WROL weapon of choice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

WROL weapon of choice

This is a discussion on WROL weapon of choice within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Your should have at least 1 primary weapon should be a multi purpose gun for self defense and hunting. A weapon that YOU feel comfortable ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: WROL weapon of choice

WROL weapon of choice

Your should have at least 1 primary weapon should be a multi purpose gun for self defense and hunting. A weapon that YOU feel comfortable with.
    Most of us live in the city so odds are you don’t need some bolt action, 50 caliber sniper rifle that can hit targets a mile away when your in the city with building all over the place. should be a popular weapon so ammo and parts will be available for trade.

PRIMARY RIFLES:
    My personal favorite is the AR-15 the smaller projectile that makes up for its size with velocity causing hydrostatic shock, and it tumbles like a power saw out of control after impact that shreds what it hits, but you have to take care of it for it to take care of you, you want ammo that shoots clean. And clean and lube your rifle. when a nation goes threw a currency crisis the armed forces are downsized and military ammuntion is in surplus. the main reason I choose the AR
    is for the surplus of ammo and mags I see coming the good AR cost 800.00-1000.00 bucks

AK 47 GP WASR 10-63 the Romanian version is proven, very reliable gun easy to maintain, with great stopping power. Not as accurate as the AR but with practice makes perfect. The AK can take lost of abuse and still keep going and there are tons of aftermarket part to customize it. Its reputation speaks for itself a true mud gun. An AK cost around 400-600 dollars.

Yugoslavian SKS - about as reliable as an AK in the same caliber and but with a longer barrel which means more accuracy. The draw back is the limited ammo capacity. Buy a cheap bandoleer and a bunch or stripper clips for cheap. A rifle is better than no rifle at all especially if you have a good, reliable, battle proven one. The first thing you need to do is really clean the gun especially the firing pin they can slam fire, clean all the Cosmaline from the gun, Strongly recommend you buy a firing pin with a return spring for a few bucks. Personally I would recommend polishing the bolt and any unblued steel, sand and paint the wood black, there is no tactical advantage to doing this however is a fear factor, if some people see a wooden stock they may thing you have a slow bolt action rifle and feel more confident, but if it looks more tactical you may not even have to use it. cost around 350.00-400.00

SECONDARY LONG GUNS:
    12 guage shotgun- a simple, world famous, pump action 12 gauge, for self defense. Don’t put a scope, laser-light or bayonet on a shotgun it a scatter gun that it stupid. A shot gun is great but only in close range. I don’t think it should be your primary weapon because of its limited range, even if you have slugs and the other guy has a rifle, because a rifle is way more accurate and can go farther distances, odds are HE will be going home with a new shotgun after every thing is over.cost 180.00-300.00

finally a .22 rifle. not recommended to be your go to gun for defense due to limited spoting power but can provide back up. The .22 is the most under estimated caliber of all killing more people a year than any other caliber. And for 1000 round for like 50 dollars It can be used for cheap target shooting, hunting. with put blowing up small game and fowl, and of course self defense if need be. with little noise, no recoil, fun and cheap to shoot for around 150.00-250.00

I get into more detail on this video:

Re: WROL weapon of choice

I would personally choose an AK47 platform. The ammo is cheap and readily available, the gun is robust and great for short range combat. It's no sniper rifle, but is VERY capable in trained hands. I would want an underfolder model if I had the choice, this makes it more compact (gun is still able to shoot with the stock folded up under it) and also makes it more concealable if you are tip-toeing. If you are looking for a good solid AK platform, get on Gun Broker and look for Norinco Mak-90's they go for about $100-$200 bucks more then a Romanian WASR 10/63 and are great AKs for the price. Since I live in the city (like Thomas said) I won't need to be sniping anything at good distances (I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 for that which is also cheap $120 and super accurate at good distances) I choose the AK, I'm good with it at 150yrd and VERY good with it within 100yrds. I don't care what people say about it's accuracy, it's a solid rifle in solid hands.

I have an AR-15 but have really been thinking about selling it. I want to do all these upgrades to it but just can't afford them, there are thousands of products out there but I have high-end taste and would love to deck it out with a flat-top receiver, EOtech red dot, magpul furniture, but I would end up spending 2x the amount of money on the accessories as I did on the actual gun itself! I do LOVE the feel of it though, it shoots well (it's an M4 plateform) is small and compact, accurate as all hell, and can be customized very simply to the user (given you have cash to upgrade/swap parts). It does need to be cleaned regularly, and many people do not put firearm cleaners in their preps, so if you have an AR, stock up on oil and solvent not in airesol (how the EFF do you spell that word?) form because they tend to go flat over extended periods of time.

I do not own an SKS, 12Ga shotty, or .22 because I am on a very fixed income and have to budget accordingly, if I seel my AR 15 I would use the money to buy another AK and if there is leftovers probably a .22.

I will throw on here the Mosin Nagant 91/30, it is super cheap to purchase, around $100-120, has a large devastating round, 7.62x54r, and you can get 5 of these for the price of an AK, 4 of them with 440 rounds. Cheap to shoot, and usually comes with a bayonet, cleaning kit, breakdown tool, oil can and sling. It is, however, a BOLT ACTION rifle with a 5 round internal magazine, so it is not really made for assaulting or taking a position, more of a covery firing/defensive position holder. But it is super accurate and shoots a large round, so if you hit your target, and i mean anywhere, they will be on the ground.

whatever you choose, TRAIN WITH IT EXTENSIVELY SO YOU KNOW IT INSIDE AND OUT!
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

I have an AR 15 and love it but you really do need to clean it a lot to keep in in good working order. Thinking of buying an AK for diversification (ok, I just want one).
    "I don't know what weapons will be used in World War Three, but in World War Four they will use sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

GET IT! Ak's are the most funnerest gun I own!
    Denton likes this.

yeah right on I forgot the mosin. a good old, cheap, reliable, accurate, durable mosin

Anyone have any experience with an SKS? I have a chance to buy one for 200.00 and I'm thinking about it just for ammo diversification. Is this a good buy?
    "I don't know what weapons will be used in World War Three, but in World War Four they will use sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein
    Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gitnready4it
    Anyone have any experience with an SKS? I have a chance to buy one for 200.00 and I'm thinking about it just for ammo diversification. Is this a good buy?
    Yes. Go buy it NOW, before I do. Lots of mods available, cheap, and so is the ammo. Wish I had never sold mine. Go NOW. DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER. I emphasize GO NOW.
    Denton likes this.

Banned

And for my WROL Weapon of Choice = 12 Gauge Pump.

yeah, if the SKS is in good working order it will be a bargain. Which I'm sure it is. Plus the 7.62 round is no slouch, that way if you happen upon an AK you can share the ammo being as they are, for the most part, all chambered in the same 7.62x39.

Plus they are more accurate then an AK (I know that's debatable) I would hand over the cash for it before they hike up the price to the 350's...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gitnready4it
    I use a couple as my main carbines. My favorite is the Russian one I have because it was used in the invasion of Germany back in the war. It has a 75 round drum like a tommy gun. My beater is (for lack of a better term) a 70's Norinco 56 that is a little more solid and reliable than the old beauty. I have to make a point on the above poster that my sks carbines both have in excess of 40 rounds, there are rumors out there that aren't wholly true. Tapco magazines tend to jam up and so do cheap aftermarket parts sometimes but metal parts is what you want on an old SKS. Mine have no real jamming issues although the old ammo I run can be duds from time to time. A second run through usually fires them. Sometimes it takes a little fine tuning but here's one of Glockwork9 (started the 5 items for zombie apocalypse craze on youtube) firing mine. As you see it wasn't jammed it just got too light of a strike on the aged primers on that surplus can ammo. That was only about half a clip. That's a 40 round clip.

[youtube:3r55io1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0g73zra7s[/youtube:3r55io1g]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links