7.62x39 API - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 API

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 API within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have some 7.62X51 and X39 API I got from a friend years ago. I haven't shot the X39 but did shoot a few rounds ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 API

I have some 7.62X51 and X39 API I got from a friend years ago. I haven't shot the X39 but did shoot a few rounds of the X51 a few years ago and it certainly worked just fine
    Can you even buy this stuff? Is it legal to purchase if you happen to stumble on it on-line?

I doubt that it will take out an engine. Maybe a cars aluminum block but not a cast iron block. Of course it will take out radiators, electronics, fuel tanks, carbs, tires etc that will stall the vehicle.

But it sure will go right through glass and steel doors. Adjust your aim and take out the real problem driving the vehicle. Save the truck for future use for yourself.

Got an old chum who got himself a felony for possessing one AP round in .357 mag which the local constabulary found while coon fingering around in his car. A fellow had given it him about 30 years earlier and he did not even own a gun which would shoot it. Yall be careful out there.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I know that pistol AP rounds are pretty much illegal everywhere. I also know that the only way you can get ap and api rounds is privately, I don't think ffl dealers are allowed to sell them and they're not legal to import but you can own them. That's atleast what I picked up while researching them.

Just checked looks like the API I had was in with the stuff I lost in the boat accident last year.

In the late 70's to 80's there was a lot of 30.06 AP rounds to be had. They dried up fast around then. You could ID them by the black tips
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Got an old chum who got himself a felony for possessing one AP round in .357 mag which the local constabulary found while coon fingering around in his car. A fellow had given it him about 30 years earlier and he did not even own a gun which would shoot it. Yall be careful out there.
    Any AP handgun ammo is illegal. Rifle AP is legal for an individual to own. I have not paid attention for the last 10 or so years to see if it is still sold.
    I still have some WWII 30-06 AP, and some tracer but at 70 years old it probably won't trace anymore. WWII American snipers liked the AP because it was supposedly more accurate.
    SDF880 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    Holy smokes!
    Yep. Stupid is as stupid does. I learned a very valuable lesson.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The 7.62x39 does not have enough power or weight to be an actual AP round. There is not even any real AP rounds for it in the U.S. In the 80's or 90's china imported some steel core rounds but they are not true AP rounds the cores are made of mild steel and a AP round has a hard core such as tungsten. I have fire both steel core and standard lead core fmj ammo in 7.62x39 and they both have the SAME penetration into hard targets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links