Round Nose Bullets Still Cool - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Round Nose Bullets Still Cool

This is a discussion on Round Nose Bullets Still Cool within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by SOCOM42 Correct on both smithing and Geneva. We used shotguns on the Japs because they were not convention signers, we used shotguns ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Round Nose Bullets Still Cool

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Correct on both smithing and Geneva.

We used shotguns on the Japs because they were not convention signers, we used shotguns in Europa, but for guard duty by MP's.

A standard ball gun will not reliably feed other than ball reliably, a throating job is needed along with modified magazines.

I have done hundreds over the decades, no matter how well they are done, some will fail to feed at some point.

My work was to make them feed semi wadcutters, a lot harder to do than HP rounds.
    We used shotguns in Vietnam, too. Mainly Stevens 67's.
    Plastic shotshells had not been invented yet, and paper hulls would swell badly from the jungle humidity, so the Army used brass shells.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Actually, there's not too much I can't get done with just three firearms.
    A 45 Automatic firing USGI Hard Ball, a 22LR rifle, and a 30-30 lever action firing 150 grain jacketed soft points.

Everything after that is just gravy on the meat and potatoes.
    stevekozak and Murdock67 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Plastic shotshells had not been invented yet, and paper hulls would swell badly from the jungle humidity, so the Army used brass shells.
    The army had to relearn several times on those shells, first with the Philippine insurrection, then WW1,

had the same problem again during the banana wars.

Then WW2 came along and it had to be relearned, Korea was next,

then back in the jungles of Central America for another repeat, finally Nam.

The biggest cause of the problem was army did not want to pay for all brass shells, opting for the paper instead every time.

Remington came out with the plastic ones around 1960 IRRC.

During that span of history, the only ones who regularly got all brass shells were the federal prisons,

reason was of the loading and unloading every shift.

I have a few boxes of issue all brass shells,

there were a huge amount of them on the market in the late 50's and early 60's, Korean war surplus.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Kind of looking for a few of these round nose/ They are not cheap and harder to come by. And I will not covert the rifle. Co9me on everyone should have at least one odd ball in the vault.
    .41 10.4X38 Rim fire

Round Nose Bullets Still Cool-41.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 10-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

My truck gun at this point in time is a Stevens 67E. Some people may think they are not as good as Remington or Mossberg, but I'll bet my life on this one.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Kind of looking for a few of these round nose/ They are not cheap and harder to come by. And I will not covert the rifle. Co9me on everyone should have at least one odd ball in the vault.
    .41 10.4X38 Rim fire

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	108971
    Try Buffalo Arms, or Old Western Scrounger.
    www.buffaloarms.com/ammunition
    www.ows-ammo.com

Try Buffalo Arms, or Old Western Scrounger.
    www.buffaloarms.com/ammunition
    www.ows-ammo.com
    They have out of stock bullets and the cases they have are for a converted center fire. I have not fire it in 40 years or so

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    A lot of the better grade modern guns have the throating done to a certain extent.

My Colt Commander came done, I just refined it a bit, my S&W SS 1911 has it done, have not touched that one.

Most match grade guns have throating done.

The Wilson-Rogers mags have the correct lip configuration to feed ball, HP, and WC match ammo properly, those are all that I use.
    I use Wilson mags also.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

My truck gun at this point in time is a Stevens 67E. Some people may think they are not as good as Remington or Mossberg, but I'll bet my life on this one.
    Stevens made a lot of very good affordable firearm
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Stevens made a lot of very good affordable firearm
    Agreed. I have two of their 12 ga single shots, one from the 1930's.
    And a bolt action, 5 shot, 22LR farm rifle.

Stevens is still around, owned by Savage Arms.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links