Remington 33
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Remington 33

This is a discussion on Remington 33 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Hey, Smitty, We took the old Remington 33 with us out shooting last weekend. What a great rifle! I love it! Am I mistaken in ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By RNprepper
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 3 Post By RNprepper
  • 3 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Remington 33

Remington 33

Hey, Smitty,
    We took the old Remington 33 with us out shooting last weekend. What a great rifle! I love it! Am I mistaken in thinking that the older guns have a feel of great quality and workmanship that newer ones lack?

ALso, can you recommend an INexpensive range finder? I couldn't believe how much they cost when I started looking. I just want something for shorter distances - like 100 yards to set up targets.

Electronic range finders are expensive and not as easy to use as some may think in many cases. For ranges out to 400 meters if you work with your sights and Ojects of a known approximate size you will get close enough. If you like we can go into more details on how that is done.
    For .22 ranges little practice and you will have it down in no time. Where did you come across a 33 at?
    Older rifles had a heavy feel to them generally because they were heavier.
    Slippy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

RN

Unless you're setting up some very long range shooting, (and the Remington 33 being a .22LR) I agree with Smitty. Range Finders may not be the best for you if you are plinking at 100 yards or closer. Since you live and shoot in the desert, I'd recommend finding a nice berm or backstop and setting up your targets then pacing off your distances. 50 to 100 paces (yards) should be fine for practice and such. You;ll be pretty close.

Have fun and nice rifle!

Last edited by Slippy; 02-13-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    RNprepper likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Electronic range finders are expensive and not as easy to use as some may think in many cases. For ranges out to 400 meters if you work with your sights and Ojects of a known approximate size you will get close enough. If you like we can go into more details on how that is done.
    For .22 ranges little practice and you will have it down in no time. Where did you come across a 33 at?
    Older rifles had a heavy feel to them generally because they were heavier.
    The 33 came down through my now deceased father-in-law. I don't know where he got it. I'll have to do some digging, but it will be a great gun to pass on to my new little grandson who can say it came from his great grandpa.
    bigwheel, Arklatex and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    The 33 came down through my now deceased father-in-law. I don't know where he got it. I'll have to do some digging, but it will be a great gun to pass on to my new little grandson who can say it came from his great grandpa.
    Hang on to it while not worth a lot of cash it is a worthy weapon to have been passed down.
    The 33 was made from 1932 until 1935 they made 263600 of them two version rifled and smooth bore. Came in 4 grades.
    A little research and the serial number can trace the year.
    The passing of a .22 and or a 410 from one generation to the next is as American as it gets.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 02-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    bigwheel, Arklatex and Slippy like this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

no serial number. It has a metal butt plate. I saw that there were 4 grades, but I have no idea how to tell what this one is. Doesn't matter. It's an 80 year old gun that shoots great, looks great, and feels great.

Great shooter and heirloom you got there. I bet the smooth bore model of that gun is what they used to let us shoot skeet with using rat shot back in in boy scout camp. They had small clays and quite a bit shorter course. It was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    no serial number. It has a metal butt plate. I saw that there were 4 grades, but I have no idea how to tell what this one is. Doesn't matter. It's an 80 year old gun that shoots great, looks great, and feels great.
    Different levels had different sights for one thing was common then . It is truly a personal treasure.

Sponsored Links