Long Range Shooting Tutorial
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Long Range Shooting Tutorial within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; For those of you thinking about getting a long range rifle, or are already have one, this is a very well done series. It's long, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long Range Shooting Tutorial

For those of you thinking about getting a long range rifle, or are already have one, this is a very well done series. It's long, 90 videos, but pretty dang thorough.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BZi0vDCIcEPxUn
    Last edited by Denton; 12-13-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Slippy, bigwheel, Renec and 6 others like this.

Thank you txmarine6531. I need to learn more of long distance shooting and I appreciate the links. I have satellite internet so I'll have to watch most of it in the am.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Thank you txmarine6531. I need to learn more of long distance shooting and I appreciate the links. I have satellite internet so I'll have to watch most of it in the am.
    Not a problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No longer here.

TiborasaurusRex has a great amateur following txmarine6531. But that's as far as that goes. Don't expect to see may Professionals knocking down His door for educational lessons.
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-12-2015 at 10:05 PM.
    txmarine6531, Slippy and AquaHull like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    TiborasaurusRex has a great amateur following txmarine6531. But that's as far as that goes. Don't expect to see may Professionals knocking down His door for educational lessons.
    I understand, but it's a good place to start. I like the way he explains things. A pro would most likely make it harder to grasp.
    M118LR likes this.

Super Moderator

This is now a stuck thread.
    Renec, txmarine6531 and Slippy like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Awesome! Thanks Denton! Pretty soon, I'm going to be doing a write up on reloading. It'll be pretty in depth, I noticed we don't have one in the reloading forum.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I know what a "Stuck Pig" is and what it means to be "Stuck in a Tight Spot" but what is a "Stuck Thread"?
    txmarine6531, Renec and Denton like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I know what a "Stuck Pig" is and what it means to be "Stuck in a Tight Spot" but what is a "Stuck Thread"?
    It'll stay at the top of the sub-forum.
    Slippy and Renec like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

No longer here.

Okay, it seems I have stuck this thread. So I'll have to generate a couple of posts. Professionals understand that other than the M118 7.62 NATO/.308 Win rounds go subsonic prior to reaching 850 Meters. So the good place to start ends at the 600 Yard line where the Mexican Match Ammo was designed to perform. (168 grain SMK) I've instructed Appleseed shooters that went to 1000 Yard classes and couldn't understand why they couldn't hit squat with the provided 168 grn SMK (M852) ammo. So prior to heading to the Long Range Line, take some time to google Military Service (AMU) Marksmanship Units Results. JMHO.

Here is a quick link: http://www.snipercentral.com/history-m118-ammunition/

On another day I'll dig a bit deeper and get totally technical if folks request it.

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 1
    The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 2

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 1

Sorry it's in parts.

Of particular interest to the 20 inch and Below Question for Extended long Range.
    " In 2009 the NRA allowed the AR-10/SR-25 to be used as a service rifle for NRA competitions, which includes the Palma and 1000 yard matches. While the AR-10 was capable of exceedingly high accuracy, the 20 inch barrel put a further constraint on achievable velocities so crucial to 1000 yard performance. By this time the less than ideal transonic performance of the Sierra 175 gr. Match King had been shown by the performance of the M118LR cartridge fired from the AR10 rifle when these rifles were utilized in 1000 yard matches. In high winds the M118 LR cartridges show poor performance once the velocity drops below 1226 fps; therefore, performance on the 900 and 1000 yard lines can be problematic in high winds as the 20″ barrel of the AR10 simply does not generate the muzzle velocity needed to keep the 175 gr. Sierra above that threshold. Something new was needed to make the AR-10 with its 20″ barrel competitive in 1000 yard matches."

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 2

About 147 or 150 grain 308 performance.
    "The original 7.62 NATO M80 ball cartridge adopted in 1955 featured a 148 gr. bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps measured at 78 feet, which corresponded to an actual muzzle velocity of 2,805 fps out of a 22 inch M14 barrel. This was achieved with a nominal load of 46 grains of WC846 for Winchester-Western loads, or 44.1 grains of IMR 4475 in loads assembled by Remington. The M80 ball cartridge was essentially a mildly improved ballistic match to the old M2 .30-06 ball load of the WWII era. The bullet design was superior to the M2 for long range shooting due to the M80’s boat-tail design. However, M80 was by no means an ideal match cartridge due to the relatively low level of test accuracy: between 3.7″ and 5″ measured mean radius (MR) at 600 yards being the norm. This load would typically go subsonic at around 850 yards, and was not an ideal cartridge for use at distances in excess of 750 yards out of an M14 due to bullet turbulence when making the transition from super-sonic to sub-sonic speeds, an event that occurs at 1117 fps at sea level in standard conditions."
    Last edited by M118LR; 12-14-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add a quick link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links