Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much? within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Don't get me wrong, I love the .22 but for inexpensive target shooting and more of a challenge on small game hunting but not for ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much?

Don't get me wrong, I love the .22 but for inexpensive target shooting and more of a challenge on small game hunting but not for a emergency weapon. While a .22 can easily be deadly, I'd be scared to use it as a self defense weapon for the fact that if the other guy has a bigger gun.. your in bigger trouble and in a tense self defense situation your not the great shot you was at the range. I also understand the ammo is cheap but thousands of rounds for hunting and self protection really? your dreaming if you think you'll need that much in a lifetime unless you plan on target shooting after the world goes to hell which I wouldn't think think would be the best idea and the fact that you can get one for 150-250$ new.. I'd much rather get a shotgun that can use slugs for self defense, large game hunting and bird shot for smaller game and even traps are less time and energy consuming for hunting. Just my thoughts on the preppers that own several .22's, thousands of rounds of ammo and rely so heavily on it alone. really like to know what others think on this subject.

22 as far as weight/rounds price you just cant go wrong i picked up a coupla thousand rounds tonigh paid 20 per block out the door. american eagle and its in 50 round blocks which are super cause i can put a couple in the kids pockets with out giving them a whole block for being cute...
    i got me the back order blues and my 5320 of 22 was spose to be here on the jan 25, but they say now feb 25. what the heck. i have 4 kids that come round doing chores n stuff and i pay them in ammo bricks in what ever caliber of their choice. i went to by my older son an sr22 tonight this way he can still practice on the cheap but they didnt have it, so i got him an fs92 so hell quit asking me for mine. i cant dros it until feb 4th. but now its another ammo hoard he has to get. he'll waller in mine.
    but its bought and paid for.

i have other calibers but being what it is... i took 5000 rounds of 223 to the local range tonight to loan them until next week they will give me 6000 back. it was heavy. my 9mm is heavier than my damn 223 ammo. and 40 &45 i hate buying cause i have to carry it home. i need a wheelie bar for my car. lol
    Last edited by shotlady; 01-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    rickkyw1720pf and Ripon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
    22 as far as weight/rounds price you just cant go wrong i picked up a coupla thousand rounds tonigh paid 20 per block out the door. american eagle and its in 50 round blocks which are super cause i can put a couple in the kids pockets with out giving them a whole block for being cute...
    i got me the back order blues and my 5320 of 22 was spose to be here on the jan 25, but they say now feb 25. what the heck. i have 4 kids that come round doing chores n stuff and i pay them in ammo bricks in what ever caliber of their choice. i went to by my older son an sr22 tonight this way he can still practice on the cheap but they didnt have it, so i got him an fs92 so hell quit asking me for mine. i cant dros it until feb 4th. but now its another ammo hoard he has to get. he'll waller in mine.
    but its bought and paid for.

i have other calibers but being what it is... i took 5000 rounds of 223 to the local range tonight to loan them until next week they will give me 6000 back. it was heavy. my 9mm is heavier than my damn 223 ammo. and 40 &45 i hate buying cause i have to carry it home. i need a wheelie bar for my car. lol
    That is why preppers love 223's I weighed a box of 1000 rnds of 9mm 115 gr and it was 27.2 lbs and 1000 rnds of 5.56x45 (223) 62 gr weighed 27.6 so for the same weight the 5.56 is about 3 times more powerful then the 9 mm, that is one reason I can't see why people buy 9mm carbines as the ammo isn't cheaper.
    shotlady likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

22 is one of the best. I have taken deer down with it. I have no doubt that I could drop a person without a problem. I feel that most people over do it with their firearms. I see them at the range shooting these giant over powerful weapons and I think it has a lot to do with ego. Bigger the toy, the better it must be, right?? Get to the range and practice. Now, if you are in a self defense situation, chances are you wouldn't grab a rifle. You would grab a handgun most of the time. Now if you are in a high position - like on your roof, and can see them coming from a distance, then you grab the rifle.
    shotlady and waznyf like this.

i just love my 22s!!! ruger has done me and my boys nice!

Well you know, it does so many damned things well, it ought to be a crime not to have one in your arsenal! In fact more times than not, its just what the doctor ordered! For the few things it does not excel in, if you do your part it will still manage to pick up the check at reasonable ranges. I am however with you on the fact that for self defense its misreably lacking on many levels. Granted its better than nothing but not but a whole lot when it comes to being graded as a fight stopper. Do understand though that unless they hit a trama plate they WILL penetrate a threat level IIIA vest and create quiet the problem for the wearer of the vest. Too, I dont think too many people are going to get in you face and talk too much in the way of smack when your pointing a 22 at them...I have never met anyone that wanted to be shot, even if its the demenutive 22 rim fire, but granted there are those that sometimes feel so over confident they are willing to try you on for size. Fortunately for society not to mention the gene pool, Darwin usually weeds them out. Its just a chambering thats way down on my list to grab first when the shooting starts. But for just about everything else...its the cats meow.

I own a couple of them and I am seriously considering adding yet one more to the collection! As cheap as ammo for it is...I have a gazillion rounds stashed away for a rainy day, despite the current "ammo drought" in progress. I didnt break the bank either in the process.
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 01-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    shotlady likes this.

As has been stated the .22 does a lot of things well as long as you stick to the limits of the gun/round limitations. Is it the best SD round? No but I would not feel undergunned if that is what I had.

Things can be done with a .22 quickly and quietly that cannot be done with other calibers. The firearms are generally lighter, have a decent magazine capacity, low recoil so inexperienced shooters can generally handle them unlike larger calibers.

Shotlady I am handy with a lawn mower, gun repairs, Harley's and animals so get the chores list ready. I accept .22 and all other calibers as payment.
    shotlady likes this.

Alpinestar - I'm surprised you would have to ask that question. Do you have any experience with .223, 5.56, .224, 22-250?

In a purely survival situation you can't beat the versatility of the .22. The first gun I ever fired was a Ruger 10/22 when I was about five. They are just so easy. You throw in a BX-25 magazine and it's a fairly formidable weapon. I mean, it might not stop a bear, but it would probably turn and run the other way like most wild animals. Now if you throw combat into the mix and things are shooting at you, you're gonna want a bigger gun. Still, I wouldn't ever want to get shot, even with "just" a .22.
    shotlady likes this.
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"You are entering a world of pain"
    -Walter Sobchak

Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why a 22
    ammo is the cheapest.
    shoots a range of bullets in a rifle from the almost silent CB caps to 22 long rifle stingers 191 ft/lbs about the same as a 380 pistol
    there is a lot more small game available when hunting then large deer size animals.
    the gun of choise when teaching a child or someone about the basics of shooting.
    still a good choice in home defense (who say you have to shoot a person just one time)
    there is no recoil to speak of so you can virtually follow the game through the sites
    The 22 ammo may be one of the best barter items as there are more 22 then any other gun.
    Ammo is small and light and 500 rnd can be easily carried with a rifle which is usually lighter also.
    just about ever type of gun is made in 22 cal. bolt, lever, semi, pump, revolvers.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 01-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    shotlady likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links