Salty's Gun Review (Sorta Review/RANT): This Ruger Mini 30 is a piece of #$%&!!!!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Salty's Gun Review (Sorta Review/RANT): This Ruger Mini 30 is a piece of #$%&!!!!

This is a discussion on Salty's Gun Review (Sorta Review/RANT): This Ruger Mini 30 is a piece of #$%&!!!! within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Salty's Gun Review (Sorta Review/RANT): This Ruger Mini 30 is a piece of #$%&!!!!

I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, and I will pull no punches... these are guns I own and shoot, and I will address them from a "prepping/survival perspective".

Today's review is about MY Ruger Mini-30. I don't claim that ALL Ruger Mini-30's are like this, I am just reviewing the one I own.

Buckle up, this one's gonna get rough.

I bought a Ruger Mini-30 Ranch Tacticool this spring.

I admit it, it was an impulse buy at the gun store... I had some credit for trading in another gun, and I saw the Mini 30 Tacticool and thought to myself "you know, self, you've got a bazillion rounds of 7.62x39 in storage, and the only "normal' looking rifles you have to shoot them with is your stock SKS... SO... self, why not get a "normal" looking quality American made rifle to saw through some of that ammo?"

So... I bought almost exactly what I thought I was getting... I bought a "normal" looking American made rifle that I planned to "saw through some of that ammo".

Notice I left out the word "quality" in what I bought. Why? Because this thing is a piece of #$%&! I guess it does, technically, possess a quality level, and it's somewhere below "piss poor".

Bottom line, here's what sucks about the gun.

1) It won't reliably shoot steel case ammo.

2) It won't reliably shoot ANY ammo.

3) The gun jams, a LOT. And by a LOT I mean multiple times per magazine, no mater WHAT ammo I put in it, from Tula to Golden Bear to Golden Tiger to Winchester White Box to Hornady Zombie SST to PPU Soft Points, doesn't matter. FTE, FTE, Stovepipes, you name it.

4) Even if the gun does fire, it's likely to as not have the safety malfunction.

I bought the gun, brand spanking new at my favorite gun shop, took it out to the range and didn't get 10 rounds through it before the safety jammed on. I took it back to the gun shop, the gunsmith fiddled with it and it worked, for a while. It was still having jamming issues, so I took it out to see what, if any ammo, the thing would eat. Jams.

Today, I got some different ammo, some Sellier & Bellot FMJ, so I thought I would give the gun one more chance. On the third round, the safety malfunctioned again.

I am DONE with this thing. It's going back to the LGS, and going back to Ruger for repair. The minute I get it back, it's going onto the consignment rack.

This is the second Ruger in a row that's had to go back to the factory. The last was a brand new Ruger LCR .22LR revolver that had multiple issues as well (indexing was off so it misfired, and the ejector didn't work).

I am about done with Ruger, I have no idea if their quality control has gone to #$*% but they sure have sold me a couple of junkers lately.

I'm not even going to write a full review on this thing like normal, it's just junk and I will leave it at that. I am sure I got a bad copy yadda yadda don't care, it sucks, a $700 rifle should go bang out of the box. It should not have MULTIPLE, UNRELATED firing issues. I've been waiting on doing a review on it until I found some way to get this thing to work, but I'm done with it. It's junk.

I had one friend say to me "well, if you didn't shoot that steel case Russian crap..." but that's a stupid argument... the entire POINT of making a gun in 7.62x39 is to shoot cheap Russian crap ammo. There's no other reason to make a gun in this chambering... it has no advantages over standard American sizing other than you can get cheap imported ammo in the caliber.

Here are pictures if you care. I don't, it sucks.

It looks really cool, which is why I bought it.
    Then again, my psycho hose-beast former girlfriend looked really cool when I first saw her.
    I regret laying my eyes on both of them.

Flash suppressor! Best functioning thing on the gun, since when I took this the safety had already malfunctioned.
    No matter what, until the gun is disassembled and the part is put back into place, there will be NO muzzle flash!

This is where the magazine goes. If it functioned correctly, this would allow the bullets to get loaded into the chamber.
    In reality, this is where the magazine goes, right before it jams.

This is an "M1" styled action only in looks. M1's generally function. This one just LOOKS like a gun that works.

Here is the trigger. It's not supposed to be jammed back like that. That is a malfunction. Again.

The funky Ruger scope mount thingy. The gun comes with scope rings.

Here's my "review" stuff, if you care:

Tale Of The Tape:

Here’s the specs on my Ruger Mini 30 Range Cow Pie

Stock: Synthetic
    Capacity: 20+1 (not that it will actually fire them without jamming or malfunctioning)
    Finish: Blued
    Barrel Length: 18.5"
    Overall Length: 36.75 Inches
    Front Sight: Blade
    Rear Sight: Peep
    Scope Rails: Sorta: has that weird Ruger mount thing.
    Weight: 6.75 LBS
    Ammunition: Never found any that would actually shoot out of the dumb thing without jamming it or breaking it, or like today, BOTH.

Shooting:

See above

THE BOTTOM LINE:

I can't tell you what I REALLY think of this gun without getting banned. Let's just say it's not nearly as reliable or well made as a Chiappa 1911-22.

Here's my opinions on that POS: Chiappa 1911-22

------------------------

Here are links of my other reviews:

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Henry AR-7 .22LR Semi-Auto Survival Rifle

Marlin X7 Bolt Action Rifle

The Ole Smoke Pole: Review & Discussion Of Single-Shot Shottys

Henry Golden Boy .22

Phoenix Arms HP22A

Chiappa 1911-22

Windham Weaponry M4 AR-15 SRC

Rock Island Armscor M200 .38 Special

Kel-tec PF9

Ruger American Rifle .22LR Bolt Action

ISSC .22LR Semi-Auto (Glock clone)

North American Arms .22 Magnum/22LR/L/S convertible w/holster grip

Nagant Revolver Super Review With Many Pictures & Videos

Glock 26 as a CCW/BOB/GHB option

Crickett Kids Rifle For Training Younglings & As A BOB/GHB Option

Mossberg 702 Plinkster

Ye Ole .22 Single Shot
    Last edited by Salt-N-Pepper; 05-25-2015 at 06:42 PM.

This may be the greatest and most entertaining gun review that I've ever read. Sorry that you got stuck with a bad one. I have looked at these for a while. I will look elsewhere now.
    shotlady likes this.
    The best that we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. - Alexander Hamilton

Thanks for the warning. I was seeking a platform to shoot the 7.62X39 and when I saw the price of the mini 30 vs. a surplus SKS I opted for the SKS and had enough left over to buy an AK 47. I'm happy with both of those rifles. I just feel that the Mini 14 has long since been eclipsed by the AR rifles and the Mini 30 was designed as an American counterpart to the SKS/AKM which the 7.62X39 was originally built for. I'm sorry you invested so much only to end up having to sell it. I hope someone pays you well for it. Nothing personal, but it won't be me.
    shotlady and Charles Martel like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Talked me out of wanting one. Thanks.
    shotlady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I was seeking a platform to shoot the 7.62X39 and when I saw the price of the mini 30 vs. a surplus SKS I opted for the SKS and had enough left over to buy an AK 47. I'm happy with both of those rifles. I just feel that the Mini 14 has long since been eclipsed by the AR rifles and the Mini 30 was designed as an American counterpart to the SKS/AKM which the 7.62X39 was originally built for. I'm sorry you invested so much only to end up having to sell it. I hope someone pays you well for it. Nothing personal, but it won't be me.
    Sadly, I bought 6 mags for the dumb thing too... so, yeah, OUCH!

I've got a bunch of other 7.62x39 guns, several AK's, several SKS's, a bolt gun, NONE of them have any problems firing any round, any brand. Just this thing.

I hope Ruger makes this thing right. I don't want to sell somebody a lemon. They did actually fix everything that was wrong with my LCR-22, I shot it today double-tapping and it worked like a champ.
    shotlady likes this.

Salt-n -Pepper,
    you could have been a little more detailed on your posting.
    Here, let me help you, crap, crap, crap.
    Enough said, I agree 110%.
    The only ones I think they make consistantly good are the 1022 and the MK1 22cal pistol.
    The lcr and lc9, imo are crap.
    I'll carry my Smith mod 60 or my Smith 3913, these I know will work when needed.

Wow! Thanks for the review! I will stick to my Russian and Norinco rifles which so far are flawless for me!

I have a Mini-14 and had one FTF a long time ago but it runs just fine! I almost picked up a 30 at a local pawn shop but held off, glad now!
    csi-tech likes this.

Super Moderator

One of the common complaints about the Mini-30 that I have read is that the group opens up dramatically as the barrel warms up. From what I have read, it doesn't take many rounds, either.

Sorry to there are even more problems, and that you got stuck with it.
    csi-tech likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    One of the common complaints about the Mini-30 that I have read is that the group opens up dramatically as the barrel warms up. From what I have read, it doesn't take many rounds, either.

Sorry to there are even more problems, and that you got stuck with it.
    I wish I could get far enough to get the barrel to warm up, it always malfunctions before I get that far.

In all seriousness, my plan was to put a night scope on this gun and use it for hog hunting. It's a great round for the porkers.

Rugers in my experience as supported by this and many other posts and Smiths

If you had 10

2 would shoot....ok ish
    2 wont shoot for shit
    the other 6 somewhere in between

JME and of course many other people as well

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links