Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Long Range Shooting Tutorial

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#10 · (Edited)
Okay, it seems I have stuck this thread. So I'll have to generate a couple of posts. Professionals understand that other than the M118 7.62 NATO/.308 Win rounds go subsonic prior to reaching 850 Meters. So the good place to start ends at the 600 Yard line where the Mexican Match Ammo was designed to perform. (168 grain SMK) I've instructed Appleseed shooters that went to 1000 Yard classes and couldn't understand why they couldn't hit squat with the provided 168 grn SMK (M852) ammo. So prior to heading to the Long Range Line, take some time to google Military Service (AMU) Marksmanship Units Results. JMHO.

Here is a quick link: http://www.snipercentral.com/history-m118-ammunition/

On another day I'll dig a bit deeper and get totally technical if folks request it.

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 1
The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 2

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 1

Sorry it's in parts.

Of particular interest to the 20 inch and Below Question for Extended long Range.
" In 2009 the NRA allowed the AR-10/SR-25 to be used as a service rifle for NRA competitions, which includes the Palma and 1000 yard matches. While the AR-10 was capable of exceedingly high accuracy, the 20 inch barrel put a further constraint on achievable velocities so crucial to 1000 yard performance. By this time the less than ideal transonic performance of the Sierra 175 gr. Match King had been shown by the performance of the M118LR cartridge fired from the AR10 rifle when these rifles were utilized in 1000 yard matches. In high winds the M118 LR cartridges show poor performance once the velocity drops below 1226 fps; therefore, performance on the 900 and 1000 yard lines can be problematic in high winds as the 20″ barrel of the AR10 simply does not generate the muzzle velocity needed to keep the 175 gr. Sierra above that threshold. Something new was needed to make the AR-10 with its 20″ barrel competitive in 1000 yard matches."

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: 7.62 NATO Long Range Match Cartridges - Part 2

About 147 or 150 grain 308 performance.
"The original 7.62 NATO M80 ball cartridge adopted in 1955 featured a 148 gr. bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps measured at 78 feet, which corresponded to an actual muzzle velocity of 2,805 fps out of a 22 inch M14 barrel. This was achieved with a nominal load of 46 grains of WC846 for Winchester-Western loads, or 44.1 grains of IMR 4475 in loads assembled by Remington. The M80 ball cartridge was essentially a mildly improved ballistic match to the old M2 .30-06 ball load of the WWII era. The bullet design was superior to the M2 for long range shooting due to the M80's boat-tail design. However, M80 was by no means an ideal match cartridge due to the relatively low level of test accuracy: between 3.7″ and 5″ measured mean radius (MR) at 600 yards being the norm. This load would typically go subsonic at around 850 yards, and was not an ideal cartridge for use at distances in excess of 750 yards out of an M14 due to bullet turbulence when making the transition from super-sonic to sub-sonic speeds, an event that occurs at 1117 fps at sea level in standard conditions."

#12 ·
Wish I had found that back say the first of December, . . . would have made some long cold days a lot more fun.

I'm subscribed though, . . . will be looking at a bunch of it.

Thanks, Txmarine, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

#14 ·
Good post. Defining long range is also something you must do. IMO 500 yards plus in most cases. Each shooter will have their own Idea. Having a rifle , a round and the basic marksman ship skills where it must start. Been busy with other things and weather was been a pain I am still wanting to take the RP Rimfire out to 300 yards. As of now it is showing it's self as a good low cost practice rifle for the bigger ones.

Reactions: txmarine6531
#18 ·
They offer the 300 win mag now and the 338. Price right also. I don't need another weapon that fire rounds cost 4.50 to almost $6 But the 338 is tempting . If there is a market they will likely offer a caliber.

Reactions: txmarine6531
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.