Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much?

This is a discussion on Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much? within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by alterego I think it important to remember when discussing a defensive situation, which will likely occure at close range, the person who ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much?

Quote Originally Posted by alterego View Post
    I think it important to remember when discussing a defensive situation, which will likely occure at close range, the person who has lead on center mass first, wins every single time, .22 LR .380, 9mm .223 308 or 7mm rem ultra mag.

If you are proficient, with the fire arm you are only limited by range, that limit to the range is likely multiples more than the deadly range of the round.

You have to get a smile from the foot low at 440 yards talk about adjusting the aim point. That is not aiming that is lobbing a shot.
    Remeber only a sniper is a threat at 200 plus yards. So a .22 is a quiet, portable, affordable, storable, sustainable, acceptable, tradable, concelable, controlable round.

You have to get a smile from the foot low at 440 yards talk about adjusting the aim point. That is not aiming that is lobbing a shot.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

if i had a 22, it would be a sig mosquito, and I have shot a friends sig, and it is a damn fine gun. I would have three 10 rds magazines and a carry holster. im guessing a used sig with three mags, and a decent holster could be had for three hundred dollars if you shopped around. An as far as s.d., a three shot centermass group is easy. and then i could save up and get a ruger 10/22 from the pawn shop, then I would have my close range, medium range, and in your bubble covered. after saving all that money, i would get a H & R pardner for 180.
    I grew up shooting 22 everyday, from killing snakes to jackrabbits.
    I am currently attempting to strike matches with open sights, no way could I afford to shoot that much with anything else.

Im new here but plainly put...cheaper....easier to get a stockpile goin....versatility....velocity and range....dmg. I'll explain each:

cheaper: buy much more of it without emptying the pocket book.
    easier to stockpile: refer to previous statement
    versatile: you can us it in most every type of weapon whether it be a pistol, carbine, or just avg long rifle as well as it has so little recoil that your great great grandma could point and shoot multiple times at a target and never miss vs higher caliber rounds.
    velocity: for the type of bullet and the amount of grains in a 22LR you can still shoot and kill someone at a distance no matter what firearm you use it in
    dmg: the bullet when it enters a human body..especially the upper body...look out, its time to play pinball when it hits bones in the upper body it can cause massive dmg to multiple vital organs. its small and can bounce off of bone and becomes a shredding nightmare.

Just my opinion but i'd rather have a 22 carbine or similar thereof than a 223 or other higher caliber when it comes to survivability as well as...the higher caliber also creates a higher dcbl rating as well as recoil so much that animals, believe it or not, can feel it/hear/smell the reprocussion from the gas/powder that comes from firing a high powered rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Some input on .22 ammo
    I always liked the Golden Bullet by Remington.
    In the past several years I have had numerous mis fires both in revolvers and semi autos.
    I now use Winchester, CCI and Federal.
    The CCI works best inthe `1911 conversion unit.
    Hidden Content

Have a safe day and be ready in all ways.

Bull

I like my Colt M4 .22lr. It's light. There is no kickback. Ammo is cheap and available. From what I have read, .22's can be lethal at a fairly long distance. It may be a small caliber rifle, but, it fits me. I feel I am more accurate with it than with a heavier gun and I think accuracy is important. I'm petite and this gun is ergonomically suited to me. You can't easily get an AR15 these days, or even any semi automatic, so, my Colt M4 .22lr is going to have to do. We did just buy a bunch of mags for it, in case we can't get them any more. We also have an old SKS in case we need a bigger caliber. I would not mind a few more different rifles and a hand gun, but, I don't want an arsenal. I don't feel I need that, as much as I need to really feel comfortable, and to be really accurate with my favorite gun. The Ruger 10/22 is an appealing rifle to me. Maybe when I find a money tree somewhere.....

The Good Cop

The first gun I ever shot was a 22 rimfire rifle at age 5. The first gun that was my very own was a Winchester single shot 22 rifle that was a gift from my Dad for my 10th birthday. I can not imagine being without a 22.
    I have used them to put down a hen that had been mauled by a predator, to put down roosters that beat up other birds, to dispatch diamondback rattlers and cottonmouth moccasins that get too close to the house. Using shot shells I have fought an invasion of Norway rats that came when a neighbor tore down some old chicken barns.
    Whenever I am outside the house, on our land, I have a 22 pistol of some make/type on my hip or in my pocket.
    One of my favorite rifles is a scoped Savage bolt action 22 magnum.
    Did you know you can kill a 1,000+ pound bull with a 22? Same with alligators.
    Nope, I just can't imagine life without a 22 rimfire.
    I think I'll go fondle a couple of mine right now.
    oswegoscott likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I can only hope you are not betting your life on a .22.

A .22 is kinda like a moped, they can be fun but useless for much of anything practical.

Ill put it this way...a gun in any persons hands is dangerous but a gun in a skilled persons hands is even more deadly!

I just picked of a Ruger SR22. Went to the range last night and it fires great. First 10 rounds - all within 3 inches center mass. Very smooth action. Highly recommend.
    8675309 likes this.

I like .22's because the ammo is so cheap, lightweight, and plentiful. I buy Federal brand boxes of 550 rounds for $20. You can't beat that lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links