Old stuff still works
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Old stuff still works

This is a discussion on Old stuff still works within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; alterego’s Thread on his recent purchase of an older 16 gauge brings up a relevant preper issue. https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/r...-question.html Old reliable guns that can be kept ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By retired guard

Thread: Old stuff still works

Old stuff still works

alterego’s Thread on his recent purchase of an older 16 gauge brings up a relevant preper issue.
    https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/r...-question.html
    Old reliable guns that can be kept working for a life time or two with little to no parts or fancy tools.Old Higgens or stevens shot guns. I have a pick up truck full of them. No other reason at the time we got them other than we could. At one time they could be had of 10 dollars. Simple bolt actions or single shots they put a lot of meat on the table and managed to keep a few revenue agents away. I know somewhere in the boxes are a couple old Goose guns in 16ga some long guns.
    So if you got them still like them post up some pictures of what may be worthless cash wise but priceless if you ever need them old treasures. The chrome monster a 12ga Champion Iver Johnson made in Fitchburg Mass USA. I shot trap with it took it out one night as a joke to counter a 3000 dollar gun that was being used in a local family trap shoot. End up shooting it for two seasons. This one has not been out of the box in 20 years or more.
    We were all taking one day and realized our families lived in Wisconsin TN, and KY . They did it with no electric no gas ect. Over time we have worked on collecting and putting away items they used. I have to wonder in my grandfather may not have used one of these old shot guns to protect his stills. So post them up let the world see them many of the younger preper may have never held one.

Old stuff still works-100_1316.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 10-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Nachtjager likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Both of my pump shotguns are Westernfield 550's. Westernfield was a house brand name for Montgomery Wards. They would contract with gun manufacturers to put their house name on them. You have to have a cross reference chart to tell what manufacturer and model most of them actually are. the 550 is actually a Mossberg 500, any parts made for the Mossy will fit my 550's. I bought them on gunbroker before most others found out about the crossover charts. I actually got one of them for $75 including shipping, probably about 4 years ago! They work great. This one in the pic has no serial number and so was made before 1968. I have some older guns but cannot access their pics just now. A Mosin-Nagant M44 and a Savage model 5 22LR bolt action, that is from the 1940's. Old stuff that was taken care of works great.

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtjager View Post
    It's chrome? That's cool, I just thought all the finish had worn off and it was rather highly polished! You're right, the oldies seldom go bad or fail. I've got several old single-shot Stevens, Higgins, and off-brand 12 gauges that belonged to my grandfather. A couple of them date back from the 1930's I'm certain and while I certainly wouldn't consider them "front line" pieces, the few times I've gone shooting with them, they go bang every time and they're still tight. I suppose there's a lot to be said for simplicity.
    I have no idea how it got chromed or if it came that way, I don't even remember where I got it.
    1903 Springfield another that will be passed on when I am goneOld stuff still works-1903.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 10-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Amazed at the number 03A3'S in "service" still got mine about 39 years ago at K-Mart $55.00 no sling or bayonet. My eyes have aged faster than the rifle also.
    PaulS likes this.

Old shot guns, old rifles or old tools. Some time back as we looked at all the what ifs we war gamed SHTF. The talk drifted to our last two generation.
    My father in law lived in a farm house with no heat other than wood and for some time 1 electric light bulb. And his parents were children when this land was settled. They survived here no electric no gas . I have made it a point to seek out the old tools. I do not look forward to cutting a season of fire wood by hand but if it means staying warm and hot food I am on the saw.
    Hand power drills, wood working tools will be a must long term if it come to that. I stock pile nails like ammo well almost.
    If not ,it sure is some neat stuff to have around

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by rickfromillinois View Post
    I have a 1903-A3 made in 1942 that I bought nearly 40 years ago for $75.00 to go deer hunting. It was all that I could afford at the time. I has the original stock, sling, and even has an original bayonet. To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee "That's not a bayonet, THIS is a bayonet!".
    Your original bayonet is now worth over twice what you paid for the rifle. Maybe even worth three times as much.
    My 1903A3 is a Remington made in April 1943.
    I like "old stuff", I do not own a Glock, or an AR.
    Mauser Gew98 rifle made 1917
    Colt Model 1903 pistol 32 ACP made 1918
    Colt Police Positive Special revolver 32-20 made 1921
    J.Stevens 12 ga single shot, made prior to 1937
    Mossberg 85B 20 ga bolt action shotgun made 1940
    H&R Model 120 16 ga bolt action shotgun made 1940
    Inland M1 Carbine made 1943
    Springfield Armory M1 Garand made 1945
    Mauser K98k scrubbed Yugoslavian made ??
    Ruger Blackhawk Old Model Flat Top 357 magnum made 1959
    Everything else I have was made after 1970, albeit some not by much.

And everyone of those firearms listed will still do the job asked of it.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Sponsored Links