Looking at .308 rifles
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Looking at .308 rifles

This is a discussion on Looking at .308 rifles within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I'm considering a semi auto rifle in .308. I'm not real fond of the AR 10 variants because of the limited magazine and interchangeability. I ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Looking at .308 rifles

Looking at .308 rifles

I'm considering a semi auto rifle in .308. I'm not real fond of the AR 10 variants because of the limited magazine and interchangeability. I am leaning more toward the H&K clones. The Century C-91, The CETME and the PTR-91. These things are everywhere and magazines are aplenty and dirt cheap. I found 100 of them for 150.00 on Gunbroker. I have heard bad things about the Century weapon. Any recommendations or am I leaving out any viable candidates?

Saiga .308. It's a little thumper!

The PTR-91 is a nice clone and ya gotta love the wooden furniture. I'm starting to see them localy at my favorite haunts, The CIA C-91 are VERY hit and miss. I have seen them anywhere from the old MSRP of $600ish up to $900ish, which is isane. The quality can vary vastly from weapon to weapon.

For me, if I was going to roll the dice on a Century model I have a somewhat local(ish) shop that has a great owner who will do a bit of massaging on them when you buy from him. He builds a lot of custom semi's and will do what he can to make any thing that goes out of his door as functional as posible.

As you can guess, he has a nice backorder log.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If you are going with a semi-auto, go with an M1A. Lots of magazines available out there and it is an accurate and reliable weapon.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Of the G3 clones the PTR91's are the best quality in my experience. I had a PTR91F with the 18 inch bull chrome moly barrel for a while and only sold it because I found it not as good for me as an M14/M1A. The Cetme's from CAI are hit and miss from what I've seen also. If you want a quality weapon, quality and cheap often don't go together. Next in line would be an HK91, though there of limited quantity of course as there not a new available import anymore thanks to George Bush SR. Thanks George.

The HK91's aren't really better than the PTR91's other than the cold hammer forged barrels the HK91 had/have and the original chrome moly's PTR had/have. I've been out of the game on what current with them though not having one anymore. I always thought the PTR91's and G3's were the perfect candidate for melonite treatment of the barrel and parts. I see HKParts has cold hammer forged barrels for sale that have been melonited, but I don't see anywhere that PTR91's come with a melonited barrel. I'd think not, but you could always have it changed out though a G3 barrel is pressed into the trunion and than the pin welded in place. People that do it were never that plentiful when I had one.

PTR Industries

HK 91, G3 US made barrel, HK g3 barrel - HKPARTS.NET

HK CLONE TALK

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Did I mention that while there trigger tends to stink out of box they can be quite nice after a trigger job. The rifle's are very reliable and are based off of a true battle rifle, but the parts for them can be crazy expensive. Cheap mags, yes, but parts, no.

Looking at .308 rifles-ptr-91-i15.jpg
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.

I personally steered clear from the G3 clones due to the variability between rifles - there were plenty of used ones to choose from, but to me it looked like the same rifle went up for sale shortly after the person bought it. Although they all would say it was a reliable tack driver... I don't have the time or patience (ok, don't have the knowledge either) to pick out a winner from the lot, so I went with an LR-308. Yes you said you didn't want AR-10, but just saying that's what I went with...

The DPMS LR-308 and the CMMG 308s and a few others can share parts and use the 20rd magpul mags. They are reliable and accurate, and you don't have to worry about getting a lemon.

Other than that I would suggest the M1A, but that is at least half again the cost of an LR-308.

The H&K rifles used to have fluted chambers and polygonal rifling. I don't know for sure if they still do. The fluted chamber means they will fire under very adverse conditions but the brass takes a beating and will not accept being reloaded for long. The polygonal rifling is very accurate with the right bullet/load but it can be finicky about what it likes. Other than that the H&K rifles are durable and pretty well made guns that last a long time.
    When you shoot make sure nobody is to your right - those things throw brass a long ways.

I have an HK-91 and many years ago I sent the trigger group off to a person that was modifying them I think his name was Wilson. He made the trigger pull much lighter and add a set trigger. Making it much more accurate. The way the set trigger worked is you would set the safety/fire lever to the new set position and pull the trigger. Then move the lever to fire position and just a small squeeze of the trigger would fire it. If you just left it the fire position it would work like a normal HK-91 but with a much lighter and smother trigger pull. Another good thing about the HK-91 is that it has a true floating barrel as it doesn't use gas from the barrel to cycle it, it has a unique roller locking system. My brother in law had a full auto HK-91 that he paid 3000 for and got the class 3 stamp. He sold it a couple of years ago for 10000. Since the trigger group is what the class 3 stamp is for you can use it on several different guns making them full auto legally.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 07-23-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    The H&K rifles used to have fluted chambers and polygonal rifling. I don't know for sure if they still do. The fluted chamber means they will fire under very adverse conditions but the brass takes a beating and will not accept being reloaded for long. The polygonal rifling is very accurate with the right bullet/load but it can be finicky about what it likes. Other than that the H&K rifles are durable and pretty well made guns that last a long time.
    When you shoot make sure nobody is to your right - those things throw brass a long ways.
    HK makes a port buffer that will eliminate the dinged brass problem for reloading.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links