Made room for one
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Made room for one

This is a discussion on Made room for one within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; So I decided on no sidearm and just sticking with a rifle. I wanted to get the ruger 10/22 takedown (price) but then wondered if ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Made room for one

Made room for one

So I decided on no sidearm and just sticking with a rifle. I wanted to get the ruger 10/22 takedown (price) but then wondered if a 22 was even effective if it came down to protection from someone else or a large predator (in my bug out situation/location would be either a bear, mountain lion, bobcat). Even though it is more that I want to spend, my eye caught a bushmaster xm-15 m4-a3. Could somone show me a picture comparison of a 5.56 round next to a 22? And also any opinions on the decision or even personal experience with one of the rifles would be greatly appreciated.
    Denton likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

For the money, get an SKS.

10/22 are great for defense in my opinion. hardly any muzzle rise or recoil. allows for tight groups and quick follow up shots on target. and you can carry 1000 rnds in your pocket.
    downside is they are only effective to 150yrds id say. and as far as bears....not so good.
    ar 15 is a great choice for defense and wildlife. you can take game if you had to with a well placed shot and the right ammo. and its range with the right ammo will go 600 + yards. you can build one for about $600.
    just my 2 cents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by adapt619 View Post
    So I decided on no sidearm and just sticking with a rifle. I wanted to get the ruger 10/22 takedown (price) but then wondered if a 22 was even effective if it came down to protection from someone else or a large predator (in my bug out situation/location would be either a bear, mountain lion, bobcat). Even though it is more that I want to spend, my eye caught a bushmaster xm-15 m4-a3. Could somone show me a picture comparison of a 5.56 round next to a 22? And also any opinions on the decision or even personal experience with one of the rifles would be greatly appreciated.
    Made room for one-22_penny_223-tfb.jpg

I would take the 5.56 all day since you decided to ditch the side arm. Although 22LR is an under rated round and there have been cases of it killing bears this is very rare and i would not trust a 22LR for my defense.

Having a one size fits all rifle is like wanting to only buy one wrench to work on cars. Each job may require something different. You get the right tool for each job.

I have to agree with Hawk. SKS with HP ammo
    Was my first BO rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by adapt619 View Post
    C'mon Man! Get that Ruger 10/22 today! You can find the takedown for around $400. .22lr ammo is another discussion. After you get the 10/22 save for a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Then you will need the AR15 with a pile of 30 round magazines. Don't stop there, the SKS can still be found cheap and it is one reliable firearm, get it. Damn son, no bolt action rifle? Get one in .270 Win or 30.06. After a while get the AK47, proven battle worthy and millions of soldiers around the world can't be wrong!

Then and only then you will realize that you need the sidearm to help fight your way back to all the long guns that you have. Start off with a nice 9mm semi atuomatic, then get a revolver chambered in .357. DO NOT STOP THERE...Get the .45 acp with your next paycheck. (The kids can work in college so don't sweat it). Don't have a nice little pocket pistol? You'll need the .380, Smith and Wesson or Sig Sauer if you ask me. Do a little research and you'll find a sweet little Browning Buckmark .22 LR semi auto handgun! GET IT! What the heck is an FN 5.7? Do a little research and you'll want one now. What? They make a .50 cal? Hell Yeah I want one of those too.

Then your wife will shoot your 10/22 and want one of her own. And the circle of life begins again.

In an area with bear and mountain lion, I would take a AR over a 10-22 all day long. It's been a long time since I have owned a 10-22, but way back then there was allot of feeding problems with them, so I wasn't all that impressed with it. Maybe they have fixed the problem. As for the SKS, you may not be able to effectively engage targets 500 yds away, but it is a very reliable rifle that requires very little maintenance, and the 7.62x39 round does have more kinetic energy then the 5.56 and is much better suited for taking large game. I am not aware of any state that allows deer hunting with a 5.56, but I believe that any state that allows deer hunting with a rifle allows hunters to use the 7.62x39 round. Just saying.

Thanks guys, being able to carry a lot of 22 was a big plus but again its effectiveness in protection against a larger predator was my main concern. As far as building my own AR, how would I go about doing that? Better yet where do I start?

Get the 22 and pickup a Glock 20 in 10mm. Then you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links