Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

7.62x39 API

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  luminaughty 
#1 ·
What are API rounds actually capable of? Can they take out car engines? I'm really new to this round and guns in general and I couldn't find too much info about these. :)

#2 ·
I have shot a bunch of junk cars in my life goofing around and looking at 5 he damage. Any rifle will break a motor block on a car. Obviously the bigger the rifle the more effective. No doubt a 7.62 x 39 will damage the block on the average car. It may take more than one to stop it and it will take time for the water and oil to leek out. Same situation with a bmg 50 just less shots and less time.

A 12 gauge slug will definitely do it. So will a 270.

#5 · (Edited)
Not really with 7.62X38 (AK47 and SKS), Now a The 308 AKA 7.62X 51 (NATO) in an AP round different story .
The 7.62 X 39 losses it's energy quickly
I am not posting that test on line.

#6 ·
AP and API are not the same. AP=Armor Piercing, API=Armor Piercing Incendiary.
If you really have API, let us know where you got them, I'd love to have some.
As far as AP and engine blocks, I once took a head on, through the grille opening, (no radiator) shot at an old wrecked Plymouth to see what M2 AP (30-06) would do to the block. Distance was maybe 40 yards. I was in the kneeling position for a fairly steady aim. Projectile hit the V-8 block right where the cylinder head bolted on, ricocheted back, struck me in the knee (another inch and it would have got my intestines). The copper jacket separated at some point after impact with the engine and struck the person standing next to me in the face.

#11 ·
I have some 7.62X51 and X39 API I got from a friend years ago. I haven't shot the X39 but did shoot a few rounds of the X51 a few years ago and it certainly worked just fine :)
Can you even buy this stuff? Is it legal to purchase if you happen to stumble on it on-line?

#12 ·
I doubt that it will take out an engine. Maybe a cars aluminum block but not a cast iron block. Of course it will take out radiators, electronics, fuel tanks, carbs, tires etc that will stall the vehicle.

But it sure will go right through glass and steel doors. Adjust your aim and take out the real problem driving the vehicle. Save the truck for future use for yourself.

#17 ·
Any AP handgun ammo is illegal. Rifle AP is legal for an individual to own. I have not paid attention for the last 10 or so years to see if it is still sold.
I still have some WWII 30-06 AP, and some tracer but at 70 years old it probably won't trace anymore. WWII American snipers liked the AP because it was supposedly more accurate.

Reactions: SDF880
#14 ·
I know that pistol AP rounds are pretty much illegal everywhere. I also know that the only way you can get ap and api rounds is privately, I don't think ffl dealers are allowed to sell them and they're not legal to import but you can own them. That's atleast what I picked up while researching them.

#16 ·
In the late 70's to 80's there was a lot of 30.06 AP rounds to be had. They dried up fast around then. You could ID them by the black tips

Reactions: rice paddy daddy
#19 ·
The 7.62x39 does not have enough power or weight to be an actual AP round. There is not even any real AP rounds for it in the U.S. In the 80's or 90's china imported some steel core rounds but they are not true AP rounds the cores are made of mild steel and a AP round has a hard core such as tungsten. I have fire both steel core and standard lead core fmj ammo in 7.62x39 and they both have the SAME penetration into hard targets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.