an APPLESEED event today and used my 10/22 takedown. I have never used a sling with this rifle before and had no issues with the gun. Appleseed teaches shooting using a GI type sling. My experiences today show that correct use of the sling causes the barrel to flex causing stray hits. Unless you have perfectly consistant tension on the sling, it becomes impossible to zero the scope. So be warned. Using a sling with this gun will probably cause you problems with accuracy.
    Camel923 likes this.

Good information @Chiefster23 .
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Proper use of the sling will make you a better shot. It takes training and time. Grass drills anyone.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What another problem with a Ruger??
    Camel923 likes this.

@Smitty . Absolutely! I learned yesterday that sling use will greatly improve my shooting. And I plan on practicing this method more. But not with a takedown rifle. I did a web search and found that others had this same problem. I bought the takedown to keep in the vehicle. I was employed 50 miles away from home and I liked the idea of a compact gun in a backpack. If forced to walk home I would be armed with a rifle but not draw attention...... just a guy with a brown pack. The takedown model is perfect for this application. But not for sling shooting. But that's OK. Now I have an excuse to buy another gun! Just rying to decide if I want to buy an off-the-shelf 10/22 or build a fancy exotic target rifle.
    Slippy, Camel923 and Smitty901 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    @Smitty . Absolutely! I learned yesterday that sling use will greatly improve my shooting. And I plan on practicing this method more. But not with a takedown rifle. I did a web search and found that others had this same problem. I bought the takedown to keep in the vehicle. I was employed 50 miles away from home and I liked the idea of a compact gun in a backpack. If forced to walk home I would be armed with a rifle but not draw attention...... just a guy with a brown pack. The takedown model is perfect for this application. But not for sling shooting. But that's OK. Now I have an excuse to buy another gun! Just rying to decide if I want to buy an off-the-shelf 10/22 or build a fancy exotic target rifle.
    This looks interesting for a 10/22 for back pack carry.
    https://www.magpul.com/products/x-22...-10-22-takedow

There is only one excuse to buy another gun. You just say because I wanted it. Anything else someone can argue with . Because I wanted it closes the conversation. Same applies for motorcycles, bass boat, ATV's jeeps, truck...
    For the most part done buying new ones . To many years for piling them up, no regrets .Already handing many over to Children they can clean and care for them.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    What another problem with a Ruger??
    Pfft .....
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I don't really consider this to be a problem with the Ruger. This is a problem because I tried to make the gun do something it wasn't designed to do. My own dumb fault. In retrospect, common sense says if I take a two piece rifle and pull sideways on the forward sling mount, the point of impact will change. The problem is compounded because the scope is mounted on the receiver, which isn't stressed by the sling. The scope aims in one direction while
    I pull the barrel in another. I'm using the wrong tool for the job. My fault.

In any even, I just wanted to pass along some info I stumbled across. Probably very few here will ever try sling shooting with a 10/22 takedown. Just figured I would post my experiences to maybe prevent someone from having the same problems. Everone, have a good holliday!

Thanks for the heads up on that angle. Ive had two 1022s over the years. Shot the first one quite a bit and never considered it very accurate. Too short and back heavy and crappy sights. Worked good. Never got around to shooting the other one..since I traded it off to my Brother for a Marlin SS. Aint shot it but once. He says its real accurate.

Sponsored Links