Supply of firearms and ammo - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Supply of firearms and ammo

This is a discussion on Supply of firearms and ammo within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy About 20 years ago I had the realization that once I retired my supply of cash for "extras" such ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Supply of firearms and ammo

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    About 20 years ago I had the realization that once I retired my supply of cash for "extras" such as ammo would be non existant.
    So, I started spending $10 to $20 every payday, buying a box or two.

There were some splurges along the way, such as 440 round spam cans of 1954 Bulgarian military surplus 7.62X54R for $45 each. My Mosin Nagant's are set for life.
    Or the USGI M2 Ball military surplus for my Garand aat $9.99 per 20 round box. My Garand is set for a long, long time.
    Or, the 50 round boxes of Remington 32-20 JSP for my barn yard defender - 1921 Colt Police Positive, that were priced $15 each at an estate sale. I bought all there were.

I have enough that I moved it all out into the barn, in case there was ever a house fire. There's only a few hundred rounds of various calibers in the actual house.
    I have ammo for all my firearms, 22 different calibers and gauges. Some, only a few hundred rounds, some in the thousands.

I never have to ever buy amo for the rest of my life, but I still replace what I shoot.
    Just curious, how does your ammo hold up over time in a barn with that Florida heat? I would think that could potentially be hard on the primeRs or gun powder. Especially non corrosive ammo.
    Annie likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Just curious, how does your ammo hold up over time in a barn with that Florida heat? I would think that could potentially be hard on the primeRs or gun powder. Especially non corrosive ammo.
    Military ammo was made with corrosive primers because that particular chemical compound holds up the best under less than ideal storage conditions.
    I have had some Norma 8MM Mauser since the 70’s and other than some corrosion on some of the cases it’s fine.
    In the late 70’s I was firing some 30-06 headstamped 1918 that came in 100 round cloth belts for a Browning machine gun.

Some of my stock is in GI ammo cans, some is inside an old non working refrigerator, some is simply stacked in cabinets.
    The internet is full of “experts” who give advice on ammo storage. I ignore them.

Several years ago, as an experiment, I fired .357 ammo that had been in guns and as reloads that had been in my truck for several years.
    In the winter, some times it gets into the twenties, in the Florida summer vehicle interior temps will be 140 or more.
    All the rounds fired just fine. I do not have a chronograph so I don’t know if velocity was affected, but everything seemed OK.
    inceptor, Slippy, Camel923 and 2 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    About 20 years ago I had the realization that once I retired my supply of cash for "extras" such as ammo would be non existant.
    So, I started spending $10 to $20 every payday, buying a box or two.

There were some splurges along the way, such as 440 round spam cans of 1954 Bulgarian military surplus 7.62X54R for $45 each. My Mosin Nagant's are set for life.
    Or the USGI M2 Ball military surplus for my Garand aat $9.99 per 20 round box. My Garand is set for a long, long time.
    Or, the 50 round boxes of Remington 32-20 JSP for my barn yard defender - 1921 Colt Police Positive, that were priced $15 each at an estate sale. I bought all there were.

I have enough that I moved it all out into the barn, in case there was ever a house fire. There's only a few hundred rounds of various calibers in the actual house.
    I have ammo for all my firearms, 22 different calibers and gauges. Some, only a few hundred rounds, some in the thousands.

I never have to ever buy amo for the rest of my life, but I still replace what I shoot.
    Ditto! About 20 years ago I started the same habit. Every time I entered a store that sold ammo, I left with SOMETHING. Most times a box or two. When times were lean, a small box of .22. Flush, I would buy an ammo can of 5.56. Sale on 00 Buck? Grab several. Mind you, this was before all the "shortages" on the shelves, and ammo was much cheaper... sometimes used as a leader item. I'll never have to buy another round. But I likely will LOL.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I am well stocked on ammo and guns. I have been buying as little as a box or two to as much as a case of any particular ammo every week for years. I am an army of one and have more ammo then I will survive to shoot if it comes to it. Which is a good thing, because if your looking for any quantity in ammo now, good luck. The shelves are bare here In Houston and have been for a while now. I managed to score 2 boxes of 30-06 about a month ago and that's been pretty much it. Guns are pretty much the same and if you do find something besides the odd shotgun or bolt action it will be pricey.

If you ain't stocked by now your SOL.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    BamaDoc

PLEASE...do what you need to do to protect your family. You can easily had a Maverick 88 and a case of 12 g shells so your wife never finds out. Just in case SHTF in B'ham.

Muggers/Rapists/HomeInvaders could care less that your wife is a pacifist. Raping a pacifist is just as good to them as a non pacifist. It is YOUR responsibility to protect her...and your kids (if you have them) and yourself.
    This! And honestly, if a woman threatened to leave me for my having a means to protect her, i would give her a good long hug and say "I sure am going to miss you, Darling."

I am Ok with ammo and have plenty of firearms to do the job. I also bought ammo on a steady trickle up until recently. Ammo is still available for the most part on-line, but you will pay up for it, but that it expected given the current climate.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Looked at one of the wholesale suppliers I use this morning. Checked pistols and they have 2018 items or guns listed that they will inventory. Only 45 available in stock and of that 29 22lr's and 5 more where encore single shot's. So when you see the local gun store empty remember they have nothing to available to resupply.

What's next over inflated prices and price gouging. Take a look on Gunbroker and see for yourself some of the prices the idiots are bidding and paying. Sure glad I learned my lesson in 2008.

My plan is to wait another month or two and make a killing selling all the cheap stuff. That I bought the last couple years.
    Last edited by Chipper; 07-16-2020 at 07:16 AM.
    RedLion and Michael_Js like this.

A neighbor came over the other day and said he was having a problem finding 38 special and could I help him find some. Since I reload, I was not aware that there were shortages. Boy was I surprised when I looked around. Nobody had any !

I offered to give him some reloads, I have plenty of brass, bullets and such. Now I have to get busy and make some.

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Ditto! About 20 years ago I started the same habit. Every time I entered a store that sold ammo, I left with SOMETHING. Most times a box or two. When times were lean, a small box of .22. Flush, I would buy an ammo can of 5.56. Sale on 00 Buck? Grab several. Mind you, this was before all the "shortages" on the shelves, and ammo was much cheaper... sometimes used as a leader item. I'll never have to buy another round. But I likely will LOL.

I could never do the weekly thing, never go anywhere and only one local store sells ammo, this is an anti gun state..

I would add stuff for myself to an order, when the shortages appeared 12 years ago,

I took all of it off the shelves and put it in ammo cans that went into hiding.

Now this references secondary ammo, primary was bought 5-10 K at a time in the past,

sold some to cover my cost, then rest ratholed.

I work on guns for a profession, albeit part time now, shoot only what I need to at this age.

Two years ago I bought 3,000 rounds of 38 special from brownells,

thought I was a little short, nothing special, just 158 gr. round nose.

They were nice and threw in 200 extra rounds, that I did not catch until months later when putting it away.

This is not a primary round, 9 MM Para is in pistol rounds, I may have posted it at the time.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 07-16-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Michael_Js and StratMaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    I am Ok with ammo and have plenty of firearms to do the job. I also bought ammo on a steady trickle up until recently. Ammo is still available for the most part on-line, but you will pay up for it, but that it expected given the current climate.
    And expect to wait for it! I placed a small ammo order over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn’t shipped. The retailer claims he has it in stock but slow shipping due to Covid. Seems the virus gets blamed for everything.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links