CLP question.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CLP question.

This is a discussion on CLP question. within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Is CLP ok to use on guns with wood furniture..like my lever guns... ? The can says "safe to use on NORMAL finishes" whatever that ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: CLP question.

CLP question.

Is CLP ok to use on guns with wood furniture..like my lever guns... ? The can says "safe to use on NORMAL finishes" whatever that means. I have searched the subject some on the interweb, but can find no clear answer.
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

I've never had an problems with it. I don't go rubbing it into the wood or anything (like Hickok45 does with Ballistol), but it has never hurt any of my grips or stocks.
    Smitty901, 65mustang and Lisa93 like this.

I use it on all my guns and have never had a problem, including my Henrys.
    Smitty901, Lisa93, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes. CLP is good stuff.
    Piratesailor, 65mustang and Lisa93 like this.

I love CLP.
    Lisa93 likes this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Good shit Maynard....
    Lisa93 likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Yes. CLP is good stuff.
    It must be. It's made in Jacksonville, Florida.

I've been ussing it for years, even before it became mainstream.
    But I am very careful of the wood/metal junctions on my rifles. That is the end grain of the wood, and it will suck up any liquid that contacts it. Ever seen what oil does to the wood on a 50, 60, 70 year old milsurp rifle?

For my wood rifle stocks, I wipe them down with Pledge spray furniture wax once a year or so. Every 4 or 5 years I use Johnson's Paste Wax, especially in the forearm barrel channel.
    Slippy and Lisa93 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa93 View Post
    Is CLP ok to use on guns with wood furniture..like my lever guns... ? The can says "safe to use on NORMAL finishes" whatever that means. I have searched the subject some on the interweb, but can find no clear answer.
    Unless you live in a sandy environment, a small amount of grease on the receiver rails where the bolt rides is a good thing. It doesn't take much, I apply it with a tooth pick. Since I'm a gear head, I always have a tub of wheel bearing grease around, and that is what I use.
    White lithium grease will work, and you can get that in tubes like toothpaste at O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts. One $6.99 tube should last your lifetime.

For those with M1 Carbines, M1 Garands and Springfield M1A's, grease is ESSENTIAL on the bolt lug that engages the operating rod.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I use USGI gun grease,and USGI wheel bearing grease in the form of, Grease, automotive and artillery.

CLP was banned while I was in the guard for changing the firing tables for 81 MM and 4.2 inch mortars.

Charge and tube angle are determined by the range from the target, they are very precise.

Each lot of ammo has its own tables in the boxes it comes in.

The 105 MM M102 Howitzers also had the problem,

they are indirect fire weapons and rely on those tables for accurate fire.

I gave away the two gallon cans of it I had when the bulletin came out, have not use it since.

I also use USGI PL SPECIAL, PL MEDIUM, LAW and LSA.
    Lisa93 likes this.

I'm kinda partial to Ballistol.
    Slippy and Lisa93 like this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links