Putting Together a New AR-15--Cheap!!!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Putting Together a New AR-15--Cheap!!! within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am fairly frugal, but I've had the itch for an AR-15. I spent a good deal of time during the spring and summer researching ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Putting Together a New AR-15--Cheap!!!

I am fairly frugal, but I've had the itch for an AR-15. I spent a good deal of time during the spring and summer researching a "Build Your Own" AR. Which is much, much cheaper than buying one commercially off the rack. I even went to a gun show today and kind of chuckled listening to guys go "$750? Man, that's a good deal!" as I spied what they were holding, knowing the seller did exactly what I'm doing, but marked up the price $250 or more. He banks on no one knowing what he's doing. I did. Because he said it. And it slipped right past the guy holding the rifle.

But, I discovered two places online in all of my research and, after all the research I did, went "What's this? Rifle Kits? WTF?" I don't know how I missed it. And I could have saved myself a ton of time, but I take solace in the volumes of things I learned about AR's. So it is not time wasted by any means.

So here's what I did. There are TWO places online, just TWO, that you absolutely need to know about, if you are looking to build a no frills, fully functional, reliable "battle rifle", that is fully upgradeable and "Mil-Spec". These are not safe queens. These are working guns, for home or civil defense, and are as basic as what is issued to our troops minus the auto capabilities.

Site #1: fatboytactical.net This is where you are going to order your stripped lower receiver. I bought a four pack for $154 plus $10 shipping; 4 Pack of Anderson Stripped Lowers [4 Pack of Anderson Stripped Lowe] - $154.00 : Fat Boy Tactical, Home of AR 15 Parts

The cost per receiver, including shipping, sales tax and transfer fee, comes out to $48.50 each. I paid them. I e-mailed my buddy's FFL to them. They had it out and in the mail, priority, within a few hours. Should be at his place no later than Tuesday/Wednesday.

Site #2: palmettostatearmory.com Click on AR15 and go to "Rifle Kits". Rifle Kits - AR-15

The Rifle Kits come with a fully assembled upper that is head spaced and test fired by them. It also comes with a COMPLETE lower parts kit; all your springs, trigger, buffer tube, spring and buffer, stock, grip...EVERYTHING you need to completely build your AR with exception of the receiver itself. Which I got from Fat Bot. The one I bought was $399.99 and cost me $17 for shipping.

I went to E-bay and ordered a quick detach A2 Style "Carry Handle" with dual aperture sights AND a see thru rail for mounting a sight on the handle (which I'll probably never use), for $26.98 with Free Shipping. I bought four Magpul Gen 2 P-Mags at the gun show today for $50 out the door ($12.50 each).

All total, I have put together a fully functional, ready to go AR for a grand total of: $504.97 (tallying one mag). I was going to buy their "Slick Side PTAC" kit for $359.99, but I think they're actually out of stock (even though it says "In Stock"), because it wouldn't let me add it to my cart. The total on that would have been $464.00. Yep. Just over four and a half bills. And I have three more receivers to build on as I have the money to do so.

I watched AR's with "Hy-Brid" Polymer receivers going for over $700 today, with no more bells and whistles than what I mentioned right here. If you want a baseline, no frills AR like the M&P 15 Sport (a fine gun I might add), you're looking at mid $6 to $700, maybe a little more.

If you have ever wanted an AR but feared the price, fear no more. As for assembling the lower receiver, there are plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how to do it. And it is deceptively simple. Seriously. Not hard at all. Even I was like "That's it? Really?" I recommend "NSZ85". He has great AR build videos, well produced, great camera work, HD, explains it so you can understand it, just good stuff.

I will update this if anyone is interested, after everything gets here and I get it together. I'll even report in once I've gotten it to the range.

This really seems to be the way to go. For all my efforts, I was unable to bring in an AR, piece by piece, for less than what I did here. And that was not including the tools I would have needed to assemble everything, primarily for the Upper Receiver (vice block, armorers wrench, head space gauges, torque wrench etc.). There was also no guarantee that the different parts and pieces, would not have some sort of defect, or a wrong part was ordered all together, further increasing the time and expense.

The AR Gods are smiling today. And I am happy.
    Prepadoodle and Slippy like this.
    "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"

Good stuff. Thanks for the great info.
    stillacitizen2 likes this.

Copes has/had Anderson lowers for $35.99 each,with free shipping over $50(FREE50),with transfer on 3 it comes to just under $45 each.

I would stay away from PTAC which rhymes with P & CRAP, and stick with PSA Premium or CHF barreled uppers made by FN

Both Fat Boy and PSA are Good To Go, while you're looking for parts,the Equipment Exchange at arfcom is a great place to build parts other's fell out of love with and can be bought at a deep discount in most cases.
    Equipment Exchange - AR15.COM

To join you need to use the email addy your ISP gave you,not a GMail or Yahoo,or HotMail etc addy

After a few months of trading there you will be eligible for a complimentary visit to the nationally acclaimed BRDA meetings ,a.k.a. Black Rifle Disease Anonymous

At the meeting you will be told that under no conditions under penalty of removal from BRDA,that you sign up for email updates from any of the following websites
    Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users
    AIM Surplus

Primary Arms, Red Dot Sights, Holosights, Rifle Scopes, Sights and Accessories. More than 90 brands in stock! Trijicon, EOTECH, Magpul and More!

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

CDNN SPORTS - Shopping Cart
    ARPartsFinder.com - Find AR15 parts in stock now

http://www.brownells.com/

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The BRDA meetings help me kick the affliction .
    I think I have BARD now. Bolt Action Rifle Disease

Ruger M77 Hawkeye, 308 Win, 22", Black Laminate Stock, Stainless Steel Finish - $579.99 ($14.74 S/H) | Slickguns

Picked up one of the above in 243 last month or so

Then a Savage 110 in '06
    now the 308 is winking at me.

Be careful lest you start getting updates from these reloading sites

X-Treme BULLETS

Rocky Mountain Reloading

Powder Valley, Inc.

dardas cast bullets

The Reloaders Anonymous Meets here
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
    and here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php?

I bought 6 Delton AR-15's new with full factory warranty for $449 each. Wholesale and sold them for $500. Many others are advertised for sale from $499, Omni, Bushmaster. Complete ready to fire with mag and manufactures warranty. I don't understand building a franken gun with nothing in resale and no warranty. Are you really saving any money??
    AquaHull likes this.

NO Way,but is satisfies the BRD and I don't hold an FFL like you should have

My Frankenguns have Daniel Defense and FN CHF mid length barrels and AO Precision BCG's though with BCM receiver mil spec extensions and Magpul furniture and Spikes ST-T2 buffers ,ALG triggers and they all with out perform the $449 Delton all day any day.

The $449 DelTon is a decent entry level weapon though, better than BushMaster and Omni IMO.
    Last edited by AquaHull; 02-09-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Grabagun daily special 2-9-15. Front page of their website. Delton AR-15 sport 556 lite 16 inch 30 rd mag. Buy it today price, $499. Talk to your local dealer and order one. What's the problem?? It's not a wholesaler dealer price. You can order one it just needs to shipped to your dealer. What's a transfer fee $20-$25.

If it shoots MOA who cares. Read the review on Gunblast website for the Delton sport if you don't believe me. Having a fancy hand guard, grip, and spring doesn't it make it a better gun. How about the life time warranty???

I'm not trying to belittle your building a gun. If that's what you want, great. I'm just pointing out to "OTHERS" what you can get for the same money without the work/hassle. AR prices are rock bottom right now and everyone should take advantage while they can. If you can save money building good for you.

I've had a DelTon before,it's a good gun,I just like my home assembles better. I have $550 in a Danny Defense Assembly,with $650 into my Spikes Assembly, and $500 into the PSA assemblies which I just bought the complete upper and asembled the lowers on.

I think doing an AR build is advantageous for the experience and knowledge of how it goes together. You can also pick and choose parts if you care to.

The savings is nice, but I don't think I'd build one for savings alone.
    AquaHull and stillacitizen2 like this.

The Good Cop

I didn't really need another offensive/defensive rifle and wanted a cheap centerfire plinker so I bought a used Mini 14 for $350 + tax.
    Done. No assembly required.
    Diver and AquaHull like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links