7.62x39 API
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 API

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 API within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; What are API rounds actually capable of? Can they take out car engines? I'm really new to this round and guns in general and I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 API

7.62x39 API

What are API rounds actually capable of? Can they take out car engines? I'm really new to this round and guns in general and I couldn't find too much info about these.

I have shot a bunch of junk cars in my life goofing around and looking at 5 he damage. Any rifle will break a motor block on a car. Obviously the bigger the rifle the more effective. No doubt a 7.62 x 39 will damage the block on the average car. It may take more than one to stop it and it will take time for the water and oil to leek out. Same situation with a bmg 50 just less shots and less time.

A 12 gauge slug will definitely do it. So will a 270.
    MisterX likes this.

So API 7.62 would definitely do the trick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have some but never shot any. I'm saving it for 'That day".
    Take some video for us when you shoot some!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
    So API 7.62 would definitely do the trick.
    Not really with 7.62X38 (AK47 and SKS), Now a The 308 AKA 7.62X 51 (NATO) in an AP round different story .
    The 7.62 X 39 losses it's energy quickly
    I am not posting that test on line.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 12-08-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
    What are API rounds actually capable of? Can they take out car engines? I'm really new to this round and guns in general and I couldn't find too much info about these.
    AP and API are not the same. AP=Armor Piercing, API=Armor Piercing Incendiary.
    If you really have API, let us know where you got them, I'd love to have some.
    As far as AP and engine blocks, I once took a head on, through the grille opening, (no radiator) shot at an old wrecked Plymouth to see what M2 AP (30-06) would do to the block. Distance was maybe 40 yards. I was in the kneeling position for a fairly steady aim. Projectile hit the V-8 block right where the cylinder head bolted on, ricocheted back, struck me in the knee (another inch and it would have got my intestines). The copper jacket separated at some point after impact with the engine and struck the person standing next to me in the face.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Just take out the radiator, the cloud of steam will prevent the driver from seeing and it will overheat fairly rapidly. Don't know how long to seize up the engine, though.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Would it not be better to just take out the driver and eliminate the whole threat?
    Chipper likes this.

Yugo API (Black and Red tip) I procured a box from a friend, but haven't had any luck getting my hands on any more.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    AP and API are not the same. AP=Armor Piercing, API=Armor Piercing Incendiary.
    If you really have API, let us know where you got them, I'd love to have some.
    As far as AP and engine blocks, I once took a head on, through the grille opening, (no radiator) shot at an old wrecked Plymouth to see what M2 AP (30-06) would do to the block. Distance was maybe 40 yards. I was in the kneeling position for a fairly steady aim. Projectile hit the V-8 block right where the cylinder head bolted on, ricocheted back, struck me in the knee (another inch and it would have got my intestines). The copper jacket separated at some point after impact with the engine and struck the person standing next to me in the face.
    Holy smokes!
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links